Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

raven 17-12-2017 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pineapple (Post 2668601)
I can't stand Taylor Swift. I find her control over her own image creepy....the level of emotional control and the way she manufactures perceptions of weakness to seem relatable. UGH!

All credit to her for this though ...https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...being-punished

Dac X Lee 18-12-2017 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven (Post 2668602)
All credit to her for this though ...https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...being-punished

That's exactly the reason I'm not a Taylor hater.

Dancing Kirby 20-12-2017 21:54

This week I can finally listen to disc 2 of SATT10 from start to finish without having to skip track 3.

taxexile 23-12-2017 13:07

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...for-its-money/

Automatik 04-01-2018 15:51

Enjoyed having Ghost Of Christmas on all the time the last three weeks. Fantastic Christmas song.

taxexile 06-01-2018 18:49

Tony Visconti: ‘The thing with Phil Lynott was that he was visibly dying’

Quote:

Albini the control freak

Visconti is one of music’s greatest producers – a little bit like a 1970s equivalent of George Martin thanks to his work with Bowie, Marc Bolan, The Moody Blues and Sparks. The American producer and musician Steve Albini has repeatedly said over the years that he prefers to call himself a recording engineer. “When I think of a producer, I think of one of those industry losers with a beard and a ponytail sitting in a chair telling the band what to do,” Albini once said.

“Well, I know people who have worked with Steve Albini and he is the biggest control freak I’ve ever heard of,” Visconti responds. “He says one thing and he does another. His whole philosophy is based on working with groups, so sure, he’ll let them play and he records them, but I’ve heard from people in Nirvana and Foo Fighters who said he constantly told them what to do. I would dismiss anything Steve Albini says and I’d challenge him face to face on that any time, anywhere.”

still_unfashionable 30-01-2018 16:32

I am always late but I would still like to extend my late birthday wishes to Nicky. Hope he had a great day. :heart:

UEF 02-02-2018 10:14

International Blue is the most Queen track they’ve ever made

Dac X Lee 03-02-2018 07:14

It was snowing a few days ago. I was listening to 4st 7lb while walking in the snow. ...and leaving footprints.

Automatik 03-02-2018 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac X Lee (Post 2669391)
It was snowing a few days ago. I was listening to 4st 7lb while walking in the snow. ...and leaving footprints.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!

Automatik 03-02-2018 13:08

The EMG survivor poll reminds of how cheated I generally feel by covers, in comparison to new material (i.e. b-sides).

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of decent covers (Red Sleeping Beauty, We Are All Bourgeois Now, The Drowners, Wrote For Luck...) but do people really want covers ahead of new songs?

Suicide Aldi 03-02-2018 17:27

Im nit fond of covers either.

sculptureofabloke 05-02-2018 12:00

Very rarely listen to Masses with it not being on a standard studio album. Grabbed one of me copies of Know Your Enemy to stick on, ended up being the Australian one with it on and hearing it now has reminded me of how I felt first time hearing it.

Is it just me or is that "A slave begins be demanding justice, ends by wanting to wear a crown" line a bit Daily Mail? I know it's Camus, but they've used it to end a song called The Masses Against The Classes. Today, it makes me think of some of the attitudes people have towards victims. We read it all with Yewtree, we're seeing it with Weinstein etc, alleged victims are only coming forward for the attention. The victim is undermined to the extent that people are more focussed on their motives for coming forward now (why not then?), than on what the alleged perpetrators are supposed to have done. Do the survivors of Grenfell, the families of Hillsborough etc deserve compensation? - fine, we'll accept responsibility, but don't push it.

"A slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown" is something I could imagine Katie Hopkins saying, if she were eloquent enough.

ata 05-02-2018 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke (Post 2669436)
Is it just me or is that "A slave begins be demanding justice, ends by wanting to wear a crown" line a bit Daily Mail?

Taken out of its context, why not.

The whole quote is :
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Camus
“The rebel defies more than he denies. Originally, at least, he does not suppress God; he merely talks to Him as an equal.
But it is not a polite dialogue. It is a polemic animated by the desire to conquer. The slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown. He must dominate in his turn. His insurrection against his condition becomes an unlimited campaign against the heavens for the purpose of bringing back a captive king who will first be dethroned and finally condemned to death. Human rebellion ends in metaphysical revolution. It progresses from appearances to acts, from the dandy to the revolutionary.
When the throne of God is overturned, the rebel realizes that it is now his own responsibility to create the justice, order, and unity that he sought in vain within his own condition, and in this way to justify the fall of God. Then begins the desperate effort to create, at the price of crime and murder if necessary, the dominion of man.”

So, different meaning imo.

Son of Stopped 06-02-2018 00:13

Tomorrow is a poetry night with the theme of "My Queen". Got my pieces ready. They were looking for songs for the playlist.
"REPEAT" ah, first thought! But it's a public place etc.
"WE HER MAJESTY'S PRISONERS" ah, again that "Ceremonial rape machine" bit might be offensive to some women there.
So it's "Royal Correspondent" that managed to make it into the playlist.
Every month I try and get a Manics song selected. Every. Month.
Finally broke through! And for a bonus I got Queen's "March Of The Black Queen" AND "Kings And Queens" by Soft Machine as well. Three song choices of mine made it to the playlist! Probably isn't going to happen again for a million years.
(And even more off-topic, whereas most music is built around the drums, "Kings And Queens" is built around a bassline as Robert Wyatt and company melt around it. Jazz Rock is awesome you guys!!!)