Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

Bambi 28-08-2015 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2650270)
Looks great. Which site did you use and how much did it cost?

Agree, and same question! I've always wanted to get something with a custom logo/slogan but have never heard a recommendation about one that's good quality.

Lord Revan 28-08-2015 20:49

Thanks guys, I made it on spreadshirt.com!

junkymotown 29-08-2015 10:19

MSP made my 2-year old cry

My son loves clocks.
Today he wanted to watch a video of a clock, while his Daddy wanted him to watch something musical. So I put Everything Must Go on on the iPad after remembering that the video has a giant clock in it.
He watched the clock, but then got bored of it, so I skipped towards the end, thinking he might find it entertaining to see the girl smash the clock with a bass guitar...
Oh my god, my boy was inconsolable. Even when I skipped back and showed him the clock whole again. He cried for a solid 20 minutes, screamed if he saw the iPad and wouldn't let go of his Mummy.
I feel bad.
Naughty Manic Street Preachers!

pineapple 29-08-2015 10:35

Ha! He'll be reliving that traumatic experience in 20 years on a psychiatrist's couch :-P

....."it was at that moment my 2 year old self fully understood the fragility of the human condition and the meaningless and transience of life"

Automatik 30-08-2015 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Revan (Post 2650280)
Thanks guys, I made it on spreadshirt.com!

Thanks for the tip! I've always had the same reservations as Bambi.

Son of Stopped 30-08-2015 20:08

I fell asleep, but were the Manics on Absolute radio tonight or tomorrow? Or not for a while?

Deets 31-08-2015 10:56

it would be such a shame if they didn't choose roundhouse to play during EMG 20 Anniversary Tour, considering ADFL video history.

Nobody 31-08-2015 19:41

I've been wondering for a while; why was Life Becoming A Landslide classed as an "e.p."? It was released just the same as all the other singles on the album, same amount of b-sides, formats, music video etc...

New Art Riot is an e.p. but it actually has more of a feel as a mini album rather then a single. I never really saw the actual song as an A-side, just really the title track.

Dancing Kirby 31-08-2015 20:15

At that point it was quite rare for them to have a single release with three previously unreleased studio tracks as b-sides. It would have been even rarer if Roses hadn't got there first one release earlier.

Automatik 01-09-2015 13:46

As I recall it - and I may be wrong - CD singles typically had four tracks on them, presumably as an incentive to buy the format over cassette and vinyl (which had as few as two each, hence a-side and b-side).

To digress, given my interest in b-sides and remixes, I've considered how expectations of what a single must contain increased exponentially from the early 1990s on.

It worked, but it meant the artist/record company had to produce a lot more 'previously unreleased' tracks (thus the sticker on every Manics CD single release) and this led to the inclusion of remixes, live tracks, 'versions' and, later on, the digging up of old discarded tracks. A single with exclusive tracks in each format including two CDs could end up with as many as eight 'previously unreleased tracks', so it was a lot.

Ironically, digital downloads have lessened this pressure and b-sides, remixes and the like are no longer necessary - they're just as likely to be given away as free downloads and 'website exclusives' now.

Son of Stopped 01-09-2015 15:10

I've never understood why the chain shops don't think to store CD singles alongside the albums if there's less demand for them due to technology.
(Overlooking that there's a ready made market for owning extra tracks as b-sides! But that's why I'm not in the industry then!)

Strawberry 01-09-2015 17:42

Today, I saw a woman that looked like Nicky Wire.

Dac X Lee 02-09-2015 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 2650396)
Today, I saw a woman that looked like Nicky Wire.

This just reminded me some time ago I saw an east Asian version of a younger Nicky Wire too.

Automatik 02-09-2015 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2650391)
I've never understood why the chain shops don't think to store CD singles alongside the albums if there's less demand for them due to technology.
(Overlooking that there's a ready made market for owning extra tracks as b-sides! But that's why I'm not in the industry then!)

From about 2005 to 2010 trying to find CD singles for sale became an impossible task. In the end buying them over the internet was the only option.

A pity as - same with albums - I always enjoyed rushing home with that new release to hear that b-side or that remix.

Do record shops still stock singles?

hummingbird 02-09-2015 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2650421)
From about 2005 to 2010 trying to find CD singles for sale became an impossible task. In the end buying them over the internet was the only option.

A pity as - same with albums - I always enjoyed rushing home with that new release to hear that b-side or that remix.

Do record shops still stock singles?

Sister ray and rough trade in London have vinyl singles but CDs have gone the way of the dodo.. it's all downloads now. HMV have only just started to stock vinyl albums in all stores and bloody Tescos is in on the vinyl bandwagon i've just read somewhere