Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Live Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Another Hits Tour 2020? (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63065)

The Crow 20-06-2019 15:32

Another Hits Tour 2021?

It's plausible they may do another Singles Night/GH again but personally it would not hold much weight. They may play some 4/5 songs off KYE would be so funny due to its re-release.

2002 & 2011 saw different sets but literally similar barring the quantity etc

Maybe in November or December?

Lee 20-06-2019 16:10

Where’s this come from? Have they said something about it?

LA ex 20-06-2019 17:01

Would be a bit strange to do another singles tour/show, unless there's another greatest hits album in the work.

But there's only been three albums since National Treasures - there had been four between Forever Delayed and National Treasures (along with plenty of singles that hadn't made it onto Forever Delayed).

Unless it'll be a Story of the Clash type compilation featuring noteworthy album tracks and b-sides.

almostfamous 20-06-2019 17:36

Greatest Hits tour next year? No chance, they'll be too busy celebrating PFAYM 10th anniversary.... Album played in full with remastered deluxe box set with all the trimmings accompanied by a retrospective two hour in depth documentary looking into the making of their seminal 2010 masterpiece.

(Tee hee, chortle).

IntlDebris 20-06-2019 17:39

Did I read that there's something in their contract that means Sony want a 'best of' every ten years or something? I mean, if we get one in 2021/2022 I'm sure it'll be the last - I can't see physical sales mattering much in the 2030s - but it only feels like yesterday that National Treasures came out.

Son of Stopped 20-06-2019 18:31

But are they still signed to Sony? I've read they signed to a new label and RIF was either the first, and I'm sure I also read RIF was their last album for Epic? Which is Sony obviously.
Would try and make one show. But would be more enthused about new album than another compilation. I'll buy either and even a Lipstick Traces Part Two if they aren't going to deluxe everything they haven't already deluxed..

Dancing Kirby 20-06-2019 20:39

It was reported over a year ago that they’ve signed a new deal with Warner, including confirmation from Warner itself, but it really doesn’t feel like they’ve left Sony.

http://uk.warnerchappell.com/news-details/679

UEF 20-06-2019 22:21

Lifeblood and KYE haven’t had the demo treatment, both of those would be cool to listen to

Routine Builder 20-06-2019 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby (Post 2679555)
It was reported over a year ago that they’ve signed a new deal with Warner, including confirmation from Warner itself, but it really doesn’t feel like they’ve left Sony.

I think RiF is the last Sony album, Rob Stringer was bigging it up prior to its release so it's most likely one of theirs. I imagine with the next new release it will be more Warner....

IntlDebris 21-06-2019 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2679552)
But are they still signed to Sony?

That won't stop Sony putting out a compilation based on the catalogue that they own, of course.

The Crow 21-06-2019 10:11

I mean don't forget the NT was just a one off night not a tour while the one in at the end of 2002 was a full tour of about 12 dates

Mikko 21-06-2019 11:00

They made a publishing deal with Warner, which is different than a record deal. I seem to remember they renewed their record deal with Sony a few years back.

Wouldn't mind them going indie, though!

Quote:

sculptureofabloke 21-06-2019 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntlDebris (Post 2679550)
Did I read that there's something in their contract that means Sony want a 'best of' every ten years or something? I mean, if we get one in 2021/2022 I'm sure it'll be the last - I can't see physical sales mattering much in the 2030s - but it only feels like yesterday that National Treasures came out.

No idea about that but kinda makes sense. Although I'd argue it makes sense to say a "best of" every 4 or 5 albums rather than every 10 years. National Treasures doesn't feel like 8 years ago, wow..

I remember thinking at the time when Forever Delayed came out that 6 albums was quite ample for a best of, been plenty of bands put out best ofs with less. If there's going to be another best of to include the last three albums, I can't see many people buying it besides completists. If there is going to be another best of I hope it is a best of rather than a greatest hits or singles compilation along the lines of Blur's Midlife and Suede's Best Of. Both going beyond singles and chucking a few less obvious tracks into the mix. But how much demand would there be for that from Manics? Difference being Blur and Suede were both on the comeback trail and Manics have never had that.

No idea where they are as far as new material goes but would expect that one way or another they'll do a few festivals next year at the very least. If there isn't a new album, a Past Present and Future style tour would be brilliant, I'd hoped the anniversary tours might've given em an appetite to play stuff they've not done for ages or even at all in case of I'm Not Working and Be Natural, we'll see now that they're probably done with em..

blackflower 21-06-2019 15:06

A B-sides and rarities tour would be amazing. I'd much prefer that to a hits tour. But what I want most of all is Lifeblood played in full. So I am doomed to disappointment!

Routine Builder 21-06-2019 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntlDebris (Post 2679550)
- but it only feels like yesterday that National Treasures came out.

Well they've released only three albums since then (not including the four re'releases...). I can't see them doing a tour to be honest especially after the recent album tours which covered their better singles....

LA ex 21-06-2019 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crow (Post 2679566)
I mean don't forget the NT was just a one off night not a tour while the one in at the end of 2002 was a full tour of about 12 dates

It was a one off UK gig, but wasn't there a singles only European tour, and a Japan two night singles extravaganza?

hummingbird 21-06-2019 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2679574)
It was a one off UK gig, but wasn't there a singles only European tour, and a Japan two night singles extravaganza?

Yea I think I so. I remember they included further away cos that was a single in Japan ?

darkanddivine 21-06-2019 19:12

Hits is always possible for a record company wanting to bleed a cash cow.

The only Manic Street Problem with that idea (whether it's in the contract or not) is that the importance of the singles chart has waned significantly over the last couple of decades. But more significantly, the band haven't actually had any "hits" (aka: top 40 singles) since 2010.

That, I suspect, makes a "best of" more likely, but even that's a bit of a tricky sell in an era of playlists on Spotify/Apple Music.

That said, if the band were obliged to put something out I'd just split the 2 audiences. For the hits, (and assuming there's no clamor from casual fans for a new compilation) just say "save your money and go buy National Treasures." No single disc or even double disc hits would properly do the band justice, as you'd have to drop classic material to put new stuff on there. For younger fans discovering the band, it might be fun to package the material up in a new way. One way of doing that would be to make a 3 disc set, one for each era (92-96, 98-07, 09-19), perhaps housed in a fancy book or something to make it a worthwhile purchase. No-one would agree on a definitive best of, but the band could put their favourite songs on there, free of the need to make a hits CD with only their most commercial songs on it.

For the hardcore, why not do a proper (and I do mean proper) book/box with all the vault stuff people have been asking for. Astoria videos. T in The Park 1999. All the demos. Loads of rare footage. Basically a PPF tour in a box.

IntlDebris 22-06-2019 10:01

I think if we do get another compilation, it'll probably be a 2CD set with a number of singles and deep cuts like the aforementioned Blur and Suede ones, hopefully selected by the band to reflect their overall sound (although, judging by recent setlists, it'll probably end up a singles collection if they're left in charge).

Or it'll be one of those cheap compilations that the label stick together, seemingly by sticking the entire catalogue into iTunes, pressing shuffle and selecting the first 12 tracks that come up. It'll probably be like this

https://i.postimg.cc/ZYLtPT0k/show-me-the-wonder.png

01. A Design for Life
02. Motorcycle Emptiness (Radio Edit)
03. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will be Next
04. The Love of Richard Nixon
05. Repeat (Stars and Stripes)
06. Hazleton Avenue
07. Your Love Alone is Not Enough (James Solo Acoustic)
08. Kevin Carter (Live)
09. Horses Under Starlight
10. Life Becoming a Landslide
11. Show Me the Wonder
12. Damn Dog

The Crow 22-06-2019 22:34

They could consider a B Sides Night? With some non singles but better still they should consider a Fan Request Gig with the money going to charity?

everlasting 23-06-2019 00:57

Can't see it happening. I'd like a full-on movie / documentary, covering everything. And a comprehensive book with untold stories, covering everything, not just focusing on the 92-96 period. And a new live dvd/blu ray.

rosetree 23-06-2019 08:34

I hope there is a new album and tour, a documentary with rare songs and possible autobiography next year.

As mentioned above by The Crow, I think a request concert for charity would be a good idea.They asked for request songs to open the set before,
although I'm glad they played the album in full almost. Interaction in requests and rare songs would be good next tour.

Deets 05-07-2019 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2679552)
But are they still signed to Sony? I've read they signed to a new label and RIF was either the first, and I'm sure I also read RIF was their last album for Epic? Which is Sony obviously.
Would try and make one show. But would be more enthused about new album than another compilation. I'll buy either and even a Lipstick Traces Part Two if they aren't going to deluxe everything they haven't already deluxed..

RIF is 100% Columbia = Sony

Quote:

JDB said recently himself they're still on Sony recordwise

I don't want another "greatest hits/reissue album & tour. I'd like them to take a break, write good songs, make a really good album and then tour in a year or two.

I understand that the money is needed, after this new studio flooding and whatever The Other Reasons are, but thank you very much. If they do the same thing next year, I'm only going to a gig or two.

The Crow 11-05-2021 13:39

Just realised its 10 yrs since the NT night maybe something to just get back on the Live scene a bit

meanestgreenmeme 15-05-2021 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostfamous (Post 2679549)
Greatest Hits tour next year? No chance, they'll be too busy celebrating PFAYM 10th anniversary.... Album played in full with remastered deluxe box set with all the trimmings accompanied by a retrospective two hour in depth documentary looking into the making of their seminal 2010 masterpiece.

(Tee hee, chortle).

Truism

The Crow 16-05-2021 12:47

Know You Enemy re release, New LP etc

No chance now but they did some odd things in 2014 which wouldn't happen this time due to the timing.

IntlDebris 16-05-2021 16:26

There's a Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds best of coming out soon, which feels excessive for someone who's released three albums and is still coasting on the fame of his previous band. Suede are due to release the third deluxe reissue of Coming Up this year too. So I'm sure Sony would be happy to put some cash into a best of, given that the physical market is increasingly dominated by unnecessary vinyl colour variants and fanbase-screwing reissues. We'll get at least one more compilation in the future, I'd bet. If we get a deluxe KYE at the end of the year, there's still the possibility of a deluxe Lifeblood at some point, and after that maybe Sony will just go all-out and do a big box set, with a band-curated best of alongside it.

The Crow 17-05-2021 06:17

Noel G's trash, he's just lived off the Oasis back catalogue for the better part of the last 10 yrs which still bemuses me. I know Suede are doing the Coming Up tour.

It was just odd that the MSP did not tour Future properly because it was the best thing in a long time but instead they took THB on tour which they could have delayed. I dunno, no idea how long the contract is or what they intend to do, expect another compilation with a bonus song but comps don't sell so much anymore.

Anaconda Vice 17-05-2021 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crow (Post 2687090)
Noel G's trash, he's just lived off the Oasis back catalogue for the better part of the last 10 yrs which still bemuses me.

You're thinking of Liam. He's the one that became his own tribute band. Noel's the one that actually wants to move on.

The Crow 18-05-2021 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaconda Vice (Post 2687092)
You're thinking of Liam. He's the one that became his own tribute band. Noel's the one that actually wants to move on.

Hmmmm, I'm sure I'm right ;)

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/noel-ga...-13d241d5.html

Beady Eye on the 1st LP & tour didn't play hardly any Oasis songs, they brought them in more so on the woeful 2nd LP.

IntlDebris 18-05-2021 11:03

Noel's trying to wear his "I wrote these Oasis songs so they're mine too" hat at the same time as his "I worked with The Amorphous Androgynous and David Holmes" hat and it doesn't do him any favours.

Either way, if he can get a greatest hits out of three mediocre records, I think Sony would be confident in doing another Manics compilation.