Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Manics non-standard songwriting credits (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63170)

gabo86 21-07-2020 10:29

Manics non-standard songwriting credits

Hello everyone.
As we all know, the songwriting credits in the first three Manics albums (and part of EMG) are: James + Sean music, Richey + Nicky lyrics. Then, James + Sean music, Nicky lyrics. In the latest albums, anyway, they stopped separating music and lyrics, writing "music and lyrics by Manic Street Preachers".
My question is: can we write a list (I'll edit this first post accordingly) where we track down "non standard songwriting credits"?.

For example, I'm sure James wrote the lyrics for (at least):
Ocean Spray
Firefight
I Think I Found It
Anthem For A Lost Cause
The Next Jet To Leave Moscow;

Then, Nicky wrote the music for:
Dying Breeds
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough (chorus)
The Long Goodbye
Lady Lazarus
She Bathed Herself In A Bath Of Bleach (verses)
Marlon JD
William's Last Words
4 Lonely Roads
As Holy As The Soil
Divine Youth

About the Richey/Nicky lyrics, are there some that are for sure only by Nicky (I don't know any) or by Richey (most out of THB, but I don't know which ones)?
And, about the music writing, have we got any evidence of Sean writing a specific song? We all know that James writes most of the music, but sometimes Sean stated that he wrote a specific song (I seem to remember Welcome To The Dead Zone).

Thanks to everyone who can help us out!

Jack 21-07-2020 11:02

I'm sure I've heard James say Sean wrote the verses for The Second Great Depression and Hold Me Like A Heaven (which IMO are the best bits of each track)

Europa Gluten Free 21-07-2020 11:17

Allegedly, if I remember correctly, James credited Sean with writing verses of NSAF and also contributing to music for You Love Us?

UEF 21-07-2020 13:39

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...ad.php?t=60805

Routine Builder 21-07-2020 14:26

Didn't Sean write the riff to Sleepflower?

Suicide Aldi 21-07-2020 15:53

I belive Sean also wrote the riff for Lest Go To War, and JDB wrote Sequels to forgotten wars

Nobody 21-07-2020 20:01

I believe Nick also wrote the music for Ballad of the Bangkok Novotel, Wattsville Blues and Some kind of Nothingness

Suicide Aldi 22-07-2020 04:31

Think Nick also wrote the music to Liverpool Reviaited ( including the guitar solo!! )

gabo86 22-07-2020 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2683647)

You are right, but in these threads there are all non-standard credits, not only the songs entirely written by James...

UEF 22-07-2020 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabo86 (Post 2683657)
You are right, but in these threads there are all non-standard credits, not only the songs entirely written by James...

More pointing out that you should add Distant Colours to your JDB list :)

Another anomalie is Sean playing the riff on Let’s Go To War

Son of Stopped 22-07-2020 11:01

Who wrote Engage With Your Shadow?
Let's Go To War is hilarious! I wasn't there but I can just picture James going "But it sounds like the Mountain King redone for a Chessington World Of Adventures advert?".
And being able to win the others over. Was glad they did, obviously!
The depressing mindset of listeners for "Nah, when it's written by one person, well one person without the unnamed staff, is better" really insults the teamwork of the band.
But it's understandable. Stock Aitken Waterman was huge at their formative time. So that big huge collective impressed.
On that Richplanet TV thing about Richey, the presenter had a problem with James just accepting the lyrics. That's his bit!! We don't know what got rewritten, but James has to carry them. We clearly don't see him just singing anything.
The one film I want to see is a song going from demo to recording. Full on process showing Sean arranging. With record company employee (who in his recent interview James said there didn't used to be someone going "I like that bit" or "No I don't like that" to what he came up with) giving their input.
Or maybe that's the magic of swans gliding across the stage at a Pantomime being revealed?

ron the little seal 22-07-2020 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2683663)
Let's Go To War is hilarious! I wasn't there but I can just picture James going "But it sounds like the Mountain King redone for a Chessington World Of Adventures advert?".

well that's the song ruined but perfectly described

gabo86 22-07-2020 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2683663)
The depressing mindset of listeners for "Nah, when it's written by one person, well one person without the unnamed staff, is better" really insults the teamwork of the band.

Sorry, but I did not mean to insult nothing, not even their teamwork. It's obvious that nothing is written in stone, but as they are "officially" presented with their roles, I just wanted to collect some evidences of changes in their roles. I did exactly for this reason: to show that not only Nicky writes lyrics, etc.

Son of Stopped 22-07-2020 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabo86 (Post 2683671)
Sorry, but I did not mean to insult nothing, not even their teamwork. It's obvious that nothing is written in stone, but as they are "officially" presented with their roles, I just wanted to collect some evidences of changes in their roles. I did exactly for this reason: to show that not only Nicky writes lyrics, etc.

Sure, sure, didn't mean it that way! And great thread btw

Routine Builder 22-07-2020 17:10

I think Sean did the sampled stings on misguided missile.