Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Which Manics' song has the best opening two minutes? (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55171)

Cara cathau 14-11-2010 06:45

Which Manics' song has the best opening two minutes?

At the high school where I work, we have two minutes of "warning" music before the bell rings. I would love to have them play a Manics' song sometime.

When you mention the Manics here, usually all you get is a very blank stare, and, maybe, a "that group you were talking about ... it was the Maniacs, wasn't it?? ..."

I can't seem to decide on what song would be best though. I am hoping eventually to have them play more than one song, perhaps a week of Manics' songs at some point, but I need to start somewhere!

It has to be a song with NO swearing in the opening lyrics

I'm wondering about some songs from PFAYM, perhaps Billion Balconies or All We Make Is Entertainment, but I'd like to include some older songs as well, possibly Sleepflower (because I like it).

What song would you recommend?

Son of Stopped 14-11-2010 06:54

"Sculpture Of Man" from "Lipstick Traces". It goes too fast to tell if there's swearing? Plus it's under two minutes exactly!
You could do the same with "Velocity Girl" but that's a cover.

And welcome to the forum by the way.

Takk 14-11-2010 07:04

Yes. :P

Bonesy 14-11-2010 07:35

I'd say Repeat.

Although that wouldn't go well down in a school since it could be seen to besmirching the name of the Queen of Canada.

The Gutless Wonder 14-11-2010 11:02

You Stole The Sun From My Heart
Autumnsong
Glasnost

Red 14-11-2010 11:03

I'm Just A Patsy. It's one of my favourite songs off Send Away The Tigers, and I think it would fit the role perfectly with its into and post-chorus part that concludes just around the 2min mark.

workingclasshero 14-11-2010 11:41

Faster for me.

looke 14-11-2010 11:47

pcp

PCCCP 14-11-2010 12:17

The Intense Humming Of Evil.

Marwood 14-11-2010 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2146653)
"Sculpture Of Man" from "Lipstick Traces". It goes too fast to tell if there's swearing?

I think the swearing in that one is quite obvious actually :P

Isn't "cheap damn whore" in the opening lines? And the whole "Wills and Harry standing over the sodomized body of their mother" line is likely to stand out to any attentive teachers.

Regards,
Marwood.

Tiortranew 14-11-2010 13:08

I think You Will Always Be My Home from IKTZ would fit perfectly.

Nature's Discontent 14-11-2010 13:38

Dead Trees And Traffic Islands?

vstephenson 14-11-2010 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cara cathau (Post 2146652)
At the high school where I work, we have two minutes of "warning" music before the bell rings. I would love to have them play a Manics' song sometime.

When you mention the Manics here, usually all you get is a very blank stare, and, maybe, a "that group you were talking about ... it was the Maniacs, wasn't it?? ..."

I can't seem to decide on what song would be best though. I am hoping eventually to have them play more than one song, perhaps a week of Manics' songs at some point, but I need to start somewhere!

It has to be a song with NO swearing in the opening lyrics

I'm wondering about some songs from PFAYM, perhaps Billion Balconies or All We Make Is Entertainment, but I'd like to include some older songs as well, possibly Sleepflower (because I like it).

What song would you recommend?

Before I'd got to the end of your post I was thinking "Sleepflower" good taste my friend, good taste...enjoy

Inglorious 14-11-2010 14:05

The Heavenly version of 'You Love Us".

Mr Richey 14-11-2010 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiortranew (Post 2146759)
I think You Will Always Be My Home from IKTZ would fit perfectly.

That's not a Manics song. Try again.