Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

The Gutless Wonder 21-01-2012 18:43

Motown Junk. 21 years old and still sounds as fantastic as ever! :D

Bobafettish 21-01-2012 23:33

I'm Not Working is fucking good.

The Gutless Wonder 22-01-2012 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobafettish (Post 2425665)
I'm Not Working is fucking good.

It is! :D

Radiomanic 22-01-2012 18:50

This time last year...Brixton Academy! To me the real comeback gig after the bore-fest that was PFAYM and the Birmingham December 2010 show. Starting with Slash N Burn, great memories!

The Gutless Wonder 22-01-2012 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiomanic (Post 2425909)
This time last year...Brixton Academy! To me the real comeback gig after the bore-fest that was PFAYM and the Birmingham December 2010 show. Starting with Slash N Burn, great memories!

Oi! I was at the Birmingham Dec 2010 gig and thoroughly enjoyed it! :p

Red 29-01-2012 12:05

Been listening to Richey-era Manics bootlegs with my new earphones, and they're great. I have however started noticing various strange sounds. I initially didn't know what they were, and they're too brief to get enough out of them to describe them. Almost like little clinks. As I listened more though, I began to realise that there's a pattern to them, and I could start to make some logical deducations. The first was that they aren't just random noise, or a technical problem. The abberations occured roughly in rrelation with the music, so it couldn't be that. They could almost have been percussive, but they don't fit into any part of Sean's drum playing, be it stylistically, tonally, or in terms of volume. Unless they were the sound of his drummer stool rocking back and forth, maybe. But no. Drums are very loud, so it wouldn't be that. It couldn't be Nicky. Too high a pitch, and it occured at times when he wasn't playing. Couldn't be James either. While the sound had some loose connection with the music, it was totally out of sync with James' guitar playing. I pondered for a moment if it could be something weird he was doing, or if he was wearing a jacket that kept hitting the strings or something, but none of that made sense. The aberations remained a mystery. Looking outside the box, I began to wonder if maybe the gigs were taped on tapes that had previously been used for something else, and maybe I was hearing the residue of a loud snare from a previous recording, or from the soundcheck. Maybe it was the crowd jumping around. It was strange, whatever it was.

After some thought, it dawned on me that what I was hearing was actually Richey's guitar playing.

Mr Richey 29-01-2012 23:33

Apart from Lifeblood, The Holy Bible is the most un-Manics sounding album the Manics have ever done. Seriously, listen to all of their albums and you can hear the traces of their sound throughout - except for on those two records. They are unlike anything else the band has ever done. Some of you will probably be like "Yeah, duh!" but I think a large section of Manics fandom (myself included until recently) will have never considered this fact in relation to THB. It really is nothing like a traditional Manics album...and maybe that's why we love it so much?

Manualex16 29-01-2012 23:37

Nostalgic Pushead has the best JDB solo on the record for the Manics

nsebastian 30-01-2012 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 2428174)
After some thought, it dawned on me that what I was hearing was actually Richey's guitar playing.

"Various strange sounds" with "some loose connection to the music" - yeah, that's Richey. :lol:

yanushka 30-01-2012 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsebastian (Post 2428636)
"Various strange sounds" with "some loose connection to the music" - yeah, that's Richey. :lol:

:D

nocultureicons 30-01-2012 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiomanic (Post 2425909)

Can't comment on Brixton, but Birmingham was really poor. Left as soon as they started A Design for Life, couldn't wait to get out.

The Gutless Wonder 30-01-2012 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocultureicons (Post 2428720)
Can't comment on Brixton, but Birmingham was really poor. Left as soon as they started A Design for Life, couldn't wait to get out.

Tut! :mad:

nocultureicons 30-01-2012 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder (Post 2428726)
Tut! :mad:

They should play a better set then! The only bit I enjoyed was Last Christmas, which although I called it, was still a treat.

The Gutless Wonder 30-01-2012 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocultureicons (Post 2428743)
They should play a better set then! The only bit I enjoyed was Last Christmas, which although I called it, was still a treat.

Duble tut! :mad: :mad:

hummingbird 31-01-2012 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocultureicons (Post 2428743)

acoustic You stole the sun was ace too. I enjoyed the gig but agree about the set. Brixton was MUCH better