Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   GATS reissue? (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63088)

IntlDebris 13-10-2019 11:05

The singles are the only songs on the album I like, so a reissue would give me an opportunity to revisit it, without looking at it on the shelf and then going "nah I'll just pop EMG on instead".

rosetree 13-10-2019 12:13

I love GATS and all the songs that have Richey's input throughout. A special edition with lots more detail extra songs and a film would be great.

someone, somewhere, soon 14-10-2019 09:57

Fairly predictable collection for this one I'd say - it's obviously not going to be an anniversary reissue, celebrated with album-in-full gigs etc (although i'd love to be proved wrong) - but hopefully if Nicky's getting behind it it'll come out as more than just the usual label round up type deluxe edition you get chucked out for prestige bands' lesser albums.

at a guess we'll get a double disc set in a 3 panel case, like the EMG20 CD:

1:
remastered album plus the b-sides (minus the Heavenly / live versions of the GT tracks on the singles... but maybe M*A*S*H on there?)

2:
the 8 House In The Woods demos Nicky's teased us with
the various Roses / La Tristesse remixes
some live tracks - Club Citta, Milton Keynes maybe?
hopefully some other stuff (if memory serves, wasn't there a US promo / single mix of Sleepflower done?)

...plus hopefully a vinyl reissue!

IntlDebris 14-10-2019 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon (Post 2680354)
but maybe M*A*S*H on there?

Unlikely, it was on the GT reissue.

I reckon we'll get a TIMT-style book reissue with a similarly structured album.

CD1: Remastered album
CD2: Demos
CD3: B-sides:
Hibernation
Patrick Bateman
Us Against You
Donkeys
Wrote for Luck
Comfort Comes
Are Mothers Saints
Charles Windsor
What's My Name (Live)
Roses In The Hospital (O G Psychovocal Mix)
Roses In The Hospital (O G Psychomental Mix)
Roses In The Hospital (51 Funk Salute Mix)
Roses In The Hospital (Filet-O-Gang Mix)
Roses In The Hospital (ECG Mix)

UEF 14-10-2019 13:02

Worth a go for the sheer rock and roll of it all

Plus some more demos that aren't from the "people will hear these one day" era

Also will tide us over till KYE20 (christ) and LB20 (bloody hell) not to mention THB30 (brain implant format)

hummingbird 14-10-2019 19:06

YAY finally !

junkymotown 15-10-2019 02:53

I mean, there must be a stack of footage from around that time too. Were there many GATS TV spots? TOTP and stuff like that? Loads of live footage. Anything camcordered by Wire in the studio? I want a GATS DVD!

But looking at that list above... GATS really did have some cracking B-sides!

*shuffles off to listen to Are Mothers Saints*

sculptureofabloke 15-10-2019 11:06

Rule number one of Manics fandom - take anything Nicky Wire ever says with a pinch of salt.

Course I'll buy a reissue if it happens. Sure there are demos hoarded from then but I wonder if there's owt else. I'm sure I read that Alien Orders/Invisible Armies was from around then?

I love Gold Against The Soul, won't find many around here who don't but at same time it kinda feels like it's the black sheep of the 90s catalogue. Been to plenty of gigs where they've not touched it, shortest album and still three tracks that have never been played live and probably never will. Turn of the decade when there was those Music on Vinyl heavyweight pressings the first three albums missed out but since the 20th anniversaries of Generation Terrorists and Holy Bible it's the only one up until Forever Delayed not to have had a repressing.

Wonder if Lipstick Traces and Lifeblood are going to get that treatment. Think Journal onwards vinyls are quite readily available as vinyl was getting more popular again when they were coming out?

Son of Stopped 15-10-2019 19:07

Given how short the album is could the eight demos fit after the album on CD?
Ahh,, just leaving it if it happens it happens. Would still prefer another new album howev.

Lee 15-10-2019 19:53

Think it could be the case of putting Be Pure... in the cinemas at the end of this year and a GATS reissue next. Would keep the fans happy and the band in the spotlight whilst giving them until 2021 to release their next album.

All recent interviews point to very little in the way of new material so this would make sense.

IntlDebris 15-10-2019 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2680382)
All recent interviews point to very little in the way of new material so this would make sense.

Historically, that's a sign of an album announcement being imminent.

Lee 15-10-2019 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntlDebris (Post 2680383)
Historically, that's a sign of an album announcement being imminent.

Not really, only with RIF if I recall correctly.

everlasting 15-10-2019 21:38

A small documentary about this period would be good, I hate how it's always rushed over in books and tales by anyone. I bet there's great footage, live performances, photos, stories... oh well. In fact, I just want a full-on Manics documentary movie, like a 6 hour opus covering everything, all footage that is available, no stone unturned, warts and all, it would be fantastic and essential viewing.

junkymotown 16-10-2019 02:26

Didn't we get a couple of GATS songs on this last tour too? (I say "we" - at my date in Japan it was GT heavy and bereft of GATS)

When I asked James about it a couple of months ago, he said it's all up to Wire, as he holds the archives and all the bits of information and things from the past. I bet it would be fascinating to trawl through Nick's band archive... reminds of that interview he did where he admitted to having 5 copies of Suicide Alley ("that's my pension!")

But I agree, GATS just gets rushed over. I mean, sure, it wasn't THB, it wasn't GT, but take away all that and it's still an album that's a damn sight better than a lot of bands' catalogues! I mean, there are still some great lyrics on it, some blistering guitar and drum work... come on lads, give us the demos!!!

And a good release of the B-sides! It'd be a good way to get hold of some of the rarer tracks from around then. I don't think it's so easy to get Are Mother Saints, Charles Windsor, Us Against You without going back and buying old singles...

sculptureofabloke 16-10-2019 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkymotown (Post 2680390)
Didn't we get a couple of GATS songs on this last tour too? (I say "we" - at my date in Japan it was GT heavy and bereft of GATS)

When I asked James about it a couple of months ago, he said it's all up to Wire, as he holds the archives and all the bits of information and things from the past. I bet it would be fascinating to trawl through Nick's band archive... reminds of that interview he did where he admitted to having 5 copies of Suicide Alley ("that's my pension!")

But I agree, GATS just gets rushed over. I mean, sure, it wasn't THB, it wasn't GT, but take away all that and it's still an album that's a damn sight better than a lot of bands' catalogues! I mean, there are still some great lyrics on it, some blistering guitar and drum work... come on lads, give us the demos!!!

And a good release of the B-sides! It'd be a good way to get hold of some of the rarer tracks from around then. I don't think it's so easy to get Are Mother Saints, Charles Windsor, Us Against You without going back and buying old singles...

Sleepflower, From Despair To Where and La Tristesse Durera in Manchester.

Gold Against The Soul was a fucking cracking era for b-sides and quite under-represented on Lipstick Traces. That could've been a triple album without the covers.

Eh, I dunno if it'd be commercially viable for em but we'd buy it eh.