Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A Design For Life (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62626)

cherrybomb 09-07-2017 22:52

A Design For Life

The lyrics for this song only ever seem to become more relevant, (work made us free, what price now? we are not allowed to spend, you know the words). I think it would be a great idea to try and get ADFL to number one in the charts, a position it unjustly missed out on first time round, in support of public sector pay rises. I wouldn't know how to begin such a thing though and you lot might think it's a shit idea.

sculptureofabloke 11-07-2017 11:39

It's a nice idea, I would't call it an out and out protest song but it's relevant and anthemic as ever. Think there's more to protest now than there was in 96, maybe it's me being more in touch in 96 than I am in 2017, but doesn't really feel like there's anyone speaking for the working classes anymore, speaking out about social injustice and shit. Maybe I'm romanticising my youth, I dunno.

Dac X Lee 12-07-2017 10:58

I kinda feel the same, bloke. Also, no more rebellious sub-cultures, as far as I can see. And the mainstream songs are all softies. I wanna complain to a kid that the noise they listen to is not music, but everything got softened, censored, boring....

roi 12-07-2017 19:38

On a similar subject it's great to see the blatantly anti-Tory 30 Year War still in the setlists. That song could easily have ended up as the kind of album track that never gets played.

Glass Angel 12-07-2017 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac X Lee (Post 2666380)
I kinda feel the same, bloke. Also, no more rebellious sub-cultures, as far as I can see. And the mainstream songs are all softies. I wanna complain to a kid that the noise they listen to is not music, but everything got softened, censored, boring....

Is that what kids actually listen to though? Or is it adults buying all the Ed Shearen albums?

Dac X Lee 13-07-2017 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glass Angel (Post 2666383)
Is that what kids actually listen to though? Or is it adults buying all the Ed Shearen albums?

Not sure how things are in the rest of the world, but here in Korea, pretty much yes... Kids seemingly listen only to those kinds of stuff. And adults too. And they assume internationals all do as well.

Glass Angel 13-07-2017 18:23

I'm obviously out of touch with youth!

Suicide Aldi 13-07-2017 22:22

I thought the good were into grime now?

UEF 14-07-2017 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi (Post 2666399)
I thought the good were into grime now?

Exactly. The music of the working class these days is Grime. All the bands are coming from the Brit School or having met doing a humanities degree in Exeter.

darkanddivine 14-07-2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2666371)
doesn't really feel like there's anyone speaking for the working classes anymore, speaking out about social injustice and shit.

Some do for sure, but in a different way I suppose. Enter Shikari (NHS & climate change), Architects (religion,) Stray from the Path (politics in general, privacy) and more are basically always on this topic. But now we're in an era when rock is part of a diluted group of genre hopping, partly driven by the tech bands have at their disposal.