Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best Album Of 2010's? (Two Votes Poll) (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62808)

Son of Stopped 14-04-2018 07:01

Best Album Of 2010's? (Two Votes Poll)

Postcards From A Young Man
Rewind The Film
Futurology
Resistance Is Futile

Those four albums from this decade. Not including the two anniversary editions or the single Together Stronger.
For some no longer on FD this decade probably seems rubbish compared to 90's decade.
But I relented and let you pick two options. I would have preferred the single absolute one and only one vote. But a day on, where do you stand?

EDIT: BALLS UP. Can only vote once

Dac X Lee 14-04-2018 07:47

Tough choice, as usual.
But I think it will be Futurology for me. Because the concept seems to speak to me the most.

Velocitygirl 14-04-2018 23:14

Futurology. I can't comment on Resistance yet, so I'm discounting that one for now. But yeah, Futurology was a brilliant return to form. Loved it.

hummingbird 14-04-2018 23:38

Rewind the film and futurology. Love those albums..

mrdavidj 15-04-2018 00:59

Does National Treasures count?

I'd still probably opt for Futurology.

hummingbird 15-04-2018 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdavidj (Post 2671783)

Most of those songs are from before 2010. All the songs on a greatest hits album will have a "parent" album and without those you won't have the hits album innit?

So no doesn't count :p

Son of Stopped 15-04-2018 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdavidj (Post 2671783)

I'd still probably opt for Futurology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird (Post 2671798)
Most of those songs are from before 2010. All the songs on a greatest hits album will have a "parent" album and without those you won't have the hits album innit?

So no doesn't count :p

Same reason I didn't add the anniversary stuff of GT, THB and EMG. We know what they did in the nineties. I saw them two times this decade. They still at least make an effort but which is best? There's only one way to find out fight etc.
People born after TIMTTMY get into the band from YouTube comments, what will the children of RIF make of it all?

darkanddivine 15-04-2018 13:41

I think I'd hold back on that. Futurology and the others have had 4 years to bed in and to reveal their weaknesses and strengths. Futurology is such a strong concept with some great songs but falls off the cliff after the first half dramatically. Resistance is a tad weaker in the beginning and I want to wait to see if this is new release jubilation or not. Gut feel, Resistance is probably the best of the bunch.

Marconi Delorian 15-04-2018 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkanddivine (Post 2671809)
I think I'd hold back on that. Futurology and the others have had 4 years to bed in and to reveal their weaknesses and strengths. Futurology is such a strong concept with some great songs but falls off the cliff after the first half dramatically. Resistance is a tad weaker in the beginning and I want to wait to see if this is new release jubilation or not. Gut feel, Resistance is probably the best of the bunch.

What? Dreaming a City (Hughesovka), Black Square and Between the Clock and the Bed say no. It could do with a much stronger ending, Stow Hill is fine but then it should have had Empty Motorcade either replacing or following Mayakovsky.

Resistance is Futile does get going in the second half, after many listens it feels like that's where the real meat is. I still love IB and each song in the first half is fine or OK on its own, but in a row I find them a bit of a chore to get through.

pineapple 15-04-2018 14:30

It might not be a popular choice but I absolutely love Rewind the Film. The others don't hold a flame to it.

(It's to early to rate RiF so I cannot vote for that yet)

hummingbird 15-04-2018 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pineapple (Post 2671813)
It might not be a popular choice but I absolutely love Rewind the Film. The others don't hold a flame to it.

"thumbs up"

darkanddivine 15-04-2018 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian (Post 2671812)
What? Dreaming a City (Hughesovka), Black Square and Between the Clock and the Bed say no. It could do with a much stronger ending, Stow Hill is fine but then it should have had Empty Motorcade either replacing or following Mayakovsky.

Resistance is Futile does get going in the second half, after many listens it feels like that's where the real meat is. I still love IB and each song in the first half is fine or OK on its own, but in a row I find them a bit of a chore to get through.

I like Dreaming a City to a point, and Black Square is great - but I'm not so keen on Between the Clock and the Bed. Pretty much what I'm getting at there is what you say about the first half of RIF. I like bits of Futurology, but I don't love it. The first half of is mega though.

In fact this thread has given me the idea that a proper re-assessment is probably overdue. I won't lie and say that at times in the last decade I haven't give MSP the time I used to, but I've listened to the albums enough to have a bit of an idea of what I dug or didn't. Be interested to see if a few re-spins changes my mind on anything!

Abstract Unknown Girl 15-04-2018 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pineapple (Post 2671813)

I voted for this one too.

I'm a bit baffled how a lot of people, including the band, seem to have brushed RTF under the carpet and focus on Futurology instead. Having said that, I do like Futurology a lot as well though.

Porco 15-04-2018 19:43

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/decisions.gif

can't... decide... too soon... I think...

Dancing Kirby 15-04-2018 20:21

I voted for other.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1hUnQIQRWL.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...leipo1_400.gif