Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

Son of Stopped 03-04-2015 22:49

I think ultimately FD Manics fans are only a small fraction of the general Manics public.
I didn't see many teenage girls in Manchester, but then it probably was very dark.
As far as I remember, the nutty letters used to be written in either red or green ink. I remember editorials quipping about this during the Richey Manic phase. That glorious wave before the editorials realised it was actually Manic Richey.
They don't bother with CD singles now. That's how I used to reason when the band failed to keep on charting.
But I think a lot of people "Suddenly got better and left the Manics behind as the old me!".
Well I was wrong about (Although I enjoyed the magazine reviews) "No Manifesto" making the band trend.
Let's hope the American and THB20JPN shows bring more new people to the band.

As gracie at least shows, they are still coming!

gracie 03-04-2015 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2638957)
I think ultimately FD Manics fans are only a small fraction of the general Manics public.
I didn't see many teenage girls in Manchester, but then it probably was very dark.
As far as I remember, the nutty letters used to be written in either red or green ink. I remember editorials quipping about this during the Richey Manic phase. That glorious wave before the editorials realised it was actually Manic Richey.
They don't bother with CD singles now. That's how I used to reason when the band failed to keep on charting.
But I think a lot of people "Suddenly got better and left the Manics behind as the old me!".
Well I was wrong about (Although I enjoyed the magazine reviews) "No Manifesto" making the band trend.
Let's hope the American and THB20JPN shows bring more new people to the band.

As gracie at least shows, they are still coming!

They should really start bringing out CD singles again. :(

I do know there are about nine or ten girls on tumblr who're pretty hardcore 'manixfans'. I didn't get involved because I'm really insecure and petty because they're all gorgeous. :lol:

There's deffo fans still coming!! I feel like I'm the youngest here to be honest, but yeah.
I've noticed my little cousin (twelve years old from a conservative, christian fundamentalist household) is pretty intelligent, outcast and lost in literature and 'the abyss' as she calls it, (Yes. She's a Richey girl. Here we go!!!) and she's enjoying GT and gets all the references now in THB.

She constantly rants and raves about politics and consumerism, so the Manics manifesto (lol) is getting through. I think the issue now with attracting new, younger fans is that the boys are, inevitably getting older. Young bands attract young fans. But the cool new fans who see past that are epic....we just have to wait ;). Big cousins have a mental amount of influence!! LOL.

No doubt you'll all see Maddie here in the future...it's just a matter of time until she becomes one of us :lol: :lol:

Automatik 08-04-2015 18:55

Random thought: why was there ever an (ill-fated) tour of Thailand at all? What was the commercial logic of the group performing there?

Did Thailand ever account for a significant number of sales of GATS and GT? Were the badn especially popular?

It's something I've never understood.

Suicide Aldi 08-04-2015 20:16

I always understood it that they were a pretty big deal in thiland at thr time.

gracie 09-04-2015 21:53

I really hate 4st 7lbs. Only Manics song I hate with a passion. Really gets to me and gets me embarrassed when people mention it. Once my mam listened to it (it's hard not to when there's two Manics fans in the house) and she started bring up shit about my issues that should have been buried a long time ago. I find the interpretation of all ED suffers very annoying too. Not denying it's a good song with many good lyrics but yeah. Had to rant a bit. I also feel like the self injury themes make people who don't know me think that I'm some sort of CoR, maybe that's just my paranoia/anxiety talking.

( ) 10-04-2015 08:09

In he last NME interview with Richey they mention rehearsing "Penny Royalty" by Nirvana and "Public Image" By PIL. I know they have done Penny Royalty but did Public Image ever get played? Was it one of those covers that bands play once and realise nobody knows it then never played it again? Anybody ever here it?

slop101 10-04-2015 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracie (Post 2639345)
I really hate 4st 7lbs. Only Manics song I hate with a passion. Really gets to me and gets me embarrassed when people mention it. Once my mam listened to it (it's hard not to when there's two Manics fans in the house) and she started bring up shit about my issues that should have been buried a long time ago. I find the interpretation of all ED suffers very annoying too. Not denying it's a good song with many good lyrics but yeah. Had to rant a bit. I also feel like the self injury themes make people who don't know me think that I'm some sort of CoR, maybe that's just my paranoia/anxiety talking.

I honestly didn't even "hear" the lyrics or know/understand what that was even about until about 10 years after I first heard it. But then I've always been more of a melody/music guy than a lyrics guy. Of course I appreciate good, thoughtful lyrics, but for me, they take a back seat to melody, music and the aesthetic sound of a song.

Suicide Aldi 10-04-2015 16:11

I may have mentioned this before, but the old version of tenasea just kicks ass!

Deets 10-04-2015 23:05

i sometimes look into appreciation or tumblr or other websites and smile of all those pictures circulating that i've digged out from official websites/scanned/found other way for all those years in the past.

ah those were times, first checking books/magazines for photo credits, then going through whole website in search of one or two pics.

And all because on my first meetup Nicky said he hadn't remembered the pic I've given him to sign and asked me where it was taken! Just to find some data on that! Well, it turned out he was too drunk that day to remember anything from that photosession *giggles*

Automatik 11-04-2015 00:58

I often listen to tracks on YouTube and just now accidentally entered 'Manic Street Preachers' - i.e. without any song title - only to find Underdogs is recommended as the 'most popular' Manics track on YouTube!

(The next three are more logical: Tolerate, Motorcyle Emptiness, Design For Life.)

Why would this be?

( ) 11-04-2015 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2639461)
I often listen to tracks on YouTube and just now accidentally entered 'Manic Street Preachers' - i.e. without any song title - only to find Underdogs is recommended as the 'most popular' Manics track on YouTube!

(The next three are more logical: Tolerate, Motorcyle Emptiness, Design For Life.)

Why would this be?

Because they had been away for three years so when they came back a lot of money was spent on advertising online so it came up as the first song?

Or because it was the one of the first thing they put on youtube?

gracie 11-04-2015 12:51

Read the new Richey article. It really fucking hurts my heart :(

Also, the fact that he's overlooked because he's not the missing person the media would favour makes me want to cry.

Geranium Terrorists 11-04-2015 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracie (Post 2639483)
Also, the fact that he's overlooked because he's not the missing person the media would favour makes me want to cry.

"all those people, all those lives, where are they now?"

gracie 11-04-2015 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geranium Terrorists (Post 2639504)
"all those people, all those lives, where are they now?"

:heart:

Flint 12-04-2015 18:20

I guess it's more of a question but this is probably the best place to query this, cause I kinda fell off the loop for a fair while and I'm not really up to date on what's been happening in Manicsland. Have we gotten any more recordings of the National Treasures Live gig since the Futurology bonus disc?