Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

sculptureofabloke 30-03-2015 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2638549)
Perhaps the record company already assessed the demand of the live album format and concluded that sales-wise it was a non-starter.

As you say, there's more than enough material for a live compilation.

I dunno... Even if it's half the demand of Futurology or Rewind The Film, I'd expect for a major label, live albums and other compilations are bloody cheap to make. The gig/gigs already happened and that's not cost the label anything, they're not having to ship the band off to an expensive studio or hire a big name producer and wait however long for them to finish recording. Wouldn't expect you'd have to shift that many units to turn into a profit.

Automatik 30-03-2015 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2638551)
I dunno... Even if it's half the demand of Futurology or Rewind The Film, I'd expect for a major label, live albums and other compilations are bloody cheap to make. The gig/gigs already happened and that's not cost the label anything, they're not having to ship the band off to an expensive studio or hire a big name producer and wait however long for them to finish recording. Wouldn't expect you'd have to shift that many units to turn into a profit.

That's a good point. Presumably the record company would view hardcore Manics fans (like us) as a sort of captive market for any live release, and that it consequently be financially worth their while to put one out.

Maybe it is just the band saying no.

sculptureofabloke 30-03-2015 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2638553)
That's a good point. Presumably the record company would view hardcore Manics fans (like us) as a sort of captive market for any live release, and that it consequently be financially worth their while to put one out.

Maybe it is just the band saying no.

Yeah, course it probably wouldn't outsell any of their studio albums or compilations, but it'd be neither here nor there for the label surely, may as well go along with it.

I vaguely remember the band slagging off live albums in the past though.. Well, course they did, they're a thing :p

Automatik 30-03-2015 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2638554)
Yeah, course it probably wouldn't outsell any of their studio albums or compilations, but it'd be neither here nor there for the label surely, may as well go along with it.

Given Lipstick Traces, Forever Delayed and National Treasures, an 'MSP Unplugged' live compilation is the only traditional music industry milk-of-the-cow that hasn't been done.

And like LT, FD and NT, if they banged an 'exclusive track' (i.e. most likely dug out an old song that wasn't even fit to be released as a b-side) on it, I am sure that I would buy the record out of sheer completeness. (And of course the Japanese release would have an extra track...)

I won't even try and hide it.

Nobody 30-03-2015 15:37

Would love to see a 2-3 disc compilation of unreleased live tracks from throughout their career. Presuming it's mixed right and the best performances are picked. The previous videos are good by they are more of significant concerts then good concerts.

---

Found this in an Oxfam shop today, had to buy it:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ps7mmqgyd6.jpg

No Manics on the tape, just for the cover. It's from 1993, I wonder if anyone thought this was a bit in poor taste.

Automatik 30-03-2015 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobody (Post 2638557)
It's from 1993, I wonder if anyone thought this was a bit in poor taste.

Oh, NME, you so controversial.

I wonder what the band thought of that at the time. I am sure they were aware of it.

I know Richey thought his appearance as the caricatured 'Clarence' of the 'Crazy Sked Moaners' in the Judge Dredd story 'Muzak Killer' (Garth Ennis and Dermot Power) - who cuts '4 RALE [sic]' into his forehead with a laser during an interview and promptly dies - around the same time was amusing.

At least that's what I read.

gracie 30-03-2015 16:14

Whenever I'm skimming through Manics blogs and stuff and I see scans of Sean on the front of drums magazines, Nick on bass magazines etc, I always imagine that if Richey were here today, while the boys were doing music related shit, he'd be on the front of Vogue. So fucking chic.

Quote:

I know Richey thought his appearance as the caricatured 'Clarence' of the 'Crazy Sked Moaners' in the Judge Dredd story 'Muzak Killer' (Garth Ennis and Dermot Power) - who cuts '4 RALE [sic]' into his forehead with a laser during an interview and promptly dies - around the same time was amusing.
Oh, Richey. :heart: :lol:

slop101 30-03-2015 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2638555)
an 'MSP Unplugged' live compilation ....

Oh, yeah, give me a live album of MSP songs done like this below, that are awesome, yet completely different from the album versions!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XHrcO55umSA

Strawberry 31-03-2015 18:47

I just looked at some of the What are you lusting after? thread and Aw at the photo of Nicky Wire on page 66.

Automatik 31-03-2015 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 2638668)
I just looked at some of the What are you lusting after? thread and Aw at the photo of Nicky Wire on page 66.

Why is the first letter of every one of your posts highlighted in a different colour? Is it an acrostic?

Strawberry 31-03-2015 19:05

No, it's not an acrostic. I just think the colours are pretty.

Automatik 31-03-2015 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 2638671)
No, it's not an acrostic. I just think the colours are pretty.

Fair enough. I feared I was missing out on an in-joke.

Dac X Lee 01-04-2015 04:47

At my morphology classes today, while talking about affixation, they included examples like "intravenous" and "convalescent". Made me wanna listen to Know Your Enemy so much....

bachelorette 01-04-2015 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac X Lee (Post 2638700)
At my morphology classes today, while talking about affixation, they included examples like "intravenous" and "convalescent". Made me wanna listen to Know Your Enemy so much....

Morphology classes sound amazingly cool! Do you study at X-Men Academy or something? What are you morphing? :)

Bathtub 01-04-2015 11:48

I was reading the Q review of No Manifesto and saw the Manics described as a "cult band". How are they a "cult band" with a deal with Sony, an appearance on Strictly Come Dancing, multiple Brit Awards and number 1 singles and records?