Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Live Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   This Is My Truth 2018 Boxset and tour(?) (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62749)

UEF 19-02-2018 13:17

This Is My Truth 2018 Boxset and tour(?)

From the Quietus interview:

Quote:

The new Manics album, however celebratory, is shrouded in loss and anxiety, but they continue to push forwards as ever against the grain. They embark on an arena tour to support it this April, as good a barometer as any as to whether they still garner the relevance they’ve always craved, while later this year there’s another moment of historical housekeeping to be considered as This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours turns 20. The last of the truly enormous Manics albums, and with the precedent now set to remember these landmarks as they have with The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go, will their successor be similarly celebrated? “It’s the stuff I’ve got most of in an archival sense, demos and unheard stuff, fragments of different songs, so there will definitely be some kind of box set but I don’t know if we’re gonna tour it yet. It will be the most comprehensive ‘unheard’ kind of boxset we’ve done though, there’s versions of ‘Tsunami’ that are infinitely better than the final one, really fast and pretty punk and driving. For some reason we got confused and slowed it down, it’s got the crunch, a real quality. I started videoing and taking loads of polaroids at this point as well, so visually there’s loads of stuff.”

sculptureofabloke 19-02-2018 13:41

Not sure what to expect really for this one. Think a box set is pretty much nailed on and I've loved the last three anniversary box sets anyway, probably most impressed with the Generation Terrorists one with there being a Poleaxed and Spent All Summer which I'd never heard of until then. Wonder if there's owt from This Is My Truth besides demos.

As far as a tour goes, I've love to see the album in full. Besides obsessive Manics fans, I've no idea how it's regarded though, definitely the Manics album I've seen crop up in charity shops most often. Could be wrong, but feel today it's less popular than Holy Bible and Everything Must Go? Obviously not done a study or owt mind, so I've got fuck all to base the feeling on really. Interesting the fact that every track of both Holy Bible and Everything Must Go had been played before the anniversary tours, but for This Is My Truth there's still I'm Not Working and Be Natural that have never been performed. So I dunno... every time I go see em I hope to see summat they've not played for ages, or better. Edinburgh Holy Bible was the first time they'd played Condemned To Rock N' Roll in full ever and that was the last time I was shocked at a gig really, every now and again they play summat and I think oh that makes a nice change. I just know if there's a tour I decide not to go, the twats'll end up doing Symphony of Tourette or summat.

Porco 19-02-2018 15:53

Tsunami is one of my favourite Manics songs so I am skeptical that I will think these unheard versions are better, but I am certainly looking forward to hearing one (or hopefully more than one).

Automatik 19-02-2018 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porco (Post 2669858)
Tsunami is one of my favourite Manics songs so I am skeptical that I will think these unheard versions are better, but I am certainly looking forward to hearing one (or hopefully more than one).

Same here. Wire hyperbole at its best though. Would of course be interesting to hear what he's on about, mind.

Glyn 19-02-2018 17:37

The Tsunami demo is getting pretty close to the 'degree in politics' for Manics interview bingo now isn't it ? The odd thing is that everytime he mentions how 'different' it is he makes it sound more and more like the way they played it live ,around 99, so I don't think it's going to be much of a curio when it finally gets heard

darkanddivine 19-02-2018 18:25

It's interesting to speculate about the recording process of this one. But as Jimmy put it in Rank Your Records:

Quote:

"There is a noise reduction on that record, that punk genesis we had at the start, which still exists on other records, which is definitely stripped away on This Is My Truth. It’s very much an album in that it’s just trying to present the songs. There is no subterfuge or subtext, it’s just about the songs. And while I loved making it and being part of the success, I still sometimes find it hard to 100 percent embrace."
I know they rag on Tsunami, but I always felt the weakest (recorded) song on the album was You Stole The Sun. All of the energy seems sapped out of the track compared to the live version, which was always 100% more bouncy and energetic and loads better as a result.

I imagine when they first demo'd the album it will have had more of a shade of EMG about it. It might be a bit like the way Empty Souls changed from the Isle of White to the recorded version perhaps?

Tim 20-02-2018 13:06

I wish people would link to stuff...

http://thequietus.com/articles/24062...is-futile-2018

Europa Gluten Free 20-02-2018 13:20

Would love to see a box set for this era. They must have so much stuff lying around. But no full album gigs please. Just give us some Black Dog on my Shoulder and Nobody Loved You.

Jimi A 20-02-2018 14:11

Hopefully this won't come out till close till September - still skint form buying RIF on three different colours of vinyl, two cds and a bloody cassette.

sculptureofabloke 20-02-2018 14:25

September would make sense seeing as it came out September first time round, reckon that'll be quite convenient for me too. Sort it out lads.

UEF 20-02-2018 15:56

I wonder if the uptempo version of Tsunami might just be similar to the slightly faster version they play live. It's a lot slower on record.

Automatik 20-02-2018 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkanddivine (Post 2669866)
I always felt the weakest (recorded) song on the album was You Stole The Sun. All of the energy seems sapped out of the track compared to the live version

The Mogwai remix of You Stole The Sun makes a virtue of that side of the song, and it's an utterly gorgeous take on it as a result.

In fact, I think it was the very first Manics remix that made me sit bolt upright and realise that a remix could be something entirely, utterly, wondrously beautiful and bewitching.

Listen to it. It's so washed out and fatigued and fragile and frail and floaty like.

See also: Kinobe Remix of Ocean Spray.

darkanddivine 20-02-2018 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2669910)
The Mogwai remix of You Stole The Sun makes a virtue of that side of the song, and it's an utterly gorgeous take on it as a result.

In fact, I think it was the very first Manics remix that made me sit bolt upright and realise that a remix could be something entirely, utterly, wondrously beautiful and bewitching.

Listen to it. It's so washed out and fatigued and fragile and frail and floaty like.

See also: Kinobe Remix of Ocean Spray.

Big fan of the Kinobe thing. Very floaty as you say! I'd like to see them get some proper electronic acts in to do a remix disc again.

Automatik 20-02-2018 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkanddivine (Post 2669913)
I'd like to see them get some proper electronic acts in to do a remix disc again.

*hands over savings*

YES YES YES THIS THIS THRICE THIS

There should be a remix album to accompany every new one.

Cyle 20-02-2018 20:34

I understand the David Holmes mix of Tolerate got a harshly mixed reception but I for one like it a lot. It's wonderfully chill and I like the glacially slow buildup throughout.