Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drug Drug Druggy heard in Prague, Czechoslavia (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62993)

Bonesy 24-03-2019 03:26

Drug Drug Druggy heard in Prague, Czechoslavia

So I spent September 2018 living in Prague. Prague is fucking beautiful in September. The weather is still good but there aren't so many tourists around. I lived around the back of Prague Castle and would often go for a walk up around Petrin Gardens as the sun went down and would gaze over the Vltava and all the lights of the city in the distance. It was special.

Anyway one night I was out running near Prague Castle and as I passed a bar I heard a familiar song. It was a guitar solo that I'd heard before but not for a while. It was Drug Drug Druggy.

I didn't go into the bar as I'm a wanton alcoholic but found it to be quite strange. Do the Czechs have a Manics problem? Why this song in particular?

Drug Drug Druggy sounds like a commercial for a breakfast cereal targeted at young children. The chorus line should be Yum Yum Yummy. Toasted oats with sweet lush honey!

See?

Son of Stopped 24-03-2019 12:50

It would be amazing to have a Czech fanbase but I think it could possibly be an expat playing the track.
It is great recognising tracks by their guitar solos. Proper unable to put a foot forward because you're too busy thinking "Damn, what is this? I know it! I know it!" etc.

Europa Gluten Free 24-03-2019 13:51

Let's not shit on the Drug Drug Druggy parade but it's more likely some Spotify algorithm spitting it out as part of some playlist.

Bonesy 24-03-2019 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2678385)
It would be amazing to have a Czech fanbase but I think it could possibly be an expat playing the track.
It is great recognising tracks by their guitar solos. Proper unable to put a foot forward because you're too busy thinking "Damn, what is this? I know it! I know it!" etc.

I think they actually are pretty popular there.

The people seem to be very Scottish over there. Everyone looks angry and drunk and they are really Godless too which is excellent and you can buy cannabis in a lot of the pubs in Prague 3.

Bonesy 24-03-2019 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free (Post 2678386)
Let's not shit on the Drug Drug Druggy parade but it's more likely some Spotify algorithm spitting it out as part of some playlist.

Could well be. What song afterward would convince you it was not a shitty algorithm?

handbag 24-03-2019 15:17

When I think of Bratislava I think of Hostel, so the song seems fitting.

LA ex 24-03-2019 20:42

Can't say I've ever heard the Manics played when overseas (asides from Tolerate when in Australia), but if I heard a fairly obscure album track being played in a pub as I walked past I'd definitely go in for a drink.

Elizabeth M 24-03-2019 21:13

We had a very successful screening of No Manifesto in Prague.

Bonesy 24-03-2019 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth M (Post 2678392)
We had a very successful screening of No Manifesto in Prague.

cool whereabouts did you screen it?

prague strikes me as somewhere where the manics would be surprisingly big.

Suicide Aldi 24-03-2019 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2678391)
Can't say I've ever heard the Manics played when overseas (asides from Tolerate when in Australia), but if I heard a fairly obscure album track being played in a pub as I walked past I'd definitely go in for a drink.

I heard your love alone in italy in about 2009.

Dac X Lee 25-03-2019 00:09

I grew up in Croatia and it's nothing unusual to hear a Manics' song every here and there. Rare, sure, but not that surprising.

Korea, on the other hand....
I should have signed that day I heard Anthem for a Lost Cause on the calendar and celebrate it each year.

Bonesy 25-03-2019 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac X Lee (Post 2678397)
I grew up in Croatia and it's nothing unusual to hear a Manics' song every here and there. Rare, sure, but not that surprising.

Korea, on the other hand....
I should have signed that day I heard Anthem for a Lost Cause on the calendar and celebrate it each year.

Whereabouts you from? I spent October in Split and did nothing but eat ice cream at the harbour and feed the stray cats sardines.

Dac X Lee 25-03-2019 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonesy (Post 2678400)
Whereabouts you from? I spent October in Split and did nothing but eat ice cream at the harbour and feed the stray cats sardines.

I'm from Umag. It's in Istria, on the boarder with Slovenia and Italy.
Split is nice, full of historical cultural heritage. Were you on holidays, or something else?

sculptureofabloke 26-03-2019 08:04

I'm going next week, will keep me ear out.

Donkey 15-05-2019 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonesy (Post 2678387)
I think they actually are pretty popular there.

The people seem to be very Scottish over there. Everyone looks angry and drunk and they are really Godless too which is excellent and you can buy cannabis in a lot of the pubs in Prague 3.

Interesting you found a way to buy grass in Czech Republic, it never happened to me when I lived there and it was more than 30 years. But it's actually sad to hear. Anyway be sure I wouldn' look friendly at you either when you called the country Czechoslavia :-D

There are Manics fans there, there is a pub in Ostrava where you can ask for The Holy Bible and you get it. But tge fans are growing old with the band.