Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   In praise of Nick's vocals (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62878)

Phil C 28-06-2018 16:40

I'd not thought about the Nick-sung demos when I started this thread but it's a good point - there are some good ones there. I need to make a playlist...can anyone help me out? Without listening to them all again, these are the ones I remember;

She Bathed In A Bath Of Bleach.
Marlon J.D.
(It's Not War) Just The End Of Love
Some Kind Of Nothingness
Rewind The Film
4-Lonely Roads
Divine Youth

I *think* there's a version of 'Your Love Alone' but not sure. Are there any others?

UEF 29-06-2018 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil C (Post 2674560)
I'd not thought about the Nick-sung demos when I started this thread but it's a good point - there are some good ones there. I need to make a playlist...can anyone help me out? Without listening to them all again, these are the ones I remember;

She Bathed In A Bath Of Bleach.
Marlon J.D.
(It's Not War) Just The End Of Love
Some Kind Of Nothingness
Rewind The Film
4-Lonely Roads
Divine Youth

I *think* there's a version of 'Your Love Alone' but not sure. Are there any others?

The cassette version of it with different music

Also The Future Has Been Here 4ever

Phil C 29-06-2018 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2674569)
The cassette version of it with different music

Also The Future Has Been Here 4ever

I wasn't including the ones he sings the proper versions of.

I'd forgotten he sings the Futurology demo.

Routine Builder 29-06-2018 10:39

Is there anywhere to listen to that It's Not War demo? I was quite fond of it at the time but I can't find it anywhere....

cherrybomb 13-02-2019 23:51

I remember when TIMTTMY came out much was made of the fact that it was the first album to feature Nickys vocals on a track and I believed this to be the case for the best part of twenty years until I noticed one day that it is Nicky who sings the line 'Roses in the Hospital'. How on Earth did I miss that for so long? He's right up there in the mix.

sculptureofabloke 22-02-2019 19:07

I like taking the piss out of Nicky's vocals.. Don't think he could ever be called a good singer, but I could say that about many of my favourite singers anyway. Being in the same band as James Dean Bradfield does him no favours in that department cos fucking hell that lad can sing...

Anyway, between Ballad of Bangkok Novotel and Wattsville Blues my immediate thought was fucking hell, don't let Nicky near a microphone again. Bit harsh with hindsight, I've got used to his voice and when his vocals work they work. If I try to imagine stuff like William's Last Words or The Left Behind with a James lead vocal, think they work better with Nicky's. On those two songs in particular, while his vocals are deeper I think there's more fragility than just about anything James has sang coming through. But then on the other hand, seeing him sing No Feelings last year was brilliant. I'd love it if that was a sign of things to come.

everlasting 24-02-2019 20:11

It's more than easy to say Nicky is poor when you hear James singing before him on songs, but I played JFPL today for the first time in a bit and Nicky's song on there is pretty tender and beautiful. I don't mind any of Nicky's vocals to be honest.

Marat Sar 24-02-2019 23:11

Nicky's vocals are just as "manicsey" to me as JDB's. He just sounds so so Manic Street Preachers -- a vulnerable welsh accented punk drawl. Indispensable part of the band for me.

Dac X Lee 25-02-2019 02:26

Here's my personal summing up of the two guys' voices comparisons.

James's voice makes me feel happy and euphoric.
Nicky's voice sounds like a warm hug of comfort.

Borderliner 27-02-2019 21:10

Listening to Dying Breeds <3

"I believe in you. Do you believe in me?" Gets me every time.

sofarsideways 27-02-2019 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac X Lee (Post 2677906)
Nicky's voice sounds like a warm hug of comfort.

YES. I’ve always said his voice is like a mug of hot chocolate and a cuddle. Pure heart and warmth.

Dac X Lee 27-02-2019 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofarsideways (Post 2678047)
YES. I’ve always said his voice is like a mug of hot chocolate and a cuddle. Pure heart and warmth.

Yay! Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. ♥
*high five*