Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Distant Colours (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62744)

Repoman 16-02-2018 06:58

Distant Colours

Well, good to wake up to that on Spotify this morning.

The teaser was something of a well, tease - it’s definitely a big chorus sparse verse formula but done very well with some precision cut manics elements. James’ voice sounds great and the live sounding guitars with string whistle left in really animate the verses. Maybe one chorus too many, like Anthem for a Lost Cause.

Gonna play the hell out of it today. Interesting to find the boredom point. It’s a massive chorus - may have indigestion by this afternoon.

Phil C 16-02-2018 07:20

Hate to say it but on the first listen this has got to be one of their weakest singles in years. Awkward tune, weak lyric, even JDB's vocal isn't very good (his phrasing in the verses doesn't work for me). Generally speaking when songwriters start relying on phrases like 'break my heart a thousand times' and 'a broken promise for the soul' they're in trouble, and shoving a string section over the chorus doesn't hide it. Hopefully it'll either get better on repeated listening or will turn out to be the album's 'Autumnsong' and the rest of the album will be better than the single.

Routine Builder 16-02-2018 07:57

Not great but nor does it sound like the band sailing on autopilot so I don't hate it. Feels like a b-side given a full single production. I have a feeling it might sound a bit more powerful live.

blackflower 16-02-2018 08:10

I love it. It has a genuine warmth to it. It feels instantly familiar, which may mean it's not too adventurous, but there's nothing wrong with the Manics making songs that sound like the Manics!

My only criticism would be that, as with International Blue, they could have done something more interesting between the second and final choruses. But that's a nitpick. Both these new songs make me more excited to see them live than I have been since about 2004 :D

UEF 16-02-2018 08:19

Here’s the video: https://youtu.be/7RZzxbZ6WWY

Dancing Kirby 16-02-2018 08:59

I no longer want to be an enabler.

Preorder cancelled.

someone, somewhere, soon 16-02-2018 09:44

anyone else getting Together in Electric Dreams stuck in their head after hearing this?

Oldland Manic 16-02-2018 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon (Post 2669696)
anyone else getting Together in Electric Dreams stuck in their head after hearing this?

A little bit, yes. See what you mean!! ;)

dolphin 16-02-2018 10:30

It's OK although a bit 'Manics attempt to get a hit' by numbers. It sounds exactly what you would expect it to be like and the lyrics are full of generic phrases and fail to give the song any sort of unique character.

Futurology had a generic-sounding lead single but turned out to be a great album so I hope this is the same.

hummingbird 16-02-2018 10:58

I like the video too. Pre-order not cancelled :)

Flint 16-02-2018 11:50

It's pleasant but both singles seem to heading a bit too backwards towards SATT/PFAYM tones than I was hoping for after RTF/Futurology.

Struggling to really say much more about this after three listens.

UEF 16-02-2018 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon (Post 2669696)

For me, it's "By The Rivers Of Babylon", especially in the chorus/guitar

UEF 16-02-2018 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2669700)
It's pleasant but both singles seem to heading a bit too backwards towards SATT/PFAYM tones than I was hoping for after RTF/Futurology.

Struggling to really say much more about this after three listens.

Gotta release a few bankers to keep the mansion ticking over... there'll be great stuff on the album!

FacelessSenseOfVoid 16-02-2018 12:45

Apparently the lyrics were written by James. Explains why they're a bit different to Wire's style and why it sounds like a TGW song. I actually prefer his lyrics. Wish he would just do another bloody solo album!

Tim 16-02-2018 13:18

It’s an interesting exercise coming here after listening to a new track, really quite enjoying it after 2 listens and reading silly comments like this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby (Post 2669694)
I no longer want to be an enabler.

Preorder cancelled.

:lol:

Seriously? Get over yourself.