Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   B-side opinions (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=54156)

Flint 11-09-2010 10:04

B-side opinions

Seeing as people have started to receive the singles, any opinions on b-sides?

I gotta actually jet off just now so I can't really give a proper analysis but I'm enjoying these much more than the samples gave off. The sort of things that are obvious b-sides but are good b-sides rather than instant throwaway stuff. Nice, loose and relaxed feel to them. And I love the keyboard/piano bits on them, especially Ostopolitik where that piano makes the song. I'm Leaving You for Solitude is my favourite so far, really bloody enjoy that song, but seeing as I've heard that several times already and the others just once I won't be making a full decision here right now.

Has the vinyl single also been released to the public btw? I only ordered the CD ones.

Manicben 11-09-2010 10:10

Really underwhelmed to be honest. I'm not joining the glut of haters but nothing on there jumped out. I think the best was probably Distractions. I've yet to listen to I Know The Numbers.

The single has grown on me but I'm hoping these were b-sides for a reason and that the album is better.

napnet86_ 11-09-2010 10:14

I've not got a working vinyl player so it'll probably be tomorrow before I get to hear I Know The Numbers when I download the single off iTunes, but from first listen the b-sides are quite enjoyable for what they are - Distractions and Ostpolitik are the two standouts for me.

Napoleon Bonaparte 11-09-2010 10:35

Solitude I already knew & liked (Rickenbacker:heart:) & Distractions & Ostpolitik are solid enyjoyable B-sides. Lost Voices is just okay, & Numbers has to wait until tomorrow.

centralscrutiniser 11-09-2010 10:56

Yep the vinyl came as well. B sides generally v good but Lost Voices the best I think

Tidus 11-09-2010 11:12

Distractions is nice, Ostopolitik is okay (though I don't know why they keep doing instrumentals all of a sudden), Solitude is nice enough.

Lost Voices is shite though.

Manicben 11-09-2010 11:13

I like that they do an instrumental each time. :)

gallafield 11-09-2010 11:20

i like "lost voices". nice guitar riff in the chorus. nothing fantstic, but a good song nonetheless.

"distractions" - "there is no love, only willing gentleness" is a fucking great line. the vocal effect in the verses reminds me of "buildings for dead people". and the bit before the chorus singing starts sounds really good, the chords just sounds quite whole. which is probably a shite way of describing it, but it makes sense to me.

"ostopolitik" - oooh, lovely piano. some nice guitar work too. but the piano definitely makes this song.
these instrumental b-sides always make me wonder if they either couldn't be bothered writing lyrics for them, though. i think i'd listen to them more if they were songs, rather than instrumentals.

"i'm leaving your for solitude" is good, but i already knew that.

"i know the numbers" will have to wait until i can acquire it another time. or get a vinyl player.

Mr Richey 11-09-2010 11:26

Mine arrived this morning but I've not had the time to listen to any of them. Will report back later instead.

_Bloo_ 11-09-2010 11:43

Not half bad! Made a sick day in bed all the better. Distractions had me doing some awful clappy dance.

Beat Poet 11-09-2010 12:21

I think ILYFS and Ostopolitik are awful, but was pleasantly surprised by IKTN.

FacelessSenseOfVoid 11-09-2010 12:53

Distractions is superb.... really really like the solo on it, reminds me of a GT or GATS b-side.

MSPKYE 11-09-2010 12:56

I quite like them! Distractions is great

TStenner 11-09-2010 12:56

distractions is my favourite as it were, though i haven't played the 7" yet.

ostopolitik is pretty swish, though i thought it sounded more like a song that would have gone better with vocals

lost voices hasn't enchanted me, and i'm leaving you for solitude just makes me turn off and listen to hey jude

but i love them overall, will ease the wait for the album.

EDIT: ostopolitik reminds me of a good picturesque

Mr Richey 11-09-2010 13:09

"Distractions" - really like this one, in spite of the fact that the verse chords ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL to those of "Auto Intoxication". That spoils an otherwise cool song.

"Lost Voices" - sorry, I don't understand the hatred for this one. I really like it.

"Ostopolitik" - very much like the Lifeblood era b-sides and a damn good instrumental really. But possibly a wasted opportunity for a full song. Seems like it's crying out for a vocal.

"I Know The Numbers" - no way to listen to this one at the moment sadly :(

Overall, I'm impressed. I'd certainly replace one of the PFAYM album tracks with one of the tracks here. But I'm not going to say which ;)