Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

sculptureofabloke 27-07-2018 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2674870)
It’s really, really good in parts.

However three duets (RTF is nice), a terrible instrumental, and a Nicky lead vocal brings it right down for me I’m afraid. That’s why I love RIF, it’s like James has found his voice again and has rediscovered his passion for singing. More of that on the next album please.

Bloody love the title track, lol don't see what's terrible about Manorbier but as ever, each to their own. Don't think the increasing duets and instrumentals since Postcards is anything to do with James losing passion for singing as much as not wanting to wear his voice out and wanting to add another dimension to a song with another voice. Nicky can't sing, everyone knows that and he'd be the first to admit as much. Doesn't necessarily make a crap song though, don't need to be exceptional musicians to make a great song.

Routine Builder 27-07-2018 10:29

From the interviews in around Futurology and Rewind the Film, James made it clear he was becoming frustrated with the sound of his own voice which is to be expected after 30 years and circa 400 songs. The problem is that he seems to be a little bit of a control hog in the studio so even when we get the guest vocalist, they're rarely given free reign unless they're someone with gravitas like Richard Hawley and Ian McCulloch. Judging by the demos, most of the duets are written before the singer is asked and hence we get more often get the singer singing from James's sheet rather than bringing their own talent to the song. That's not to say the duets are bad, they're not, but I do struggle to remember which soft singing female artist songs on which duet and that feels like a shame.

raven 28-07-2018 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Routine Builder (Post 2674891)
From the interviews in around Futurology and Rewind the Film, James made it clear he was becoming frustrated with the sound of his own voice which is to be expected after 30 years and circa 400 songs. The problem is that he seems to be a little bit of a control hog in the studio so even when we get the guest vocalist, they're rarely given free reign unless they're someone with gravitas like Richard Hawley and Ian McCulloch. Judging by the demos, most of the duets are written before the singer is asked and hence we get more often get the singer singing from James's sheet rather than bringing their own talent to the song. That's not to say the duets are bad, they're not, but I do struggle to remember which soft singing female artist songs on which duet and that feels like a shame.

I think that's a little unfair if I dare say:) And they may well have a vocalist in mind as they're writing a duet - you don't always get the person you have in mind from what I understand of course. I think they choose well and Cate Le Bon on 4 Lonely Roads is for me at least a perfect choice....McCulloch is such a big name and with such a distinct voice it's hardly surprising he springs to mind quicker when thinking on duets.....sometimes the big names get in the way....a chance to perform with an idol of yours above the song....not that I think that's the case with Some Kind of Nothingness as I love that one a lot but it is hard to match a good duet so they're both inhabiting the song rather than performing as 'themselves' ...a guest starring performance......4 Lonely Roads is one of their best in that respect. You're supposed to work together in interpretation not have free reign....though yeah James has pretty much said he can't help but erm offer advice....ha. He just wants it all to come together

tomd2103 09-08-2018 22:57

Following on from the discussion about duets, I was flicking through various Youtube videos the other day and saw an interview where James was talking about the possibility of recording an album with someone else singing. Got me thinking who out of all the duets they have done would be the best substitute front person for the Manics if they were to ever go down that route? I think The Anchoress has been a good fit when she has worked with them and would be a good candidate.

junkymotown 10-08-2018 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomd2103 (Post 2675015)
Following on from the discussion about duets, I was flicking through various Youtube videos the other day and saw an interview where James was talking about the possibility of recording an album with someone else singing. Got me thinking who out of all the duets they have done would be the best substitute front person for the Manics if they were to ever go down that route? I think The Anchoress has been a good fit when she has worked with them and would be a good candidate.

A whole album with Nicky singing?

Marconi Delorian 10-08-2018 10:37

I'd be up for that!

Suicide Aldi 10-08-2018 11:52

Roddy Woomble

hummingbird 10-08-2018 17:50

Ed Sheeran

still_unfashionable 11-08-2018 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkymotown (Post 2675017)
A whole album with Nicky singing?

Yes please, I'd love that!

Dac X Lee 12-08-2018 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by still_unfashionable (Post 2675041)
Yes please, I'd love that!

Me too! Me too!

Porco 20-08-2018 21:43

tenuous maybe, but...

https://www.theguardian.com/business...cing-balaclava

I mean... c'mon Nike, study the history of either the Manics or Top of the Pops (or both) and you wouldn't have had this issue in the first place... !

sculptureofabloke 23-08-2018 07:14

I heard People Give In in a pub that doesn't even have a jukebox last night. I think this is actually the first time I've heard anything from Resistance Is Futile in non-gig public.

raven 23-08-2018 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2675152)
I heard People Give In in a pub that doesn't even have a jukebox last night. I think this is actually the first time I've heard anything from Resistance Is Futile in non-gig public.

Maybe we should all start singing...or maybe in many cases humming preferably....tunes from the album whilst going about our day to day?
People. Give in.

Son of Stopped 05-09-2018 22:05

Got back from a Poetry. There was an audience member. Female! Skinny jeans! LEOPARD PRINT COAT!
So at the end I asked if she was a Manics fan?
"Nah..."

*Mash up of AC/DC's "Shot Down In Flames" and end theme from The Incredible Hulk

still_unfashionable 15-09-2018 14:43

So Nicky's art exhibition opened today, looks interesting. Anyone planning to go? I'm planning to visit the exhibition in October but I didn't realise the pieces would be for sale until today. They'll probably all be sold before I get there :(

(Best of luck with the exhibition, Nicky!)