Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Future Box Set Ideas? (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63094)

p2 22-10-2019 21:47

Future Box Set Ideas?

So a bit bored and looking at all my box sets, and the growing number of vinyl box sets to be more precise.
And apart from the recent anniversary LP sets there are no other MSP ones.

So what would you like to see?

Maybe like Suede, all the LPs in one collection.
Springsteen, a box for every set amount of years/era? (90s 2000s etc.)
Or maybe like Depeche Mode's recent 12" singles archive sets (with posters, flexis and the like).

Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas :X

junkymotown 23-10-2019 00:33

It's tricky... as any box I set I buy would just sit on a shelf and gather dust. Which seems kind of sad. I haven't played a CD in ... probably a couple of years. Let alone a tape or a record.

Anything with demos and rarities does it for me though. I don't care for posters and records, more the actual contact. A GATS box set with demos would definitely interest me. An official release of all those old demos that were on the Lipstick Traces and Turning Rebellion Into Money bootlegs would be kind of cool.

Or... ooo! A box set of the National Treasures O2 gig. All the live tracks, plus a DVD, plus... I dunno, sommat cool.

Dac X Lee 23-10-2019 04:53

I want a box containing the album and....
ACTION FIGURES! ♥
I want action figures of all 4 of them, with clothes and accessories from different eras.
Also, we'd need a young version and an "old" version. :)

junkymotown 23-10-2019 06:33

And that ^ is the one thing we've been missing all these years. Balls to box sets and merchandise. Action figures!! Can Nicky's come with a Dyson?

IntlDebris 23-10-2019 09:57

Other than deluxe reissues of GATS, KYE and Lifeblood, there aren't any I'd be interested in - already tired of labels churning out recycled material on the grounds that they know the artist has a fanbase full of people who'll buy anything with their name on it.

I wouldn't mind a PFAYM box with all the b-sides on, or at least a 2CD of all the post-SATT b-sides.

Lee 23-10-2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkymotown (Post 2680491)
It's tricky... as any box I set I buy would just sit on a shelf and gather dust. Which seems kind of sad. I haven't played a CD in ... probably a couple of years. Let alone a tape or a record.

Anything with demos and rarities does it for me though. I don't care for posters and records, more the actual contact. A GATS box set with demos would definitely interest me. An official release of all those old demos that were on the Lipstick Traces and Turning Rebellion Into Money bootlegs would be kind of cool.

Or... ooo! A box set of the National Treasures O2 gig. All the live tracks, plus a DVD, plus... I dunno, sommat cool.

Good point! The National Treasures gig was a mess with the way the songs have been distributed - some download only, some as b-sides, others as import CD songs only. Just stick it on one album ffs.

Lipstick Traces 2 (mainly to hear the vinyl tracks on CD) would be really useful as well.

Mr Richey 23-10-2019 17:20

A box set of several new albums would be nice, instead of the constant nostalgia fest.

LA ex 23-10-2019 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2680496)
Good point! The National Treasures gig was a mess with the way the songs have been distributed - some download only, some as b-sides, others as import CD songs only. Just stick it on one album ffs.

Lipstick Traces 2 (mainly to hear the vinyl tracks on CD) would be really useful as well.

The National Treasures gig was a wasted opportunity to celebrate a great moment in the band's history. Still shocked that they didn't film it professionally.

How many of the songs from the gig have had official recordings released? I'm guessing the chances of the rest coming out are pretty much zero.

Lee 23-10-2019 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2680500)
The National Treasures gig was a wasted opportunity to celebrate a great moment in the band's history. Still shocked that they didn't film it professionally.

How many of the songs from the gig have had official recordings released? I'm guessing the chances of the rest coming out are pretty much zero.

Yeah agree. I find it strange that they went to the effort of making a soundboard recoding, mixing it etc then sticking various songs randomly on a number of different formats. A digital download would’ve been great if a physical one wasn’t financially viable.

I guess something like 16 songs are officially available from it?! Something like that?! The rest won’t see the light of day.

Porco 23-10-2019 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Richey (Post 2680499)
A box set of several new albums would be nice, instead of the constant nostalgia fest.

Yeah, I would always favour new material too if it was a choice between that and re-issues/compliations, but I think 'constant' is a teensy-bit OTT... I think they are very aware of not only doing re-issues.

I'm just happy they are still making new music at all after this long. I'll take the intermittent nostalgia fest happily while we wait for new material. One day all we'll have left is what's left behind and then it really will be a constant nostalgia fest, if anything.

Porco 23-10-2019 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2680500)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2680501)
Yeah agree. I find it strange that they went to the effort of making a soundboard recoding, mixing it etc then sticking various songs randomly on a number of different formats. A digital download would’ve been great if a physical one wasn’t financially viable.

I guess something like 16 songs are officially available from it?! Something like that?! The rest won’t see the light of day.

25 out of 38 were released, these 13 were the ones that didn't so far I think (unless I missed any!):

Love's Sweet Exile
Everything Must Go
Autumnsong
This Is The Day
The Everlasting
Indian Summer
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
Australia
La Tristesse Durera
Found That Soul
Some Kind Of Nothingness
Roses In The Hospital
So Why So Sad

Routine Builder 24-10-2019 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porco (Post 2680502)
Yeah, I would always favour new material too if it was a choice between that and re-issues/compliations, but I think 'constant' is a teensy-bit OTT... I think they are very aware of not only doing re-issues.

The past five years have seen three re-issues (two of which have been re-issued already) and one studio album and it looks like we might get a GATS re-issue before the next album.

I'm not complaining, I'm just happy they're still making records and I have the chance see albums live I wasn't around for but I can see why others are getting a bit frustrated. If there is no album released next year, that means only three albums were released this decade.

IntlDebris 24-10-2019 11:01

1990s - five albums
2000s - four albums
2010s - four albums

Seems relatively consistent, although the '10s maybe feel less balanced as we had the two 'sister' albums within a year of each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Routine Builder (Post 2680505)
The past five years have seen three re-issues

Four, surely? THB, EMG, SATT, TIMT.

UEF 24-10-2019 12:49

Completely forgot about the SATT one. As have most people, I'd imagine

IntlDebris 24-10-2019 14:13

It sticks in my mind because it was the first copy of the album I actually bought.