Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Live Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   28/06/20 Halifax Piece Hall (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63122)

MSPKYE 20-01-2020 09:23

28/06/20 Halifax The Piece Hall

LA ex 20-01-2020 19:35

Seeing as it's just up the road from me I guess I should....

Is this the first of many gigs like this for the summer? Fingers crossed, although would be good if they announced them all at once rather than forcing people to panic buy for a gig in Halifax only to find out a week later they are playing a more convenient location.

junkymotown 21-01-2020 03:42

That's quite a venue to be playing! I used to go there as a kid with my Grandma or my Dad and look round the old second hand shops. I expect it's changed quite a bit since then though...

wireobsessed 21-01-2020 15:56

The venue is amazing. That’s why I’m going to def get tickets. If they’re going to play summer festival-type things at least this is a quirky venue. Should be good.

mishima 22-01-2020 18:23

Wonder if this will be the GATTS gig

Lee 22-01-2020 23:54

Nicky posted on Instagram earlier that they’ve just had their first rehearsal of the year.

Songs included Pennyroyal Tea, Damn Dog, Drug Drug Druggy, Landslide, and Postcards.

Interesting. Very interesting indeed.

junkymotown 23-01-2020 00:03

Wow, let's hope some of those appear in the setlists (and that the band finally learns how to write Pennyroyal Tea properly!!)

LA ex 23-01-2020 20:07

Whilst I'm excited about the prospect of DD and DDD appearing in the set list, isn't it now a pre tour ritual for Nicky to mention rarities have been rehearsed that don't end up played?

blackflower 24-01-2020 09:02

I think the songs he mentioned pre-TIMT tour all came to pass? I remember Sleepflower and Solitude Sometimes Is being mentioned and they were both played!

LA ex 24-01-2020 09:03

... And I'm in!

After recent gig buying experiences that was all rather stress less, thank goodness!

Abstract Unknown Girl 24-01-2020 09:10

Got our tickets with no issues. Halifax is less than an hour away from us, so couldn’t say no to this! Looks like a nice venue too.

blackflower 24-01-2020 09:12

I'm not sure whether to go for this or wait and see if something in or close to London comes up. I'm tempted because everyone says it's such a good venue!

everlasting 24-01-2020 10:58

I'll think about it for a bit. The venue is a beautiful place with lots of little quaint shops, I've been once before, two years ago, just after it's long and expensive redevelopment. If anyone likes to read up on places like I do, here is some information and pictures :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piece_Hall

amay 24-01-2020 14:44

On the tickets site there was an option for 'VIP' - early entrance, private bar etc. Hope that wasn't the band's choosing, and I'm not keen on going if people who can afford it can skip the queue.

Abstract Unknown Girl 24-01-2020 19:42

It’s not the band’s policy, as there’s a series of gigs at Piece Hall and the other gigs also have these premium tickets. It says on See Tickets you get this included:

“Fast track private entrance into the event Access to the covered balcony areas for upper level viewing throughout the event Exclusive access to the private VIP Balcony Bar Access to separate Balcony toilet facilities”

But then the Piece Hall site only says “Premium tickets (with access to upper balcony level with premium bar and toilet facilities)” and doesn’t even mention a fast track entrance.

I don’t think a fast track entrance necessarily means early entry as such anyway, just a separate entrance that’s probably only called fast track because there won’t be as many premium ticket holders as the GA queue, but could be wrong. Premium tickets have already sold out, so I doubt there were that many for sale in the first place and I imagine most into that kind of thing will be headed straight to the bar anyway.

Son of Stopped 24-01-2020 22:58

So this will be the first time they've played a gig using that system? Have a great one whoever's going!

Repoman 07-02-2020 23:04

That’s me booked. Looks like an interesting venue. Expensive though don’t you think? £50?

LA ex 09-02-2020 11:45

I'd say that £50 is about the going rate for bands of the Manics size and reputation. Tickets for Suede's coming tour are pretty much the same price and I'd put them in the same bracket, whereas Supergrass (who I'd put down as being slightly lower level) are £40.

It's one of the sad facts of life, but for bands of the nineties the majority of their fanbase are probably around the forty years old age, which promoters realise and adjust their prices according to what they perceive their disposable income as being.

Repoman 09-02-2020 17:05

Yes, probably it is about right on reflection. I really fancy seeing Suede playing Coming Up but I’ve probably got a marathon the next day and they aren’t really compatible..

Piece Hall is 7,500 capacity apparently so it’s half arena sized and probably about top weight of what they could draw nowadays if the last (ill advised) arena tour is anything to go by.

Looks like a nice venue. It’s going to be sunny, right?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-40778633

theraven1979 10-02-2020 13:35

If you're a fan of BSP also the ticket price is an absolute steal!

Abstract Unknown Girl 01-04-2020 11:28

Unsurprisingly, postponed to Sunday 20th September: https://twitter.com/manics/status/12...897594370?s=21

Routine Builder 01-04-2020 15:18

Not Forever Delayed yet then...

LA ex 01-04-2020 17:54

Not exactly surprising news.

Has there been any news on the support gigs with The Killers and Greenday (which are mainly at football stadiums)? I guess the complication with those is that if moved to September then suddenly the football clubs may be wanting them for matches and not want the turn round of preparing them for concerts.

Abstract Unknown Girl 01-04-2020 22:45

Nothing announced about The Killers yet (or Green Day as far as I’m aware), but I think it’s only a matter of time. Bristol council apparently have already said all public events scheduled in the city up until July are cancelled and TK are supposed to play there in June. Their UK tour is due to start at the end of next month, but clearly it won’t. If they don’t flat out cancel the gigs, I can’t see them being until the same time next year due to the football clubs wanting their pitches back, so it could be that they are still trying to re-arrange dates.

Dancing Kirby 02-04-2020 09:37

Well, it’s not happening in September either. Let’s be realistic.

Abstract Unknown Girl 02-04-2020 12:31

Well no, I’m resigned to not attending any big events for the rest of the year.

LA ex 02-04-2020 17:02

I guess the question is, how soon after isolation ends do big events start up and running again?

mishima 02-04-2020 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl (Post 2682089)
Nothing announced about The Killers yet (or Green Day as far as I’m aware), but I think it’s only a matter of time. Bristol council apparently have already said all public events scheduled in the city up until July are cancelled and TK are supposed to play there in June. Their UK tour is due to start at the end of next month, but clearly it won’t. If they don’t flat out cancel the gigs, I can’t see them being until the same time next year due to the football clubs wanting their pitches back, so it could be that they are still trying to re-arrange dates.

I don't understand why TK are holding out on announcing the cancellation? Insurance perhaps? Keeping the ticket money in the bank as long as possible for interest? Whatever the reason it's bloomin' annoying. I bought the tickets for a friends 'significant' birthday, soI would like the money back soon to buy her something else (haven't got a clue what).

LA ex 16-06-2020 10:54

Unsurprisingly postponed till next summer (27th June), meaning 2020 will be the first year since 2012 I won't see them live :-(

Repoman 16-06-2020 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA ex (Post 2683104)
Unsurprisingly postponed till next summer (27th June), meaning 2020 will be the first year since 2012 I won't see them live :-(

Just got my notification too. The new date is Glastonbury weekend, not that I would be going.

Entirely as expected. I work in the business and I can't see live music returning in any significant way this year

blackflower 16-06-2020 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repoman (Post 2683106)
Just got my notification too. The new date is Glastonbury weekend, not that I would be going.

Entirely as expected. I work in the business and I can't see live music returning in any significant way this year

Out of interest, with your inside knowledge, when do you think live music will be feasible again? I’ve read articles suggesting not until autumn 2021, do you think that’s reasonable?

Repoman 01-07-2020 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackflower (Post 2683107)
Out of interest, with your inside knowledge, when do you think live music will be feasible again? I’ve read articles suggesting not until autumn 2021, do you think that’s reasonable?

Sorry for the slow response. Busy trying to keep my venues going...

I would say autumn 21 is (hopefully) pessimistic. I think outdoor will be back first, then seated, then standing, but who knows. You may have seen a five point plan for a return to live music / theatre published by DCMS recently. It is basically a plan for how to safely rearrange the deckchairs on the Titanic. Useless without dates.

We have full diaries for gigs in Spring 21 but hat means nothing. We had full diaries in Spring 20...

Look out for a campaign on social media tomorrow ]#letthemusicplay it's the biggest campaign to date lobbying the government for action. Tweet about the last gig you went to. If that's your thing ;-)

blackflower 01-07-2020 16:39

Hey no worries, fully understand how busy you must be and thanks for the response! I hope you’re right that autumn next year is pessimistic and we can have at least some outdoor or seated gigs before then.

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for that campaign, I can retweet my blog post about my last pre-lockdown gig (the Lounge Kittens in Feb!)

LA ex 22-02-2021 17:24

If my understanding of today's announcement is correct....

Large Events can resume in the UK 21st June.

Manics scheduled to play Halifax Piece Hall 27th June.

Oh yes!

hummingbird 22-02-2021 19:26

Edit : changing comment cos I thought social distancing in some form would still be in place but "full crowds" doesn't sound like it. Fingers crossed !

LA ex 23-02-2021 20:52

Investigating further, the Piece hall schedule is three gigs a weekend for three weeks, for which I'd assume they'd set up the stage, etc and keep it in place for the full run to save on costs, etc.

The first trio of gigs (Nile Rodgers, Doves, The Cribs) falls on the 18th-20th of June i.e. before the 21st June deadline. In an ideal world they'd just be shoved to the weekend afterwards, but in reality other commitments may prohibit that.

Would only having six gigs instead of nine make a difference to the feasibility of running the events? Will venues be happy having expensive events running so close to the proposed date knowing it could be shifted back by the government at any moment. Who can really say....

Routine Builder 24-02-2021 12:07

I think it's probably about 50/50 this would go ahead. I wouldn't blame promoters for not trusting the government's timeline given the track record and there's been a lot of talk about Vaccine passports lately. It seemed like a week ago, there was no possibility of them coming in, and now it seems like you might need one to enter any pub or restaurant. At the moment, social distancing is not ending on June 21st so this may scuttle planning of large events at least in the short term.

James1985 26-02-2021 22:09

anyone think this will still go ahead....if all being well possible but im sure Manics or Promoters are gonna push it back it September

LA ex 28-02-2021 15:54

If Reading festival can go ahead then I'm sure this will at some point. It'll be interesting to see how the first gigs roll out, with some people likely to be nervous about being around so many people. I'm guessing that people will be more comfortable with outdoor rather than indoor concerts initially, but who will take the plunge and risk doing the first big gig, with uncertainty about how many people will attend will be interesting to see.

everlasting 08-03-2021 12:13

So it's now moved to September. I looked to see how much tickets are, £49.50! I've been saying for a year now basically that I want to get to more concerts and events after the awful time we've gone through but that's a lot of money. Sure I paid a little over £30 last time I saw them in 2018? I'll think about it. Will be strange to be around a crowd again, not entirely sure I'll be 100% comfortable but we'll see.