Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

Nature's Discontent 08-01-2012 22:39

I don't despise SATT at all. I just think that they've done much better albums, it's the least good of a good bunch.

Flint 08-01-2012 22:39

A lot of people see it as a rethread of the past that sounds forced and a hollow attempt at commercial success over artistic success. Before SATT they didn't seem to be afraid of trying different things, but the meat-and-potatoes rock of that album and the subsequent trend of slagging off most of their past albums have rubbed people the wrong way - a lot of the things that some fans find a bit iffy about the band these days (even if they still love the band in general) can be traced to the SATT period.

I've forgiven it and even enjoy parts of it these days, but it's still easily their weakest album and pretty much killed my interest for the band for a good year or so.

IanL 08-01-2012 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder (Post 2419025)

Unfortunately there is what appears to be a telephone cable attached to him and so a third of the way up the wall is as far as he can go.

That's his guitar lead.... Richey would have been able to do it though! :mrgreen:

The Gutless Wonder 08-01-2012 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanL (Post 2419131)
That's his guitar lead.... Richey would have been able to do it though! :mrgreen:

That's the curliest guitar lead I ever saw then! :p :lol:

IanL 08-01-2012 22:48

Maybe it's a dial up guitar lead? :-)

Sandrine 08-01-2012 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent (Post 2419122)
I don't despise SATT at all. I just think that they've done much better albums, it's the least good of a good bunch.

I agree, it is definitely not their best one

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2419124)
A lot of people see it as a rethread of the past that sounds forced and a hollow attempt at commercial success over artistic success. Before SATT they didn't seem to be afraid of trying different things, but the meat-and-potatoes rock of that album and the subsequent trend of slagging off most of their past albums have rubbed people the wrong way - a lot of the things that some fans find a bit iffy about the band these days (even if they still love the band in general) can be traced to the SATT period.

I've forgiven it and even enjoy parts of it these days, but it's still easily their weakest album and pretty much killed my interest for the band for a good year or so.

Some song of the albulm were an desperate attempt to reach the top of the charts (Autumnsong , YLAINE), that's true, but I feel there is still some experiment in songs such as Imperial Bodybags and even The Second Great Depression (I do not like it but at least it is not 'Obladi, Oblada', if you see what I mean). For me, the biggest issue with SATT was the choice of singles (recurrent issue with them...)

three_days 09-01-2012 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandrine (Post 2419138)
I agree, it is definitely not their best one

Some song of the albulm were an desperate attempt to reach the top of the charts (Autumnsong , YLAINE), that's true, but I feel there is still some experiment in songs such as Imperial Bodybags and even The Second Great Depression (I do not like it but at least it is not 'Obladi, Oblada', if you see what I mean). For me, the biggest issue with SATT was the choice of singles (recurrent issue with them...)

Agreed, though I feel YLAINE is an enjoyable and successful attempt at chart success. I've got nothing against a good super-poppy song!

The problem is the follow-up singles (though to be fair I'm not sure if there was a really great second single on the album) and that a few of the other tracks on the album (I'd say Winterlovers, Underdogs and to a degree Patsy) are pretty poor.

I really like the tightness and flow of the album though... so conflicting!

wireobsessed 09-01-2012 06:58

2012 feels like a very uninspiring uear with nothing from the Manics.

I'm seriously sad.

amay 10-01-2012 12:00

Bit of an odd question, but I swear I remember reading somewhere once how there is a stone or plaque or something to do with the Manics in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff? I work there and I'd like to go and see it but have no idea if it actually exists!

MSPKYE 10-01-2012 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by amay (Post 2419925)
Bit of an odd question, but I swear I remember reading somewhere once how there is a stone or plaque or something to do with the Manics in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff? I work there and I'd like to go and see it but have no idea if it actually exists!

Yeah it's there on the walkway alongside the Taff, there's a celebrity section somewhere amongst the plebs

http://www.richeyedwards.net/manicthings/pavers2.jpg

joanniejones 10-01-2012 15:17

ha ha, never seen that before - it looks photoshopped! Surely Sean is about to lob that brick at the photographer?
Looking more closely - they are all hovering in the air. Magic.

The Gutless Wonder 10-01-2012 15:19

Sean does look a little fierce there! :scared:

The Gutless Wonder 15-01-2012 21:56

Oh there's Rock And Roll Genius up on youtube. I won't listen to it! :p

Son of Stopped 16-01-2012 12:55

I'm listening again to Send Away The Tigers. I'd make a thread about it, but that might be pushing it. It's a good sunny day album!

mafiamonroe 16-01-2012 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2423463)
I'm listening again to Send Away The Tigers. I'd make a thread about it, but that might be pushing it. It's a good sunny day album!

Yeah it is isn't it? I sometimes play it after i've woken up as it's quite cheery in terms of music.