Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

sculptureofabloke 13-11-2015 10:41

Listening to my Japanese import of Everything Must Go. For some reason this is the only Japanese Manics album to not have the bonus tracks stuck on the end, with No-One Knows What It's Like To Be Me stuck in after The Girl Who Wanted To Be God and Black Garden chucked in after Interiors..

If they take EMG20 to Japan, surely they're obliged to play it this way...?

That said, the Japanese National Treasures thing was bollocks only saying so cos I wasn't there

Singles in Japan:

Stay Beautiful
You Love Us
Motorcycle Emptiness
Theme From MASH
Little Baby Nothing
From Despair To Where
La Tristesse Durera
Roses In The Hospital
Faster/PCP
A Design For Life
Everything Must Go
Further Away
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
You Stole The Sun From My Heart
Nobody Loved You
Forever Delayed

Not singles in Japan but played anyway:

Suicide Alley
New Art Riot
Motown Junk (although it's on their Stay Beautiful single if they want to count it..)
Love's Sweet Exile
Slash N' Burn
Life Becoming A Landslide
Revol
She Is Suffering
Kevin Carter
Australia
The Everlasting
Tsunami
The Masses Against The Classes
Found That Soul
So Why So Sad
Ocean Spray
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
Autumnsong
Indian Summer
It's Not War Just The End Of Love
Some Kind Of Nothingness
Postcards From A Young Man
This Is The Day

What is this madness?

sculptureofabloke 13-11-2015 12:19

True, but it's quite a leap between not playing two, (well four if we're counting the AA sides) and playing 23 that aren't...

Takk 13-11-2015 12:39

Surely they just played the uk singles and threw in a couple of extras.

sculptureofabloke 13-11-2015 12:40

But UK singles aren't always singles in Japan...

Lord Revan 14-11-2015 18:04

Anyone know which font is used for the EMG cover?

Edit: I asked on another forum and the answer I got was Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold.

Automatik 15-11-2015 18:56

Always wondered why Nobody Loved You was released as a single in Japan.

Anyone know?

Takk 15-11-2015 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2652676)
But UK singles aren't always singles in Japan...

No but they were touring national treasures.

Son of Stopped 15-11-2015 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2652802)
Always wondered why Nobody Loved You was released as a single in Japan.

Anyone know?

Wasn't it released in Japan instead of "The Everlasting"? Still no idea why they did it like that.

hummingbird 15-11-2015 19:44

maybe Japanese radio chose to play it a lot?

Automatik 15-11-2015 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2652804)
Wasn't it released in Japan instead of "The Everlasting"? Still no idea why they did it like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird (Post 2652805)
maybe Japanese radio chose to play it a lot?

Alongside Tolerate it's the most rock-out track on an otherwise rather delicate-sounding album. Presumably it was considered to be more marketable, particularly given that EMG - which TIMTTMY was being measured against - had the more anthemic, rousing songs.

Why only in Japan, though? Maybe it was just a Japanese radio favourite, as hummingbird suggests.

Valley_Girl 15-11-2015 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2652806)
Alongside Tolerate it's the most rock-out track on an otherwise rather delicate-sounding album. Presumably it was considered to be more marketable, particularly given that EMG - which TIMTTMY was being measured against - had the more anthemic, rousing songs.

Why only in Japan, though? Maybe it was just a Japanese radio favourite, as hummingbird suggests.

Because of "cherry blossom tree"?

I also found this: Billboard: NLY was in a Japanese commercial for a Sony Minidisc Walkman

sculptureofabloke 16-11-2015 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takk (Post 2652803)
No but they were touring national treasures.

Eh, still balls. The Japanese release is susceptible to the trade descriptions act seeing as half of it wasn't singles. And the UK one wasn't complete as it said on the cover either...

That's a point though, got me thinking about New Art Riot now too. Heavenly have been very cooperative, all 7 tracks Manics did with them has turned up on Sony stuff too. Suppose that'll be why there's been half a dozen pressings of New Art Riot, that Damaged Goods kept hold of it, didn't allow any of the tracks on Sony stuff until the box set. I wonder if Sony actually approached Damaged Goods before or couldn't be arsed, not like they struggled for b-sides in 92 and 93 but 94 was a bit thin on the ground.

I wonder too, if Yes were to be released Feb 95, if they had b-sides lined up or we'd have been looking at Judge Yr'self and a Faster remix or summat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2652804)

Same artwork, too.

Nobody 16-11-2015 13:50

I always thought it was just a decision by the Sony Japan. Maybe NLY was chosen as it was the heaviest track and would appeal to fans of the early albums. Though in general Japanese music fans always loved having exclusives such as Bonus Tracks. So maybe it was exclusive single.
Aside from this and Further Away, Japan has had quite a few other exclusive releases such as Know Your B-sides, Forever Delayed EP, Everything Live on DVD and the series of 2 disc re-issues. A lot of this occurs for other non-Japanese bands there as well I'm sure.

Nobody Loved You being in a commercial (first time I've heard about this) would probably be a good reason to release it as a single. A few years ago Everything Must Go was used in a beer commercial in Japan. After that it popped up on several compilation albums and was also a bonus track on the Japanese edition of Lipstick Traces.

I think the only other country that has had an exclusive single would Sleepflower in the US, though that was I think only a promo.

Son of Stopped 16-11-2015 14:01

FD's Twitter has sadnessinhiseyes and a picture of the cover to one of the singles of TLORN.
What's that about?

Blue 16-11-2015 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2652825)
FD's Twitter has sadnessinhiseyes and a picture of the cover to one of the singles of TLORN.
What's that about?

It's a piss take of Kay Burley's twitter response to the Paris attacks I suspect.