Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

Geranium Terrorists 15-08-2014 19:07

As there's no 'Nicky's gear' thread...
Nicky's new drop tuned bass (replacing the Jazz bass) is a Yamaha RBXA2. It's apparently very light, probably the feature Nicky went for when buying this bass.

hummingbird 15-08-2014 19:08

his back will be pleased

Geranium Terrorists 17-08-2014 20:36

Well, for three to four songs in the setlist. Then he'll have to lug the Precision around again.

Dac X Lee 20-08-2014 00:22

I think they chose the wrong song for this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9BqrSAHbTc

Check out the frame at 2:08 to find out why. ;)

hummingbird 20-08-2014 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac X Lee (Post 2614324)
I think they chose the wrong song for this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9BqrSAHbTc

Check out the frame at 2:08 to find out why. ;)

wow thats the best advert for sun block ever. And yeah spotted it :D

Bobafettish 20-08-2014 21:16

I struggle to see why they thought they should make PFAYM, and out of the past 5 albums it sticks out like a sore thumb.

SATT surely was the real 'One Last Shot'... i.e, after LB's relative failure it proved they could still make radio-friendly hits, and with guitar-pop still relatively fashionable and commercial, it succeeded. Still a chart-worthy band. That monkey was off their back.
JFPL was re-connecting with Richey's lyrics again, feeling they had nothing left to prove. It also re-connected them to a perhaps more indie-orientated audience (Kerrang acoustic shows, Richey-NME covers and posters) and made them kinda cool again. It proved they hadn't lost the ability to make a harder record. At this point they were still invited on Radio 1, so they hadn't 'lost-it'.

With both of those things achieved, slaying both demons, you'd have thought they'd be more comfortable to then challenge themselves and bring fresh ideas (i.e. the more logical step would be the albums we've got now in RTF and Futorology).

Instead, Postcards pushed them further towards the Radio 2 sound than anything relevant, cool or chartworthy. Just WHY :(

hummingbird 20-08-2014 21:41

midlife crisis?

Nature's Discontent 20-08-2014 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobafettish (Post 2614415)
Instead, Postcards pushed them further towards the Radio 2 sound than anything relevant, cool or chartworthy. Just WHY :(

Answers on a postcard... Sorry :p

In all seriousness though, I see the point you're making and agree to an extent. But for me SATT was announcing their return, and PFAYM was the natural follow-up, sidestepping JFPL which I think they were saying at the time shouldn't be considered as a regular album in their canon but as a stand-alone 'piece of art' (or something along those lines).

To use a tennis analogy, SATT was the big serve, JFPL the sneaky backhand and PFAYM the expected winner along the line, except it narrowly missed and was called out :p

Porco 21-08-2014 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent (Post 2614418)
To use a tennis analogy, SATT was the big serve, JFPL the sneaky backhand and PFAYM the expected winner along the line, except it narrowly missed and was called out :p

"...Excuse me… Oh you can't be serious man, YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! THAT BALL WAS ON THE LINE! Chalk flew up! It was clearly in! How can you POSSIBLY call that out?! … He's walking over… everyone knows it's in in this whole stadium, and you call it OUT?!"

Scarecrow 24-08-2014 12:33

Listened to Tigers recently for the first time in a while. Enjoyed it a lot more than expected, it's held up fairly well. There are still a few songs that I wish had been swapped for b-sides, may have made it that little bit stronger, but the rejuvenation of that period still holds most of it.

Dac X Lee 24-08-2014 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird (Post 2614377)
wow thats the best advert for sun block ever. And yeah spotted it :D

Yep. It's a good one.

MonkeyGeorge94 27-08-2014 07:53

The drum sound on Europa Geht Durch Mich sounds exactly like the drum sound on The Holy Bible demos. Perhaps there are more Holy Bible demos waiting to be released?

Scarecrow 27-08-2014 10:10

Overheard recently: "Are the Manic Street Preachers still going!?" with a tone of incredulity. :lol:

Manualex16 27-08-2014 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porco (Post 2614423)
"...Excuse me… Oh you can't be serious man, YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! THAT BALL WAS ON THE LINE! Chalk flew up! It was clearly in! How can you POSSIBLY call that out?! … He's walking over… everyone knows it's in in this whole stadium, and you call it OUT?!"

love that movie, even if it's a bit unrealistic :lol:

Suicide Aldi 31-08-2014 23:36

The original version of Tenasea ( the one on the Suicide ally be side ) is friggin awsome! The completely ballsed it up on the album version.