Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Live Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   04&05/12/20: Cardiff Arena (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63143)

Noisy Cat 08-04-2020 18:16

16&17/07/21: Cardiff Arena

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net...92&oe=5EB23210

Manic Street Preachers have announced two shows at the Cardiff Motorpoint Arena on 4th and 5th of December 2020, their only dates in Wales this year.

The first night will be a free show for NHS staff, the second, tickets on sale to the public, with all profits going to NHS Wales charities.

The band explained: “We wanted to do something to show our appreciation, love and respect for the NHS and its amazing brave workers. One free show and one fundraising show seemed the best way for us to express our deep gratitude for all their heroic work.”

Tickets available on Friday 10th April at 7pm.

blackflower 08-04-2020 18:18

I was just about to post this! I’m so thrilled they’re doing this. I’m definitely going to try for the second show, and for the first as well if it’s for all NHS staff and not just frontline. This has made me so happy :D

(Crossing all fingers and toes that gigs and travel will be allowed by then!)

Noisy Cat 08-04-2020 18:22

I'm very tempted by the second show, depends if there are more announcements (i.e. London) to come...

UEF 08-04-2020 18:22

By my reckoning also the only gigs they're doing that aren't a festival or support act, and thus might be a better setlist

LA ex 08-04-2020 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2682190)
By my reckoning also the only gigs they're doing that aren't a festival or support act, and thus might be a better setlist

Doesn't Halifax fit that criteria?

I'm sure there's a joke somewhere about James always getting the flu during December tours and having a crowd full of doctors and nurses....

everlasting 08-04-2020 19:39

So you only get to the free one if you work in a hospital? I'm a support worker and am out in people's homes who need support every day still as a key worker despite my hours been down, so I can't apply for this as I'm not working in a hospital? I'll maybe try for the following night then, can't see it selling out that quick...

hummingbird 08-04-2020 19:41

Very cool. I'll try for second date probably

blackflower 08-04-2020 21:29

I didn’t realise it was just for hospital workers, which counts me out as I last worked in a hospital three years ago. I’ve replied to the Manics on Twitter asking if it can be extended to all NHS staff, as it seems a bit harsh to leave out, eg, GP staff, 999 and 111 workers, community health workers etc. (Plus people like me in one of the arms length bodies!) I doubt it will change anything but it was worth a shot. And anyway, there’s still the Saturday!

UEF 09-04-2020 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2682195)
Doesn't Halifax fit that criteria?

I'm sure there's a joke somewhere about James always getting the flu during December tours and having a crowd full of doctors and nurses....

Sorry - yes, you’re right

Son of Stopped 09-04-2020 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2682195)

*PFAYM tour penny drop
Oh yeah! Hahahaha! :lol:

Enjoy Cardiff! I watched a video once where a Queen fan talked of a "post Live Aid glow" and I can see what they mean and it's nowhere near yet!

sculptureofabloke 09-04-2020 14:21

Chuffed about this, gonna try for both nights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlasting (Post 2682196)
So you only get to the free one if you work in a hospital? I'm a support worker and am out in people's homes who need support every day still as a key worker despite my hours been down, so I can't apply for this as I'm not working in a hospital? I'll maybe try for the following night then, can't see it selling out that quick...

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackflower (Post 2682205)
I didn’t realise it was just for hospital workers, which counts me out as I last worked in a hospital three years ago. I’ve replied to the Manics on Twitter asking if it can be extended to all NHS staff, as it seems a bit harsh to leave out, eg, GP staff, 999 and 111 workers, community health workers etc. (Plus people like me in one of the arms length bodies!) I doubt it will change anything but it was worth a shot. And anyway, there’s still the Saturday!

Where have you seen that it's for hospital workers only? Haven't seen anything to suggest that meself.

blackflower 09-04-2020 15:09

It’s on the Motorpoint Arena’s page for the gig:

https://motorpointarenacardiff.co.uk...cert-nhs-staff

sculptureofabloke 09-04-2020 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackflower (Post 2682213)
It’s on the Motorpoint Arena’s page for the gig:

https://motorpointarenacardiff.co.uk...cert-nhs-staff

Wow, that surprises me. Presume it's a venue decision rather than band, makes no sense at all.

Still, can't imagine security being strict enough to be asking people where they work and what they do, our ID should be enough. Which reminds me, I started a new NHS job last week... not actually been in yet courtesy of COVID-19, but I'll be needing a new ID...

blackflower 09-04-2020 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2682214)
Wow, that surprises me. Presume it's a venue decision rather than band, makes no sense at all.

Still, can't imagine security being strict enough to be asking people where they work and what they do, our ID should be enough. Which reminds me, I started a new NHS job last week... not actually been in yet courtesy of COVID-19, but I'll be needing a new ID...

You know, I think you’re right. I can’t imagine the Manics allowing an entry policy that refused some NHS staff because they were the wrong kind of NHS!

Okay, back to thinking I’ll do both gigs :)

sculptureofabloke 09-04-2020 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackflower (Post 2682216)
You know, I think you’re right. I can’t imagine the Manics allowing an entry policy that refused some NHS staff because they were the wrong kind of NHS!

Okay, back to thinking I’ll do both gigs :)

I left a comment on Sean's post about the gig on Facebook anyway. Just asked him if he was aware of the policy, said about it potentially excluding NHS workers who work at GP, in community or whatever and would hate for them to miss out.

Fuck it, go for it :) Thing is there's nowt to stop anyone at all going for tickets and trying to blag it. Might've been good to have em only available to people who have NHS email, but I dunno, are there people working in the NHS who don't?

blackflower 09-04-2020 17:05

Yes, I thought at first they’d ask for an NHS email address and send a code or something. But some contractors like cleaners perhaps may not have the NHS email, and I am glad that the policy does state that cleaners, porters etc are included as they do an essential job and are often forgotten about.

I just listened to the JDB interview that MSPpedia put up and he says nothing about hospital staff only, just NHS workers, so that settles it for me :)

sculptureofabloke 09-04-2020 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackflower (Post 2682218)
Yes, I thought at first they’d ask for an NHS email address and send a code or something. But some contractors like cleaners perhaps may not have the NHS email, and I am glad that the policy does state that cleaners, porters etc are included as they do an essential job and are often forgotten about.

I just listened to the JDB interview that MSPpedia put up and he says nothing about hospital staff only, just NHS workers, so that settles it for me :)

Yeah, there's no way that was the band's idea. Good luck tomorrow, just not at my expense :p

blackflower 09-04-2020 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2682219)
Yeah, there's no way that was the band's idea. Good luck tomorrow, just not at my expense :p

Haha! Thanks, good luck to you too. Fingers crossed we’ll both be there! :)

The Gutless Wonder 09-04-2020 19:06

Good on ya boys! Knew they would come up with something like this! ❤

VCK 09-04-2020 21:04

Brilliant gesture.

I actually work in the NHS (albeit as an admin in a mental health trust) but I'm planning on starting teacher training in September - fingers crossed! - which means I won't be able to take that Friday off. However, we're planning on doing the Saturday and making a weekend of it in Cardiff. Any idea how much tickets will cost?

Anaconda Vice 10-04-2020 09:01

I actually created a Ticketmaster account to get tickets for the 2nd paid night.

I feel dirty even touching Ticketmaster but it seems like that's the only option I have...

Noisy Cat 10-04-2020 10:43

From Ticketmaster:

Tickets will be limited to 2 per person (eligible NHS staff members and one guest) and will be available from 7pm on Friday 10th April 2020. Tickets in excess of 2 will be cancelled.

Ticket applications must only be made by the NHS member of staff who must bring their valid NHS or Primary Care Trust I.D card (original format, no photocopies) to the show, as ticket checks will be in operation. All tickets will carry the name of the person who made the booking, and this must match the name that is on the NHS or Primary Care Trust I.D card or admission will be refused. The guest of the eligible NHS staff member will need to be present and enter the venue at the same time.

Those eligible for tickets will be all NHS staff that work within NHS hospitals in the United Kingdom including, but not limited to, doctors, nurses, support workers, porters and cleaners. Any staff that work within the hospital will be eligible to apply for tickets. Eligible NHS staff members are entitled to bring one guest with them but will need two tickets (one for them and one for their guest). If you secure tickets in error as you are not NHS staff, please contact the ticket provider to arrange cancellation of those tickets. If you secure tickets and find that you are unable to attend, please contact the ticket provider to arrange cancellation of these tickets, to enable the tickets to be available to other NHS staff.

Routine Builder 10-04-2020 11:18

For the free tickets, will Ticketmaster still charge £12 for bugger all?

sculptureofabloke 10-04-2020 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Routine Builder (Post 2682235)
For the free tickets, will Ticketmaster still charge £12 for bugger all?

Are they? Cheeky twats. Just seen that they're still listing tickets for the Killers supports in June. Piss take that, as if they've not been cancelled yet.

everlasting 10-04-2020 16:01

So just to confirm, you HAVE to work for the NHS who work IN a hospital, it doesn't include any other kind of carers or support workers, which I am. Poo!
Ah well, hope all who go have a good time. I'll wait until they do a new tour in 2021 I guess.

blackflower 10-04-2020 16:17

Do you work for the NHS everlasting? I can’t see them turning away anyone with an NHS ID badge!

blackflower 10-04-2020 18:09

YES! I'm going to both nights! AND proof that this is for all NHS and not just hospital staff, this is the first line of the terms and conditions:

"This event is a thank you to all NHS and auxiliary staff. Tickets are available for staff only, including but not limited to doctors, nurses, porters, cleaners, support workers. Please respect this, ID checks will be in place"

:D

mishima 10-04-2020 18:10

Despite Ticketmaster throwing me out 3 times after getting tix in basket, managed to get tix for the 5th. Eating cheesecake to calm down!!

Anaconda Vice 10-04-2020 18:15

Going!

Is it me or are Manics tickets surprisingly cheap for arena gigs?

Just over 35 quid for this one - think Cardiff 2018 (RIF tour) was around 40-ish...

sculptureofabloke 10-04-2020 18:17

Sorted for both nights, job's a good un. Expected the second night to be a bit pricier, cheaper than the last tour. Chuffed with these anyway, hope you managed to get tickets Everlasting and Blackflower.

No booking fee or owt on the free ones either, Routine Builder.

blackflower 10-04-2020 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2682246)
Sorted for both nights, job's a good un. Expected the second night to be a bit pricier, cheaper than the last tour. Chuffed with these anyway, hope you managed to get tickets Everlasting and Blackflower.

Thank you! Glad you got your tickets, I got mine for both too! And yes, pleasantly surprised at how cheap the Saturday night gig is - but I'm guessing they want to guarantee a sell out to get as much money as possible for the NHS charities. Anyway, I'm thrilled to bits! :)

sculptureofabloke 10-04-2020 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackflower (Post 2682243)
YES! I'm going to both nights! AND proof that this is for all NHS and not just hospital staff, this is the first line of the terms and conditions:

"This event is a thank you to all NHS and auxiliary staff. Tickets are available for staff only, including but not limited to doctors, nurses, porters, cleaners, support workers. Please respect this, ID checks will be in place"

:D

Great stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected any NHS staff to be excluded from this. Course I'd still expect non-NHS people to try to blag it..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaconda Vice (Post 2682245)
Going!

Is it me or are Manics tickets surprisingly cheap for arena gigs?

Just over 35 quid for this one - think Cardiff 2018 (RIF tour) was around 40-ish...

I thought that too, wonder if with it being for charity if CIA have reduced or waived any fees or whatever.

Abstract Unknown Girl 10-04-2020 18:31

We’ll be at the second night, hurrah! And I wish all the NHS staff going to the first night a great time, you all deserve it :heart:

relic 10-04-2020 18:43

My HCA sister has plus oned me for Friday night, so I've bought her a ticket for Saturday and will be paying for our hotel room and travel. Seems only fair :)

I am really looking forward to this.

Glyn 10-04-2020 19:18

Was also pleasently surprised by the lower ticket price , hopefully they will do a collection on the night as well so will try and remember to factor in the cheaper price of admission to any donation!

Was also pleased to get good seats (too old to stand nowadays) so all in all a great result!

Routine Builder 10-04-2020 19:22

Hell must have frozen over...

rosetree 10-04-2020 19:24

I think it's amazing that the band are doing concerts for the health service and really special that they are dedicating a concert to NHS workers. I have worked for the NHS for over 20 years although I will be going to the Saturday concert I'm very happy to contribute more to all the amazing constant hard working throughout🌈

Noisy Cat 10-04-2020 20:02

Both nights 'sold out' already!

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d3&oe=5EB6518F

hummingbird 10-04-2020 21:02

Got mine for Saturday :)

Son of Stopped 10-04-2020 21:40

No way I can make gigs outside Liverpool in precovid circumstances. Seriously happy everyone seems to have got a ticket. Fuck you always to the eBay arseholes to come.
Really happy and would like to know how these gigs were set up?
I'd love to think it came from out their own pockets. There have been similar charity gigs planned for Paul Heaton and Rick Astley.
I can't see the Manics being able to front an entire tour where all proceeds went to charity.
But one or two shows seems more doable. What's Bono's and McCartney's excuses then?!