Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Generation Terrorists: 20th Anniversary Edition (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58388)

MSPKYE 23-03-2012 09:13

Generation Terrorists: 20th Anniversary Edition

Hopes and expectations for the release?

It definitely needs remastering, would they go as far as a re-record for some tracks or just leave them raw and young? Wonder which demos they have stocked up and unheard things, maybe Behave Yourself Baby will get a single release (you know it makes sense)

relic 23-03-2012 09:17

James, Nicky and Sean werewolf transformation video for Damn Dog?

Dancing Kirby 23-03-2012 09:39

As much as it would be good to hear, they can't do any re-recording or remixing without rendering the original album completely redundant. I still think the remastering for Stay Beautiful and Love's Sweet Exile on National Treasures is great. If they can get everything else up to that level (which, to my ears, they didn't do on NT, especially You Love Us), then that's a job well done.

Obviously the anniversary has been and gone, so I take that to mean they'll be using the Christmas market once more to release a rip off box set version. I wonder what unbranded goodies they'll pick up from the Boots sale to include in it this time?

AK47 23-03-2012 09:45

I really hope they do this re-release justice. It would be excellent to have the original album remastered on CD1 and on CD2 to have a lot of demo tracks, outtakes, etc. The DVD SHOULD include all of the videos from that period on Hi-Def format. I very much doubt we'll see any of the Astoria shows on the DVD. The idea of re-recording sounds good, in theory, however, all I would personally want is for the drums to be redone. The vocals from James are fantastic anyway and to re-record vocals or tracks from scratch would diminish the youthfulness of the original recordings. I'm all for a residency somewhere for the band to play GT in its entireity :)

nocultureicons 23-03-2012 09:46

Remastering and the demos Nicky mentioned is a given. I hope he was serious about the release and not just being Nickyish.

I'd like a bonus disc of the album rerecorded or acoustic but there's no way that'll happen. Not fussed about the bsides being on there, want as much stuff I've not heard before. I mainly got the NT box for the remastered GT era stuff.

Maybe they've got some archive live footage for a DVD? That'd get a thumbs up from me.

AK47 23-03-2012 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby (Post 2446805)
As much as it would be good to hear, they can't do any re-recording or remixing without rendering the original album completely redundant. I still think the remastering for Stay Beautiful and Love's Sweet Exile on National Treasures is great. If they can get everything else up to that level (which, to my ears, they didn't do on NT, especially You Love Us), then that's a job well done.

Obviously the anniversary has been and gone, so I take that to mean they'll be using the Christmas market once more to release a rip off box set version. I wonder what unbranded goodies they'll pick up from the Boots sale to include in it this time?

There is a rumour that the box set will come with a Richey Edwards "razor blade slash" action figure and a "screaming in fear" Steve LaMaque figure. Apparently, Nicky has been going around Clarks looking for as many empty shoeboxes he can find :)

everlasting 23-03-2012 10:40

They actually going to release an anniversary edition? I hope there's a really good DVD with cool interviews and lots of live and TV performances. And I hope the booklet(s) will be able to be removed from the packaging cos it's annoying having to lay the entire Holy Bible and EMG packages down on a table or my bed to read the booklets.

The Gutless Wonder 23-03-2012 10:41

Looking forward to the interview bits! :D

Dext37 Fielding 23-03-2012 12:05

Full video for Strip it Down?

nocultureicons 23-03-2012 13:22

Oh yeah, I hope they drag that one out of the vault kicking and screaming!

exopotamie 23-03-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocultureicons (Post 2446809)
Remastering and the demos Nicky mentioned is a given. I hope he was serious about the release and not just being Nickyish.

I'd like a bonus disc of the album rerecorded or acoustic but there's no way that'll happen. Not fussed about the bsides being on there, want as much stuff I've not heard before. I mainly got the NT box for the remastered GT era stuff.

Maybe they've got some archive live footage for a DVD? That'd get a thumbs up from me.

Ugh, that was something I didn't know I wanted until you mentioned it and now I want it so badly! :P

The Gutless Wonder 23-03-2012 13:47

Something to look forward to anyway! Yay! :D

A Design For Manic 23-03-2012 14:01

they needs remastering it but I prefer leave them raw and young...

Scarecrow 23-03-2012 14:48

I'd love for this to come out. All the other bands doing deluxe versions (Pumpkins, Suede, Mary Chain etc) seem to get it right. Remastering, demos, era gig on DVD would be fantastic.

Flint 23-03-2012 15:05

All the b-sides and some interesting demos, ta. Leave the remixes, acoustic versions and live stuff off.

AK47 23-03-2012 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2446917)
All the b-sides and some interesting demos, ta. Leave the remixes, acoustic versions and live stuff off.

If they offer them up, I'll take them. Why leave them off?

nsebastian 23-03-2012 15:55

Remastered tracks (adding live drumming would be brilliant), demos, and unseen footage from the music video recordings, like the extra clips for Love's Sweet Exile. Maybe some interviews.

Flint 23-03-2012 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 2446928)
If they offer them up, I'll take them. Why leave them off?

Considering it's probably going to be another 2CD effort (+ DVD) and CD1 is going to be filled to the brim with the actual album, I'd rather that precious disc space was given to the more interesting/essential (IMO) things.

TBH there's so much that you could fill the tracklist with (the early demos, the re-recorded GT tracks from the US release, b-sides, album demos, live material, etc) that it's going to be really interesting to see what they go with.

AK47 23-03-2012 16:05

I really hope they do a fantastic job on this set and not rush it through.

AK47 23-03-2012 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2446935)
Considering it's probably going to be another 2CD effort (+ DVD) and CD1 is going to be filled to the brim with the actual album, I'd rather that precious disc space was given to the more interesting/essential (IMO) things.

TBH there's so much that you could fill the tracklist with (the early demos, the re-recorded GT tracks from the US release, b-sides, album demos, live material, etc) that it's going to be really interesting to see what they go with.

Very true. I have 99% of the GT era stuff as it is on original CD's, imports, etc. I'd still love to own this set regardless. I have a hunch the band will record a documentary to acompany the release and just talk about the recording, the writing lyrics, the look, etc. This would be a release purely for the purists and completists.

Donkey 23-03-2012 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsebastian (Post 2446933)
Remastered tracks (adding live drumming would be brilliant).

OMG remastering discussion again. How do you expect live drums to appear during mastering???

mastering = you get the final mix in wave (one track) and you only change it's sound a bit. Add some compression, EQ, reverb sometimes, limiter to choose volume etc.

If you need them to change something in music then you need them to RE-MIX it. (I think that the glorius "remastering" hyster was caused by musical industry always highliting something is remastered or digitaly remeastered although in 99%ˇthere's no need to remaster it. Only we you take some very old record and want it to sound modern and compressed. But even in that case I prefer the old master.)

I think and I really think, that re-recording of anything is the worst idea ever.

Re-mixing is also a bad idea IMHO.

Ironically re.mastering would help a lot in case of GT, because it's too silent and mid-frequency-orientated and that can be solved.

nsebastian 23-03-2012 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkey (Post 2446969)
OMG remastering discussion again. How do you expect live drums to appear during mastering???

Sorry, I meant remastering for volume, clarity, etc, and then as an afterthought, that adding live drums in addition to remastering would be interesting.

Donkey 23-03-2012 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsebastian (Post 2447168)
Sorry, I meant remastering for volume, clarity, etc, and then as an afterthought, that adding live drums in addition to remastering would be interesting.

OK, no problem at all! :)

almostfamous 24-03-2012 08:49

We should put together some sort of "ransom note" with cut out letters and send it to The Management...OUR DEMANDS!

Yes please - 1) I want the mythical version of "LSE" which is supposedly far superior to the version they released. 2) Oh and the stars and stripes version of "You Love Us" which is bloody ace. 3) Don't rerecord stuff. Its wrong to tinker too much with the space/time continuum. Look what happened to Marty McFly = A whole bowl of wrong is what. 4) The colour on the sleeve fixed liked the band wanted it. Make it happen. 5) A full length (a twenty minutes mini-doc will be shown the door) documentary compilation of "candid" studio footage, twists n turns, drama n' heartwarming edge of the seat moments on the dvd WITH commentary track of james, nicky and sean eating chips, drinking from cans of fanta and laughing a lot. Oh and if you could do a blu-ray version for a pound more that'd be grand.

No thanks - 1) Demos recorded on "Mono-C60-ferrous-oxide-cassettes-ten-for-a-fiver from-the-Tandy's-downtown-you know-the-one-next-to-the-big-Wimpy" that are of such poor quality I'll listen to them once and put them on the shelf and never take them down til I'm moving house or dead. 2) B Sides most of us have in place of stuff we've never heard. C'mon space is serious on this shiz. 3) Live stuff (audio). Yawn. 4) Dont put crappy live stuff especially after the proper album on CD1 it totally ruins the atmos. 5) A £200 version in a dented Clarks' shoebox with "#49,999 of 50,000" written on the side in biro.

PaulTMA 24-03-2012 13:41

But remastering just makes everything sound better doesn't it? Especially on my laptop speakers!!! Literally.

Porco 24-03-2012 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostfamous (Post 2447247)

[....] recorded on "Mono-C60-ferrous-oxide-cassettes-ten-for-a-fiver from-the-Tandy's-downtown-you know-the-one-next-to-the-big-Wimpy" [....]

:lol:

Excellent nostalgia-invoking description.

Aestivate 24-03-2012 17:01

The problem with GT is that they should have mixed it in dobly

deadmartyr 24-03-2012 18:03

Pump up the volume, brand new documentary with some never before seen old footage, and unheard audio. Really hoping there's an unknown song or two, whether recorded in the studio or only to the demo stage.

Donkey 24-03-2012 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulTMA (Post 2447286)
But remastering just makes everything sound better doesn't it? Especially on my laptop speakers!!! Literally.

re-mastering = mastereing again.

1) 92: GT final mix + 92 mastering = GT

2) 2012: GT final mix + 2012 mastering = GT 2012

it's just another attempt. It could sound better, worse, same... it's like when you have your car parked and decide to re-park it. You can do it exactly the same, better or worse. Also you can crash into abother car :D That's what happens when you destroy GT final mix. :)

UEF 24-03-2012 22:49

Do something to make the album not sound like this

http://www.dimensionsguide.com/wp-co...Egg-Carton.jpg

But please, no gigs for a few years.

I quite like the cassette tape demos we've had from EMG though, so don't get rid of those!

Mayhew 25-03-2012 11:52

Disc 1 with a remastered album, Sean replaying the drums hopefully on the tracks! Disc 2 B sides, demos and live tracks. DVD band interview about the album, all the videos in great quality, old band interviews and live performances.

PLEASE! :D

Glyn 25-03-2012 12:15

Closest we'll get to 'real' drums will be the hopefully included radio session tracks (would love to have clear quality versions of the Methadone Pretty and Natwest...radio sessions) I'd bet on an alternative bomb squad mix of Repeat in there too ,have I just put a dampner on the whole reissue now ? ;)

Flint 25-03-2012 12:29

I really don't like the idea of re-recording the drums for the main disc, I don't like the idea of rewriting history like that. I'd also imagine there's no way to make it actually sound like it fits without re-recording the rest of the songs too and that'd be even worse. Hope they won't do it. The closest thing they should do is add the American version re-recordings on the bonus disc but that's it.

Plus I've gotten too used to the drum machine sounds, they're an integral part of the album's sound!

UEF 25-03-2012 13:08

When I listen to GT I don't hear a drum machine (maybe I would if I was a drummer) but I do hear a lot of 80s EQ, scooped guitar and a James that can't sing very well.

Don't see the point of changing it a little bit.

Donkey 25-03-2012 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2447844)
and a James that can't sing very well.

wow, are you serious? GT vocals are one of his best performancies IMHO

UEF 25-03-2012 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donkey (Post 2447859)
wow, are you serious? GT vocals are one of his best performancies IMHO

Entirely, but I would content that some of his most technical guitar work is on that album.

Napoleon Bonaparte 25-03-2012 15:40

I really want the "Fuck off" mixed back into Stay Beautiful if possible.

AK47 25-03-2012 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2447844)
When I listen to GT I don't hear a drum machine (maybe I would if I was a drummer) but I do hear a lot of 80s EQ, scooped guitar and a James that can't sing very well.

Don't see the point of changing it a little bit.

James sounds pretty good on GT IMHO.

Mayhew 25-03-2012 22:31

I guess the drums re-recording isn't as important, personally I think the remastering of the tracks for National Treasures was superb, the same job for the rest of the album and I'm happy!

James' voice is great on GT, I think it's just so unique his early voice.

Dancing Kirby 26-03-2012 09:23

Suicide Alley and Motown Junk, those are songs where his voice is weak. On GT it's fine unless you're the kind of person who prefers his more recent Robbie Williams/Gary Barlow/Matt Cardle impersonations.

Then a year later on GATS it was in its prime.