Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   GATS reissue? (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63088)

junkymotown 11-10-2019 21:53

GATS reissue?

Are we just being teased with the latest round of Instagram posts? A delve into the Gold Against the Soul archives...

Do you think it could happen? Do you want it to happen?!

I’d only be bothered if we got demos and a tour. Not fussed about a remaster - my ears aren’t that sensitive ;-)

Son of Stopped 11-10-2019 22:30

I haven't got Instagram is there anyway they can be !inked here?
I don't reckon we'd get it played in full but if it could be done. Every b-side in, yeah be a good tide over until next year. They've probably missed the Christmas market if just starting it tonight.

Vancouver 12-10-2019 02:00

I'd be happy with something like the reissue for SATT. Vinyl reissue, some b-sides etc. Probably doesn't need a tour but they'd never come to NA anyway so I never even contemplate that lol

Librarian On Fire 12-10-2019 06:53

A re-mastered "Nostalgic Pushead"? Yes please. Surely one of the very best Manics songs. If, and I mean if they did re-release GAS then they may as well bite the bullet and re-release KYE and LB. With Richey still being with us during the GAS era are there any songs that have not been released from this period?

I know that HB seems to be the fans favourite era for the band image wise. The army fatigues and the combat look. I've always thought that GAS was the period when the band looked like true rock glam heroes. The bleached hair of James. Richey's sideburns, beret. Nicky's dresses and sun glasses. Sean's long hair. The looked the part. Perhaps we'll see some new photos emerge for the archives. Here's hoping.

LA ex 12-10-2019 08:17

Would seem strange timing - last year would have been the 25th anniversary, so the next isn't until 2023. All their previous releases have coincided with landmark anniversaries such as that (although they obviously don't have to be).

A tour would be fun though....

Glyn 12-10-2019 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire (Post 2680329)
With Richey still being with us during the GAS era are there any songs that have not been released from this period?

The only rumour I can think of is the apparently superhero inspired Alien orders/Invisible armies. The instrumental that got released with that title during the Journal era was surely a different track ?

I'd love to have a dvd documentary about GATS , I like the album a lot but hearing the band discuss the 'journey' from Patrick Bateman to Comfort Comes would be fascinating.

IntlDebris 12-10-2019 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2680327)
I haven't got Instagram is there anyway they can be !inked here?
I don't reckon we'd get it played in full but if it could be done. Every b-side in, yeah be a good tide over until next year. They've probably missed the Christmas market if just starting it tonight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3eWrOHAwVy/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3eXHWoAxbU/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3eXuqQg3qv/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3egoZcgi7o/

Kind of feel it was inevitable really. Nicky a nostalgia lover, so using it as an opportunity to go back over this period and maybe reassess will be something I'm sure he'll love.
Less sure about a tour, James is very outspoken about not being very fond of the era.

Routine Builder 12-10-2019 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire (Post 2680329)
A re-mastered "Nostalgic Pushead"? Yes please. Surely one of the very best Manics songs. If, and I mean if they did re-release GAS then they may as well bite the bullet and re-release KYE and LB. With Richey still being with us during the GAS era are there any songs that have not been released from this period?
Here's hoping.

I think Nicky has said that there's nothing unheard from Holy Bible and before. That's caveated with it being Nicky but it sounds true given the full extent of the GT re-issue. Obviously there's a few pre-GT tracks like Destroy the Dancefloor but they have been available on unofficial releases for decades.

I'm hoping for a remaster of the album and b-sides. I imagine the demos wouldn't sound too different their album counterparts unless there are some acoustic versions laying about. I'm not a fan an album so that probably colours my hopes. For me it feels like the Richey era SATT which isn't a complete rebuke but they're both albums of songs that focus on technical performance without an overall statement.

Routine Builder 12-10-2019 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntlDebris (Post 2680333)
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3eWrOHAwVy/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3eXHWoAxbU/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3eXuqQg3qv/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3egoZcgi7o/

Kind of feel it was inevitable really. Nicky a nostalgia lover, so using it as an opportunity to go back over this period and maybe reassess will be something I'm sure he'll love.
Less sure about a tour, James is very outspoken about not being very fond of the era.

I think we might get a Christmas release. Little point of showing the demos without something being on the cards quite soon. James and Sean are probably finishing the remaster (one hopes) at the moment...

Porco 12-10-2019 13:44

#I feel like I'm miss-ehh-ehh-ing...

A GATS reissue. Yes please!

Velocitygirl 12-10-2019 14:56

I actually love this album. So yeah, I hope it happens. And I hope it happens soon.

Lee 12-10-2019 18:27

A very interesting period but agree with most of the posts above, they’ve missed the 25 year mark and 30 is a few years away yet.

Fascinated to see what Wire can dig out though.

almostfamous 12-10-2019 19:45

Highly unlikely to be this year, will happen though, maybe March/April. It'll give 'em another six months grace to finish the next LP. God I hope they don't reimagine it with "Donkeys" and "Comfort Comes" in place of "Nostalgic Pushead". They will though won't they?

Son of Stopped 12-10-2019 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostfamous (Post 2680346)
Highly unlikely to be this year, will happen though, maybe March/April. It'll give 'em another six months grace to finish the next LP. God I hope they don't reimagine it with "Donkeys" and "Comfort Comes" in place of "Nostalgic Pushead". They will though won't they?

Well I was interested in the picture of the tracklisting that began with From Despair To Where.
I might try that order and see how it sounds myself.

And previously, my "could be done" wasn't directed at them playing it in full live, more the actual end GATS reissue box. I think the music would easily quieten down remarks it's nowhere near an anniversary.

everlasting 12-10-2019 22:06

I love the album on a whole, I've never got the disdain it gets from the band and lukewarm reception at best from fans. They look cool and different and the music rocks. And come on, let's just face it, Sleepflower is just fantastic! :D I'd buy a special edition version. If one is ever done - or for any other album - all I ask is that a little more is added after the release of the Truth one, because to me it seems lacking and not worth the asking price; it needed a DVD like the others.

IntlDebris 13-10-2019 11:05

The singles are the only songs on the album I like, so a reissue would give me an opportunity to revisit it, without looking at it on the shelf and then going "nah I'll just pop EMG on instead".

rosetree 13-10-2019 12:13

I love GATS and all the songs that have Richey's input throughout. A special edition with lots more detail extra songs and a film would be great.

someone, somewhere, soon 14-10-2019 09:57

Fairly predictable collection for this one I'd say - it's obviously not going to be an anniversary reissue, celebrated with album-in-full gigs etc (although i'd love to be proved wrong) - but hopefully if Nicky's getting behind it it'll come out as more than just the usual label round up type deluxe edition you get chucked out for prestige bands' lesser albums.

at a guess we'll get a double disc set in a 3 panel case, like the EMG20 CD:

1:
remastered album plus the b-sides (minus the Heavenly / live versions of the GT tracks on the singles... but maybe M*A*S*H on there?)

2:
the 8 House In The Woods demos Nicky's teased us with
the various Roses / La Tristesse remixes
some live tracks - Club Citta, Milton Keynes maybe?
hopefully some other stuff (if memory serves, wasn't there a US promo / single mix of Sleepflower done?)

...plus hopefully a vinyl reissue!

IntlDebris 14-10-2019 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon (Post 2680354)
but maybe M*A*S*H on there?

Unlikely, it was on the GT reissue.

I reckon we'll get a TIMT-style book reissue with a similarly structured album.

CD1: Remastered album
CD2: Demos
CD3: B-sides:
Hibernation
Patrick Bateman
Us Against You
Donkeys
Wrote for Luck
Comfort Comes
Are Mothers Saints
Charles Windsor
What's My Name (Live)
Roses In The Hospital (O G Psychovocal Mix)
Roses In The Hospital (O G Psychomental Mix)
Roses In The Hospital (51 Funk Salute Mix)
Roses In The Hospital (Filet-O-Gang Mix)
Roses In The Hospital (ECG Mix)

UEF 14-10-2019 13:02

Worth a go for the sheer rock and roll of it all

Plus some more demos that aren't from the "people will hear these one day" era

Also will tide us over till KYE20 (christ) and LB20 (bloody hell) not to mention THB30 (brain implant format)

hummingbird 14-10-2019 19:06

YAY finally !

junkymotown 15-10-2019 02:53

I mean, there must be a stack of footage from around that time too. Were there many GATS TV spots? TOTP and stuff like that? Loads of live footage. Anything camcordered by Wire in the studio? I want a GATS DVD!

But looking at that list above... GATS really did have some cracking B-sides!

*shuffles off to listen to Are Mothers Saints*

sculptureofabloke 15-10-2019 11:06

Rule number one of Manics fandom - take anything Nicky Wire ever says with a pinch of salt.

Course I'll buy a reissue if it happens. Sure there are demos hoarded from then but I wonder if there's owt else. I'm sure I read that Alien Orders/Invisible Armies was from around then?

I love Gold Against The Soul, won't find many around here who don't but at same time it kinda feels like it's the black sheep of the 90s catalogue. Been to plenty of gigs where they've not touched it, shortest album and still three tracks that have never been played live and probably never will. Turn of the decade when there was those Music on Vinyl heavyweight pressings the first three albums missed out but since the 20th anniversaries of Generation Terrorists and Holy Bible it's the only one up until Forever Delayed not to have had a repressing.

Wonder if Lipstick Traces and Lifeblood are going to get that treatment. Think Journal onwards vinyls are quite readily available as vinyl was getting more popular again when they were coming out?

Son of Stopped 15-10-2019 19:07

Given how short the album is could the eight demos fit after the album on CD?
Ahh,, just leaving it if it happens it happens. Would still prefer another new album howev.

Lee 15-10-2019 19:53

Think it could be the case of putting Be Pure... in the cinemas at the end of this year and a GATS reissue next. Would keep the fans happy and the band in the spotlight whilst giving them until 2021 to release their next album.

All recent interviews point to very little in the way of new material so this would make sense.

IntlDebris 15-10-2019 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2680382)
All recent interviews point to very little in the way of new material so this would make sense.

Historically, that's a sign of an album announcement being imminent.

Lee 15-10-2019 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntlDebris (Post 2680383)
Historically, that's a sign of an album announcement being imminent.

Not really, only with RIF if I recall correctly.

everlasting 15-10-2019 21:38

A small documentary about this period would be good, I hate how it's always rushed over in books and tales by anyone. I bet there's great footage, live performances, photos, stories... oh well. In fact, I just want a full-on Manics documentary movie, like a 6 hour opus covering everything, all footage that is available, no stone unturned, warts and all, it would be fantastic and essential viewing.

junkymotown 16-10-2019 02:26

Didn't we get a couple of GATS songs on this last tour too? (I say "we" - at my date in Japan it was GT heavy and bereft of GATS)

When I asked James about it a couple of months ago, he said it's all up to Wire, as he holds the archives and all the bits of information and things from the past. I bet it would be fascinating to trawl through Nick's band archive... reminds of that interview he did where he admitted to having 5 copies of Suicide Alley ("that's my pension!")

But I agree, GATS just gets rushed over. I mean, sure, it wasn't THB, it wasn't GT, but take away all that and it's still an album that's a damn sight better than a lot of bands' catalogues! I mean, there are still some great lyrics on it, some blistering guitar and drum work... come on lads, give us the demos!!!

And a good release of the B-sides! It'd be a good way to get hold of some of the rarer tracks from around then. I don't think it's so easy to get Are Mother Saints, Charles Windsor, Us Against You without going back and buying old singles...

sculptureofabloke 16-10-2019 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkymotown (Post 2680390)
Didn't we get a couple of GATS songs on this last tour too? (I say "we" - at my date in Japan it was GT heavy and bereft of GATS)

When I asked James about it a couple of months ago, he said it's all up to Wire, as he holds the archives and all the bits of information and things from the past. I bet it would be fascinating to trawl through Nick's band archive... reminds of that interview he did where he admitted to having 5 copies of Suicide Alley ("that's my pension!")

But I agree, GATS just gets rushed over. I mean, sure, it wasn't THB, it wasn't GT, but take away all that and it's still an album that's a damn sight better than a lot of bands' catalogues! I mean, there are still some great lyrics on it, some blistering guitar and drum work... come on lads, give us the demos!!!

And a good release of the B-sides! It'd be a good way to get hold of some of the rarer tracks from around then. I don't think it's so easy to get Are Mother Saints, Charles Windsor, Us Against You without going back and buying old singles...

Sleepflower, From Despair To Where and La Tristesse Durera in Manchester.

Gold Against The Soul was a fucking cracking era for b-sides and quite under-represented on Lipstick Traces. That could've been a triple album without the covers.

Eh, I dunno if it'd be commercially viable for em but we'd buy it eh.

ForeverDelayed.com 09-12-2019 12:59

After that last post, we can now guess release dates and formats

Lee 09-12-2019 13:02

Well well well.

Can someone who is on Insta please share the pics? I get a banner pop up and can’t see them.

Routine Builder 09-12-2019 13:09

Picture of two GATS discs having been mastered on 05/12/19.

wireobsessed 09-12-2019 13:13

I’m so bloody happy it’s unreal. Been feeling sh*t and then this pops up. Happy Christmas ������

Routine Builder 09-12-2019 13:16

So I would guess Disc one being album remaster plus b-sides and disc two being demos plus live tracks. Formats will probably be some combination of two CDs and a vinyl. I would expect a March or early April release...

blackflower 09-12-2019 13:50

I'm thrilled - this is the album I came in on as a fan in 1993 - but also anxious to know if they're going to mess around with the tracklisting this time. Crossing my fingers that they'll reissue it in its correct state!

Son of Stopped 09-12-2019 14:07

You mean it's HAPPENING?!! Brilliant! Would rather a new album but gift horse etc.

IntlDebris 09-12-2019 17:08

Instagram link.

It shows just Disc 1 & 2, which doesn't necessarily mean it'll only be two discs, but it seems likely. Maybe there'll be a DVD as a third disc?

starfucker 09-12-2019 19:28

There's also the 7" version of Roses In The Hospital that hasn't been mentioned so far. The censored version where the lyrics in the chorus are "Roses in the hospital" in the place of "We don't want your fucking love". That will probably be on the bonus disc (just speculating).

Also THAT live version of Drug Drug Druggy where Richey's guitar got turned up way too loud. Cutting room floor or deliberately left out?

everlasting 09-12-2019 19:29

Woo, this is a little bit of exciting news that I need after all the shit I've had in the last month or two. Hope there's a dvd included too crammed full of stuff. The Truth album really missed out on having no DVD.