Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

rosetree 30-11-2020 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porco (Post 2685359)
Yeah, I was thinking he looked and sounded like he was on a late 1990s Realplayer stream... or maybe an early 2000s mobile phone camera adapter. ;)

I don't think he's a smart arse. It looks like he's just decided to sing Motorcycle Emptiness and record it. Not deceive, win points or try to bring the band down. Robbie Williams did the song and he didn't know the words.

Porco 30-11-2020 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetree (Post 2685360)
I don't think he's a smart arse. It looks like he's just decided to sing Motorcycle Emptiness and record it. Not deceive, win points or try to bring the band down. Robbie Williams did the song and he didn't know the words.

(I feel like we’re still talking at cross-purposes!) Yeah I was just making fun of the terrible quality of the recording, I wouldn’t have minded hearing it properly, but it could honestly be anyone and I still have no idea if I think the performance is any good(?!).

Routine Builder 30-11-2020 10:37

Struggling to find the words smart or arse in Porco's post.... Must start taking my pills again.

Pete Doherty is just the worst.... (In a world with Laurence Fox, probably not, but I am intent on being a bitter shit today)

Glyn 30-11-2020 12:33

I enjoy the odd Libertines and Babyshambles tune but that's bad.

Suddenly Robbie ' I don't know what it means but f#@+ing come on!' William's version sounds a whole lot better.

Suicide Aldi 30-11-2020 18:00

I like Pete Doherty. But this is not good at all. For some reason he really seems to doubled down on his whole shambolic shtick the last few years.

UEF 30-11-2020 18:24

People tend to rather freely say that someone has 'murdered' a song by the mere act of covering it.

That said, Jesus Christ...

raven 30-11-2020 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porco (Post 2685362)
(I feel like we’re still talking at cross-purposes!) Yeah I was just making fun of the terrible quality of the recording, I wouldn’t have minded hearing it properly, but it could honestly be anyone and I still have no idea if I think the performance is any good(?!).

Neither does Pete :)

rosetree 01-12-2020 02:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porco (Post 2685362)

I think the worst could be an artist who likes the band, but no connection with the lyrics and wouldn't be thought to wreck the song.

Porco 01-12-2020 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven (Post 2685371)
Neither does Pete :)

:lol: Possibly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetree (Post 2685372)
I think the worst could be an artist who likes the band, but no connection with the lyrics and wouldn't be thought to wreck the song.

I feel more confused now than I was before, sorry, but I’m very tired. :confused:

Are you just saying at least Pete knows the words, and Robbie didn’t, and the latter is worse?

I honestly don’t feel all that strongly about either of them, the only difference to me is Robbie’s stream was better. I’m glad if anyone is singing Manics songs for fun, famous or not. :)

*Sings Motorcycle Emptiness* ‘Culture sucks down words... forums sometimes confuse but never-mi-i-ind...’

hummingbird 01-12-2020 15:49

Is it so bad it's good ?

LA ex 01-12-2020 17:28

The sound quality is atrocious. But what can be made out isn't great.

Nicky has often (or at least did fifteen years ago) praise the Libertines for their shambolic brilliance. I can't remember Pete (or any of the other Libertines) commenting on the Manics before.

Suicide Aldi 01-12-2020 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2685376)
The sound quality is atrocious. But what can be made out isn't great.

Nicky has often (or at least did fifteen years ago) praise the Libertines for their shambolic brilliance. I can't remember Pete (or any of the other Libertines) commenting on the Manics before.

Pete wrote into NME as a teenager slagging off the manics i believe. But i think he praised Richeys lyrics later on if my memory serves.

UEF 01-12-2020 17:37

Yeah that was my recollection too. A young Pet(er) Doherty wrote into either NME or Melody Maker and said some poetic bollocks about the manics, he was fairly well bought in but I can’t find an image of the letter

rosetree 01-12-2020 18:29

Quote:

I feel more confused now than I was before, sorry, but I’m very tired. :confused:

Are you just saying at least Pete knows the words, and Robbie didn’t, and the latter is worse?

I honestly don’t feel all that strongly about either of them, the only difference to me is Robbie’s stream was better. I’m glad if anyone is singing Manics songs for fun, famous or not. :)

*Sings Motorcycle Emptiness* ‘Culture sucks down words... forums sometimes confuse but never-mi-i-ind...’
I wasn't comparing them, but in my post I said I think it's OK and at least he knew the lyrics. Even though it's muddled. I agree what is mentioned by Nicky about the shambolic.

I didn't think it was done as a practiced cover. I was surprised that Robbie Williams didn't know the song on the video he did. when Motorcycle Emptiness is from the 90s, but they had different hits and he possibly wasn't a fan, even though bands usually know of songs that are out. If a band such as perhaps Coldplay covered it for any reason it wouldn't be good.

Radiohead once covered Tolerate and it was out of tune, so maybe it was purposely. I think those who work with the Manics would do it very well like The Anchoress or Gwenno. I can't think of a band who could do it justice or if it's been covered before.

Routine Builder 01-12-2020 19:00

In fairness, Thom sings most Radiohead tracks out of tune as well... (pretty sure it was an inbetween song jingle rather than a full on cover)

Tim 01-12-2020 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi (Post 2685378)
Pete wrote into NME as a teenager slagging off the manics i believe. But i think he praised Richeys lyrics later on if my memory serves.

He did, i remember that as well but from my memory he was railing against what the manics had become post-richey.

hummingbird 06-12-2020 12:56

Thought it was pointless for twitter to turn into Instagram with their Fleets but I'm liking the little video clips on the FD account for the single anniversaries. Today's is some kind of nothingness. Still think the video should've been James chasing Ian Mcculloch round town for an autograph. :D

Lee 06-12-2020 13:15

Ten years! Unreal.

I see Liam Gallagher did some virtual gig last night I think. Would happily pay for a similar thing - or even an hour’s live rehearsal - from the Manics right now.

UEF 06-12-2020 19:03

The Boy From the Plantation (chorus), A Billion Balconies Facing the Sun (verse) and Masses Against the Classes all have the same chords in the music (more or less)

Bobafettish 10-12-2020 12:07

A Song for the Sadness is SOOOOOOOOOOO catchy

mishima 26-12-2020 13:25

Moved house on Monday (traumatic). Unpacking cd’s today I have discovered I
have 3 copies of Masses. No idea how or why I acquired so many copies!

Porco 26-12-2020 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishima (Post 2685698)
Moved house on Monday (traumatic). Unpacking cd’s today I have discovered I
have 3 copies of Masses. No idea how or why I acquired so many copies!

You must assume a messy masterplan whereby you amassed masses of Masses as some sort of massive Christmas message being mustered. :)

(On a serious note, I hope the worst of the traumatic move is over for now!)

Dancing Kirby 31-12-2020 11:59

I’m starting to think Nicky’s solo album isn’t coming out this year.

hummingbird 31-12-2020 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby (Post 2685724)
I’m starting to think Nicky’s solo album isn’t coming out this year.

9 hours to go yet. All your dreams will come true if you just BELIEEEEEEEVE

yeah I've overdosed on disney

Tim 31-12-2020 23:04

Watching alpha papa and thinking i'd like to hear the manics tackle that 80s cheese-fest you're the voice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbkOZTSvrHs

Leave the bagpipes out though, 'kay? Thanks.

raven 01-01-2021 00:28

You've been on the sherry shurely

hummingbird 01-01-2021 00:30

Oh I dunno it is a belter and James can belt
Hmmmm

Tim 01-01-2021 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven (Post 2685728)
You've been on the sherry shurely

Don’t call me shirley. :p

It’s naff but I still like it and I like the sentiment in the lyrics, they have a manics quality during their more earnest moments. Fight me.

LA ex 01-01-2021 14:38

This may have been posted before, but I stumbled across this 1992 gig broadcast on German TV the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg56CF5B0VM

Highlights include a completely different guitar solo in Little Baby Nothing, a slightly bizarre interview with Richey and Nicky halfway through, James absolutely shredding the extended outro to You Love Us and Nicky taking the piss out of the band for not playing Motorcycle Emptiness live!

raven 01-01-2021 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 2685730)
Don’t call me shirley. :p

It’s naff but I still like it and I like the sentiment in the lyrics, they have a manics quality during their more earnest moments. Fight me.

In the carpark? Handbags at the ready Shirl :)

Glyn 01-01-2021 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2685733)
This may have been posted before, but I stumbled across this 1992 gig broadcast on German TV the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg56CF5B0VM

Highlights include a completely different guitar solo in Little Baby Nothing, a slightly bizarre interview with Richey and Nicky halfway through, James absolutely shredding the extended outro to You Love Us and Nicky taking the piss out of the band for not playing Motorcycle Emptiness live!

Good find ,that's a really good watch! JDB plays about with quite a few of the solos so he must have been in a playful mood :)

Dac X Lee 03-01-2021 04:19

Don't know if this was mentioned already, but this sad news appeared on my news feed just now.

Quote:

Steve Brown (producer of The Cult, Manics and many more) RIP
https://louderthanwar.com/steve-brow...e-cult-manics/

Tim 03-01-2021 21:14

That is sad news about steve brown, having produced some bona fide manics classics.

https://twitter.com/Manics/status/1345514530516987904

Glyn 03-01-2021 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac X Lee (Post 2685749)
Don't know if this was mentioned already, but this sad news appeared on my news feed just now.

https://louderthanwar.com/steve-brow...e-cult-manics/

Some of the production on GT doesn't quite stand up anymore (and maybe didn't even at the time) but it's safe to say that no other producer could have made Motorcycle Emptiness into the absolute beast that it ended up being. He had a massive hand in how that song was built and it absolutely changed their career.

LA ex 12-01-2021 16:48

No idea if it means anything significant, but the official Manics page on facebook is busy changing profile pictures, etc (although they don't look like new ones...)

junkymotown 06-02-2021 10:53

Read somewhere today that Sean moved to Huddersfield. Immediately felt both proud (hurrah, my home town!) and sorry (I hope he’s managed to move to the elusive “nice part of town,” wherever that is).

Then spotted this from a while ago.

https://www.facebook.com/78444603837...367747097/?d=n

Fair enough.

LA ex 06-02-2021 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkymotown (Post 2686053)
Read somewhere today that Sean moved to Huddersfield. Immediately felt both proud (hurrah, my home town!) and sorry (I hope he’s managed to move to the elusive “nice part of town,” wherever that is).

Then spotted this from a while ago.

https://www.facebook.com/78444603837...367747097/?d=n

Fair enough.

Sean Moore lives in Huddersfield? WTF? How come I've never bumped into him here?

Actually, doing a bit of a search seems it's almost three years ago he moved here (apologies that it's from the Sun)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...-quit-smoking/

UEF 06-02-2021 11:53

Didn’t know Sean had separated from his wife either

junkymotown 06-02-2021 15:58

Guess not many Sun readers amongst us... haha

hummingbird 06-02-2021 17:36

:eek: :eek: