Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

cricri 17-07-2011 11:15

I would love to buy one of those two book

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU02_.jpg

but I'm afraid they might be both crap.

Any suggestions?
I was reading people's review, and ''Richard'' seems the most appreciated one (Franny, is that you?) by fans and non-fans.

ALSO, what's the difference between this and this? Is the first one an updated version or something? It will also have 416 pages, while the one that is already out only has 288 pages.

ennanire 17-07-2011 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricri (Post 2313337)
I would love to buy one of those two book

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU02_.jpg

but I'm afraid they might be both crap.

I love this book!

Son of Stopped 17-07-2011 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricri (Post 2313337)
Any suggestions?
I was reading people's review, and ''Richard'' seems the most appreciated one (Franny, is that you?) by fans and non-fans.

ALSO, what's the difference between [.

Isn't a Version Of Reality based more on reality than the Ben Myers book?
Or is A Version Of Reality a missed chance. I haven't read either, but if I have to pick this one over Richard. Bearing in mind they've probably had the same amount of research!

franny 17-07-2011 11:26

Yeah that review is me. Though I seem one of the few on here who enjoyed it.

cricri 17-07-2011 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Stopped (Post 2313340)
Isn't a Version Of Reality based more on reality than the Ben Myers book?
Or is A Version Of Reality a missed chance. I haven't read either, but if I have to pick this one over Richard. Bearing in mind they've probably had the same amount of research!

But ''Richard'' got some more positive reviews than ''A Version of Reality'', or so I assumed from my internet based research.
That's why I'm confused :confused:

amay 17-07-2011 11:32

I've read A Version Of Reason, and I'm about halfway through Richard (two books about Richey in two weeks!). I thought A Version Of Reason was good - it didn't really tell me anything hugely new but it was well researched and interesting. I particularly liked all the anecdotes from his old friends/teachers etc, and I liked how it was about his whole life, not just when Richey was in the Manics. I'd recommend it!

I haven't read enough of Richard yet, I'm finding it a bit odd to be honest because even though it's based on fact, it still feels very fictional (like it was all made up, not just parts of it). Also I don't really like how half of it is written in second person, and some of it just doesn't sound like things Richey would say. But I'll reserve full judgement until I've finished it!

cricri 17-07-2011 11:34

thanks everyone for your comments!
keep em coming, please!

cricri 17-07-2011 11:35

I found this statement by Nicky in a comment about ''Richard''

Quote:

Thirdly, as Nicky Wire quietly put it on Radio 2 last night: It's just so presumptuous.
from here

meganslastwords 17-07-2011 15:00

A Version of Reason was good, haven't read Richard so I can't comment on it but everyone I've spoken to about it has criticized it for being too fictional

cricri 17-07-2011 16:00

just placed my order at play for this
http://www.play.com/ProductOutline.a...1867982&r=BOOK

thanks everyone :smile:

meganslastwords 17-07-2011 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricri (Post 2313433)
just placed my order at play for this
http://www.play.com/ProductOutline.a...1867982&r=BOOK

thanks everyone :smile:

good choice :)

Grant 17-07-2011 17:52

Not too sure what to make of Version of Reason.
I suppose I'd say that I like everything Richey related, but I found this book a struggle if I'm honest.

Grant 21-07-2011 05:49

I woke up to a text from my best mate (who owns and runs his own magazine/literary group), saying "May be doing a speech for Manics in London. Jealous?".

I hate him :mad:


Nah seriously though, I'll find out today what this is about and report back! :D

The Gutless Wonder 21-07-2011 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by crush_my_bones (Post 2315587)
I woke up to a text from my best mate (who owns and runs his own magazine/literary group), saying "May be doing a speech for Manics in London. Jealous?".

I hate him :mad:


Nah seriously though, I'll find out today what this is about and report back! :D

Sounds intriguing! :D

franny 21-07-2011 10:19

A speech for? Sounds intriguing.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.