Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

hummingbird 29-10-2011 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder (Post 2376401)
Might have been. Not too sure to be honest!

they toured it but had to cancel some dates in '99 from what i remember

Nature's Discontent 29-10-2011 20:35

Wasn't Truth not released in the US till '99, because they couldn't find a label for it? Not sure if it made much of an impact when it was released, really.

hummingbird 29-10-2011 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent (Post 2376406)
Wasn't Truth not released in the US till '99, because they couldn't find a label for it? Not sure if it made much of an impact when it was released, really.

oh really? I thought they toured it cos it had done ok..

The Gutless Wonder 29-10-2011 21:53

This band fill me with such happiness. I just felt I had to say that! :D

amay 29-10-2011 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder (Post 2376489)
This band fill me with such happiness. I just felt I had to say that! :D

Ditto! I may moan and groan about how much money I have to spend on gigs, transport and other stuff, but I enjoy it really :D

The Gutless Wonder 29-10-2011 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by amay (Post 2376490)
Ditto! I may moan and groan about how much money I have to spend on gigs, transport and other stuff, but I enjoy it really :D

I don't moan about the money spendage which is probably worrying! :lol:

nsebastian 30-10-2011 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder (Post 2376396)
A comment someone posted in another thread made me want to ask this question -

What are Manics fans from across the pond's thoughts with regards to This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours? Do you feel you are able to connect with the album? (Just thinking with regards to the lyrics being more 'insular' as it were. Hope that makes sense! :lol:

I really like the lyrics actually, though I don't see anything about them that seems specifically British to be honest... other than SYMM, I guess. They strike me as very introspective, so I'd think they'd be universally appealing. If I had to pick one of the Manics' albums that wouldn't translate well to an American audience, it would probably be Generation Terrorists. And clearly they did have some issues with that, though it's just as well - the US release had some pretty good features.

But I can't say I connect to the album, because the sound itself, I dislike. If You Tolerate This is amazing, absolutely brilliant, and Tsunami and You Stole the Sun are decent - otherwise, I've tried and tried, but it's not only my least favourite album of theirs, it's mostly unlistenable for me. Which is really frustrating, because I think Nicky's lyrics deserve much more. Nobody Loved You had the potential to be heartwrenching... but it just doesn't work for me. It all sounds so dull and insincere.

...apologies to anyone who really loves TIMTTMY.

The Gutless Wonder 30-10-2011 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsebastian (Post 2376584)
I really like the lyrics actually, though I don't see anything about them that seems specifically British to be honest... other than SYMM, I guess. They strike me as very introspective, so I'd think they'd be universally appealing. If I had to pick one of the Manics' albums that wouldn't translate well to an American audience, it would probably be Generation Terrorists. And clearly they did have some issues with that, though it's just as well - the US release had some pretty good features.

But I can't say I connect to the album, because the sound itself, I dislike. If You Tolerate This is amazing, absolutely brilliant, and Tsunami and You Stole the Sun are decent - otherwise, I've tried and tried, but it's not only my least favourite album of theirs, it's mostly unlistenable for me. Which is really frustrating, because I think Nicky's lyrics deserve much more. Nobody Loved You had the potential to be heartwrenching... but it just doesn't work for me. It all sounds so dull and insincere.

I suppose if it's not your taste music -wise then you are gonna feel like that. I had a colleague at work who loved EMG but said he was disappointed with Truth. But it was Truth that got me into the band so it will always have a special place in my heart! :)

2004567 30-10-2011 17:21

http://www.repeatfanzine.co.uk/Image...s/Graphic1.JPG

Just thought, this wasn't taken for NT. They were taken during the PFAYM era and they are on the PFAYM tour t-shirts.

TStenner 30-10-2011 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsebastian (Post 2376584)

I agree that Nobody Loved You isn't as good as it could have been, it's quite bland and the guitar riff/chorus is pretty lame.

but there are some beauties on there - ready for drowning, born a girl, you're tender and you're tired etc, i think the lyrics are done justice extremely well there, especially the former two. it's the sound of giving up but giving up in a wonderfully melancholy way :)

The Gutless Wonder 30-10-2011 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by TStenner (Post 2376911)
I agree that Nobody Loved You isn't as good as it could have been, it's quite bland and the guitar riff/chorus is pretty lame.

but there are some beauties on there - ready for drowning, born a girl, you're tender and you're tired etc, i think the lyrics are done justice extremely well there, especially the former two. it's the sound of giving up but giving up in a wonderfully melancholy way :)

Didn't realise he had said that about Nobody Loved You!

Just NO!!!

:mad:

The Gutless Wonder 30-10-2011 20:00

TLORN got to No 2 at least James! Sheesh!

Grant 30-10-2011 20:07

If I don't have my Manics goodies in the post tomorrow morning then I'm giving up :(

:good:

Midlands_Junk 31-10-2011 11:15

I completely forgot about Sean's earring until just noticing it again at the end of the Tolerate video.
Haaaa! Gaaaybo!

pingu 31-10-2011 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder (Post 2376396)
A comment someone posted in another thread made me want to ask this question -

What are Manics fans from across the pond's thoughts with regards to This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours? Do you feel you are able to connect with the album? (Just thinking with regards to the lyrics being more 'insular' as it were. Hope that makes sense! :lol:

one of my best friends lives in Canada and she loves TIMT. I'm not from the UK either - Ireland - and I don't find myself feeling excluded by the lyrics.