Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

Son of Stopped 03-07-2014 22:59

I did think of making a thread with a poll, but then read she's 11 so maybe not.
No, I don't mean it like that!
All I'm saying is in the Nicky interview in Mojo July, he mentions his angry daughter can read music and can play, piano, violin and clarinet (GAH! First instrument I touched! Bastard old school supply teacher who thought only girls should play the clarinet!).
And it got me thinking, if it's going to be a few years since we get a new album, would you like to hear her play something on the record one day?
I would! But I can't see Nicky exposing her to... well us, basically!

See you Tuesday!

LadyWoodbee 08-07-2014 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2605695)
I did think of making a thread with a poll, but then read she's 11 so maybe not.
No, I don't mean it like that!
All I'm saying is in the Nicky interview in Mojo July, he mentions his angry daughter can read music and can play, piano, violin and clarinet (GAH! First instrument I touched! Bastard old school supply teacher who thought only girls should play the clarinet!).
And it got me thinking, if it's going to be a few years since we get a new album, would you like to hear her play something on the record one day?
I would! But I can't see Nicky exposing her to... well us, basically!

See you Tuesday!

Wow, sounds like she's a musical genius. Wonder where she got that from; can't have been her dad, can it? ;)

Anyway, is your question whether we'd like to hear her make a guest appearance on a Manics album, or have her record her own music?

Either way, I don't care one way or the other. If she's old enough to decide for herself, and has fun doing it, why not? If it was just about her playing an instrument, and just on the album, we wouldn't see/hear her talk/sing anyway, so I don't think it would be a massive privacy issue. What I hate is when bands/singers have their kids make a "special appearance" during live shows. There's a bunch of New Kids on the Block (I know, I know...) live videos on Youtube, and during one song they have the son of one of them sing the intro, or something like that. He's tiny and looks really intimidated, so that sort of thing would really piss me off.

Dac X Lee 08-07-2014 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee (Post 2607214)
Wow, sounds like she's a musical genius. Wonder where she got that from; can't have been her dad, can it? ;)

Anyway, is your question whether we'd like to hear her make a guest appearance on a Manics album, or have her record her own music?

Either way, I don't care one way or the other. If she's old enough to decide for herself, and has fun doing it, why not? If it was just about her playing an instrument, and just on the album, we wouldn't see/hear her talk/sing anyway, so I don't think it would be a massive privacy issue.

Well, we dunno the kids singing Clash's songs on Sandinista, after all, do we? I think that's not bad of a suggestion.

Geranium Terrorists 08-07-2014 04:39

SPLAM (well, actually they wrote the whole title, not SPLAM) is free on Google Play blared the Twitter. I followed the link (despite already owning the album and not having Google Play) and found that 12 people had given the album 1 star out of 5. There must have been some error with downloading and all the other tracks replaced with Between The Clock And The Bed.

AK47 09-07-2014 13:36

Whatever the Manics do next can only be a good thing.

Manualex16 09-07-2014 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 2607734)

I can think of... PFAYM part 2: Electric Boogaloo

mrdavidj 09-07-2014 20:25

Roll on 2024...

LadyWoodbee 09-07-2014 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 2607734)

Apart from splitting up.

Scarecrow 10-07-2014 08:21

I can't believe Lifeblood's nearly a full decade old now. Controversially, I really enjoyed that tour, but it seems like such a strange period now. Gonna give it a spin tonight. I still love Cardiff Afterlife, To Repel Ghosts, 1985, Soulmates...

LadyWoodbee 10-07-2014 18:57

Am I the only one who thinks that Nicky's lyrics are either really spot-on, sharp, and utterly brilliant, or sort of platitudinous, trite, and kind of cringeworthy? And that there's no in-between, really?

Thank God the latter are relatively rare.

SeanOfTheDead 10-07-2014 21:13

7 of the 12 studio albums share their name with a track. 5 of the last 6 do but just 2 of the first 6.

Manualex16 11-07-2014 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanOfTheDead (Post 2608121)
7 of the 12 studio albums share their name with a track. 5 of the last 6 do but just 2 of the first 6.

Out of those latter manics albums I think the best title track is Send Away The Tigers followed closely by Journal, then Futurology, Rewind and Postcards a mile away.

Borderliner 16-07-2014 16:52

Nicky ain't got nothing to say about Mayakovsky :(

jl45 16-07-2014 20:26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvYQ...ature=youtu.be

Full gig: Manics [1994-10-17] Nottingham, Rock City (UK)

Dac X Lee 17-07-2014 04:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borderliner (Post 2609621)
Nicky ain't got nothing to say about Mayakovsky :(

His name says much already. ;)
But yeah, I'd like to hear from Nicky about Mayakovski as well.