Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

Son of Stopped 19-11-2017 23:47

The chart stats website entry for the band ends in 2011 with National Treasures, while the Official Chart Website ends in 2014.
I loved the mathematics of how many weeks.
But if GSTM is being counted does their World Cup song break the silence between releases?
Probably not. I liked the stats anyway. They stopped making Guinness books due to lack of interest some years ago.

Automatik 20-11-2017 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symmanine (Post 2667955)
GSTM? Sometimes these abbrev.'s are confusing me... why not just write it all :D

God Save The Manics EP. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird (Post 2667956)
God Save the manics ep I think ....

Correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2667957)
But if GSTM is being counted does their World Cup song break the silence between releases?
Probably not. I liked the stats anyway. They stopped making Guinness books due to lack of interest some years ago.

I included God Save The Manics because it was a collection of original material* whereas the World Cup song should have been included but because it's abominable I desperately wanted to forget it exists.

*Specifically, b-sides intended for unreleased Lifeblood singles.

I concede a weakness for statistics. Apologies.

Son of Stopped 03-12-2017 13:17

12 albums so far. 12 months in the year. Missing a trick not producing a calendar of album covers. Just saying s'all.

Automatik 03-12-2017 18:07

The international fans thread reminded me of something I've wondered about for a long time - how big a fan base did the band have in Thailand the time they did their notorious and traumatising (for them) tour of the country? And now?

It always struck me as very odd that the Manics could justify dates in Thailand of all places. Admittedly I know nothing about music consumption in Thailand but I wouldn't have imagined it was a key market for any British band in the early 1990s (in contrast to Japan, for example).

raven 04-12-2017 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2668405)
The international fans thread reminded me of something I've wondered about for a long time - how big a fan base did the band have in Thailand the time they did their notorious and traumatising (for them) tour of the country? And now?

It always struck me as very odd that the Manics could justify dates in Thailand of all places. Admittedly I know nothing about music consumption in Thailand but I wouldn't have imagined it was a key market for any British band in the early 1990s (in contrast to Japan, for example).

Gold Against the Soul sold shed loads in Thailand and got them a platinum disc so that is why they went

taxexile 04-12-2017 20:26

In Nice? Gruissan not far. Yves Klein; blue epoch? Betty Blue?

And as for the cover.... thinking about Mishima books.

Escape from your history? No exit ;-)

Automatik 04-12-2017 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven (Post 2668425)
Gold Against the Soul sold shed loads in Thailand and got them a platinum disc so that is why they went

Didn't know that. Thanks.

I obviously expected something demand-based. Are the band still big in Thailand?

Automatik 04-12-2017 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxexile (Post 2668430)
In Nice? Gruissan not far. Yves Klein; blue epoch? Betty Blue?

And as for the cover.... thinking about Mishima books.

Escape from your history? No exit ;-)

Whatever Happened To The Blue Generation Part II (musically speaking)?

Borderliner 05-12-2017 10:14

The Convalescent kicks ass like ultra-high-energy gamma rays followed by gloomy Royal Correspondent. I guess you need some special mood for Know Your Enemy but when you are in that mood you just want to put KYE on a 24-hour repeat.

UEF 05-12-2017 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2667934)
In case anyone wondered, here's the time between each studio album:

GT > GATS: 498 days
GATS> THB: 435
THB > EMG: 631
EMG > TIMTTMY: 848
TIMTTMY > KYE: 918
KYE > L: 1324
L > SATT: 918
SATT > JFPL: 743
JFPL > PFAYM: 491
PFAYM > RTF: 1093
RTF > F: 294
F > RIF: 1369

Between KYE and Lifeblood there was FD and LT, of course, and GSTM between Lifeblood and SATT, so RIF really is by far the longest we've ever had to wait for new original material.

Now add in The Great Western and I Killed the Zeitgeist as optional stepping stones

Automatik 05-12-2017 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2668458)
Now add in The Great Western and I Killed the Zeitgeist as optional stepping stones

Good point.

In that case, we end up with:

GT > GATS: 498 days
GATS> THB: 435
THB > EMG: 631
EMG > TIMTTMY: 848
TIMTTMY > KYE: 918
KYE > L: 1324
L > TGW: 630
TGW > IKTZ: 63 (!)
IKTZ > SATT: 224
SATT > JFPL: 743
JFPL > PFAYM: 491
PFAYM > RTF: 1093
RTF > F: 294
F > RIF: 1369

Dac X Lee 16-12-2017 03:44

What a shock!
Typed in Google search "stay beautiful lyrics", it gave me all Taylor Swift. ⊙_⊙

Suicide Aldi 16-12-2017 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac X Lee (Post 2668575)
What a shock!
Typed in Google search "stay beautiful lyrics", it gave me all Taylor Swift. ⊙_⊙

Why wont she just fuck off?

Dac X Lee 17-12-2017 01:01

Although I don't like her music, I'm not really a Taylor hater, but as famous as she is, the Manics are actually iconic, and Stay Beautiful is an actual classic that always used to appear on the first page of search results, so you can understand I was appalled when Taylor Swift was all I ever found and had to specifically type in "manic" additionally... u_u

pineapple 17-12-2017 14:06

I can't stand Taylor Swift. I find her control over her own image creepy....the level of emotional control and the way she manufactures perceptions of weakness to seem relatable. UGH!