Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

Son of Stopped 25-06-2017 12:34

I don't give a shit how much you were impressed by the Foo Fighters set at Glastonbury.
Not one of their songs has an eighth of the substance the Manics songs have!
Foo's might have more Rock riffs and big choruses. But you could drown in a Manics song.
You could only get your foot wet in a Foo Fighters puddle!

The Gutless Wonder 25-06-2017 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2666169)
I don't give a shit how much you were impressed by the Foo Fighters set at Glastonbury.
Foo's might have more Rock riffs and big choruses. But you could drown in a Manics song.

Angry Aaron is angry! :D I enjoyed the Foos, not a patch on the Manics of course!

Son of Stopped 25-06-2017 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder (Post 2666170)
Angry Aaron is angry! :D I enjoyed the Foos, not a patch on the Manics of course!

I'm not that angry! Although it does explain why nobody responds to my Valentine messages.
I'm just seeing a lot of people saying they were great. But not Manics level great!

raven 25-06-2017 13:37

Not Nirvana are they?

:)

Porco 25-06-2017 16:46

Quote:

I love the Foo Fighters (though I haven't actually watched them from last night yet), but I wouldn't ever have said they had as much substance to their songs as the Manics... A ninth or tenth of the substance of the Manics' best work would be a hearty compliment for most bands in my book... ! They can still both be great in their own ways. *shrugs*

The Gutless Wonder 25-06-2017 19:10

Sometimes you just want to 'PARTY HARD!!!!!!!!!!!' :D

sculptureofabloke 26-06-2017 09:19

Quote:

Eh, substance isn't everything. I'd be hard pressed to tell you the last time I chose to listen to Foo Fighters, I've still got Colour And Shape and Nothing Left To Lose on a shelf somewhere.. I've got no idea what Foo Fighters' principles and ideals are, and got no urgency to know either. I did like them serenading that Westboro protest a couple of years back, that was good.

Course as much as anyone on here I to indulge in a bit of chin stroking and abyss staring along with the Holy Bible, but as the band themselves will attest, sometimes you just want some dumb fun. Doesn't have to be a point besides that. If people want to use their music to make a point, great. If they'd rather shy away from politics, course that's fine too, but anyone who expects artists, entertainers, celebrities, fucking teachers and doctors to stay out of politics can get to fuck. Read a few comments dotted about, about Corbyn at Glastonbury. Apparently Glastonbury isn't the time or the place for politics, who the fuck knew eh? Seen a few armchair keyboard warriors talking as if Corbyn's ten minute speech ruined the whole festival, the hundreds or even thousands of performers, the usual charitable causes and protests that have apparently never been a part of Glastonbury... Kin hell, people... I know we've got a few Tories on here, and you know what, fair play to em for being able to be a fan of the band, separating the artist from the art, or even the lyrics from the music at times. Don't remember anyone saying oh fuck, 30 Year War is an attack on my belief system, I can't like Motorcycle Emptiness anymore.

hummingbird 26-06-2017 17:00

I like the foos .. have 3 or 4 albums .. no interest in buying any more.
Their set dragged a bit on Saturday... didn't realise they'd turned into Queen :)

AK47 28-06-2017 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird (Post 2666188)
I like the foos .. have 3 or 4 albums .. no interest in buying any more.
Their set dragged a bit on Saturday... didn't realise they'd turned into Queen :)

I've never felt compelled to listen to the Foo Fighters - I don't know why as I absolutely love Dave Grohl as a frontman and he gives brilliant interviews. I feel a bit bad for not feeling an urge to listen to the music.

raven 28-06-2017 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2666185)
Kin hell, people... I know we've got a few Tories on here, and you know what, fair play to em for being able to be a fan of the band, separating the artist from the art, or even the lyrics from the music at times. Don't remember anyone saying oh fuck, 30 Year War is an attack on my belief system, I can't like Motorcycle Emptiness anymore.

Tis one big damn puzzler though that one

darkanddivine 28-06-2017 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 2666202)
I've never felt compelled to listen to the Foo Fighters - I don't know why as I absolutely love Dave Grohl as a frontman and he gives brilliant interviews. I feel a bit bad for not feeling an urge to listen to the music.

I stopped going to their gigs after 2005, because the setlist became stagnant and they rely on antics and pre-planned "jams." So at Glasto they played for 2 and a half hours, but did around 20 tracks with a characteristic sag in the middle and too much messing about. I'd be lying if I didn't say I snuck out to do the dishes, which probably says all that needs to be said!

They were a good recording band up til In Your Honor. Since then, you'll get the odd decent track, but the whole albums are a bit hit and miss. Wasting light is the closest they've come to making a decent record again, and the new single is decent, but they aren't the machine they once were.

Otherwise, I'm just going to assume nobody is coming to the Foo's party for meaningful lyrics right?

Frozendiva 29-06-2017 03:18

Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. Just find them inoffensive.

sculptureofabloke 29-06-2017 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven (Post 2666203)
Tis one big damn puzzler though that one

Yeah... white supremacy aside, Skrewdriver have some great tunes. Said noone ever.

Dancing Kirby 29-06-2017 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozendiva (Post 2666207)
Don't love 'em, don't hate 'em. Just find them inoffensive.

Foo Fighters will never write anything as offensive as Autumnsong.

IntlDebris 29-06-2017 16:36

Maybe I was just more of an indie kid, but I always found the Foo Fighters the absolute worst example of meat and potatoes American alt rock. Nothing about them ever appeal to me on any level.