Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

gracie 07-06-2015 21:02

I reeeeeeally want some of the KYE magnets. Or some new edgier merch.

I really like this I saw on google images - is it official?
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...0/cuntcock.jpg

hummingbird 07-06-2015 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geranium Terrorists (Post 2645604)
Apparently Nick Abbott slagged off the Manics last night on LBC, saying that he hated them and he was glad they were on tour because they were all in one place, preferably far from him!

inferiority complex :cool:

hillgrove 08-06-2015 11:21

WHO.

Who is Nick Abbot.?

Finn 08-06-2015 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillgrove (Post 2645682)
Who is Nick Abbot.?

That was my response - so I looked up his (obviously self-penned) wiki page. Wow, he really takes himself seriously :lol:

As for new merchandise, I remember a thread of suggestions way back in 2001. I still think the inflatable MSP beach ball would be a winner - purple leopard print with one black panel that has purple text proclaiming, "Enjoy your beach ball, but remember we are all moving inexorably toward the black void of death."

hummingbird 08-06-2015 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finn (Post 2645687)
That was my response - so I looked up his (obviously self-penned) wiki page. Wow, he really takes himself seriously :lol:

As for new merchandise, I remember a thread of suggestions way back in 2001. I still think the inflatable MSP beach ball would be a winner - purple leopard print with one black panel that has purple text proclaiming, "Enjoy your beach ball, but remember we are all moving inexorably toward the black void of death."

That sounds amazing .... I want one

gracie 08-06-2015 17:25

We should get unofficial ones made, that sounds cool as fuck.

Automatik 08-06-2015 18:22

Even after all these years, whenever I check back through the band's discography I'm still amazed at some of the songs they put out as singles (and which b-sides never make it to albums, and which album tracks do), especially since TIMTTMY.

Exhibit A: The Everlasting. (Surely Ready For Drowning or Nobody Loved You - which actually was a single in Japan - would have been better?)

Exhibit B: Found That Soul.

Exhibit C: So Why So Sad.

Exhibit D: The Love Of Richard Nixon.

Exhibit E: Autumnsong...

...etc etc.

Europa Geht Durch Mich wasn't even released as a single! Unfathomable.

Sorry - just needed to get that out of my system, given how important the band consider singles to be.

Finn 08-06-2015 18:45

Some of the lead single choices just boggle the mind.

UEF 08-06-2015 18:50

I was thinking about this today up to This is My Truth they seemed to pick the right singles

Geranium Terrorists 08-06-2015 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2645728)
Exhibit B: Found That Soul.

???

Automatik 08-06-2015 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finn (Post 2645737)
Some of the lead single choices just boggle the mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2645739)
I was thinking about this today up to This is My Truth they seemed to pick the right singles

Something seemed to shift after TIMTTMY. (Incidentally, I always found it odd that Masses Against The Classes was a great single but - bizarrely - wasn't included on KYE.)

Since TIMTTMY the only singles that I feel were truly stand-out worthy of being selected as singles from their respective albums were Ocean Spray, Indian Summer, (It's Not War) Just The End Of Love and Walk Me To The Bridge - four out of twenty (or out of eighteen if we exclude Underdogs and Ghost of Christmas).

Automatik 08-06-2015 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geranium Terrorists (Post 2645740)
???

Controversial, I know. Found That Soul is a fine song but in my opinion hardly comparable in quality to most of the singles that went before it.

Geranium Terrorists 08-06-2015 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2645742)
Controversial, I know. Found That Soul is a fine song but in my opinion hardly comparable in quality to most of the singles that went before it.

True... definitely agree on SWSS. Though they were still very successful!

Automatik 08-06-2015 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geranium Terrorists (Post 2645758)
True... definitely agree on SWSS. Though they were still very successful!

They were - indeed, FTS (highest British chart position: 9) and SWSS (highest: 8) charted higher than The Everlasting (11) and Tsunami (11). The Love Of Richard Nixon reached number 2, as did Your Love Alone.

I recall Nicky saying Indian Summer - which I love, by the way! - was chosen as a single solely because it sounded like ADFL. It reached number 22.

Of course, all this grumbling raises an interesting question: which tracks should have been chosen as singles after TIMTTMY? I've already proposed Europa Geht Durch Mich (the most obvious candidate, I would have thought) - but which others?

Son of Stopped 08-06-2015 22:19

I love "So Why So Sad" as I feel it was the last great Christmas single we never had before Cowell's Clowns kept taking the spot.
"Baby Elian" would have been an interesting single but would have burnt their fingers even more than the Cuba trip!

"1985" should have been the lead single.
No problem with YLAINE or even "Underdogs" th
Even INWJTEOL was a good pop-rock piece.
I think it's only SMTW that could have been a better choice.