Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

The Gutless Wonder 01-11-2011 22:26

YLAINE is FABULOUS!!! :D

hummingbird 01-11-2011 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2378586)
Made a National Treasures playlist of my own and been listening to it tonight. Two thoughts:

1) Feeling overwhelmed by nostalgia and love for this band because they have such a gorgeously fantastic and brilliant singles run...

2) ... until YLAINE which is such an insane drop in quality from all the 30-odd songs before that it's just tragic. It's an alright song and admittedly I'll always have a soft spot for the chorus and the Nicky cameo but going from a gigantic run of excellence to just alright is such a clumsy drop.

Bah bah bah.

i'd say the drop comes with autumnsong. Have a bit of a love/hate thing going on with YLAINE.. most of the time i think its grrrrrrrreeaattt and others i think *meh* and skip it

Littlesue 01-11-2011 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2378586)
Made a National Treasures playlist of my own and been listening to it tonight. Two thoughts:

1) Feeling overwhelmed by nostalgia and love for this band because they have such a gorgeously fantastic and brilliant singles run...

2) ... until YLAINE which is such an insane drop in quality from all the 30-odd songs before that it's just tragic. It's an alright song and admittedly I'll always have a soft spot for the chorus and the Nicky cameo but going from a gigantic run of excellence to just alright is such a clumsy drop.

Bah bah bah.

This, listening to Grace of God followed by TLORN followed by Empty Souls then comes YLAINE:cry:

TStenner 01-11-2011 23:18

watched the music video for YLAINE on NT dvd, had completely forgot how good it is!

nsebastian 02-11-2011 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird (Post 2378623)
i'd say the drop comes with autumnsong. Have a bit of a love/hate thing going on with YLAINE.. most of the time i think its grrrrrrrreeaattt and others i think *meh* and skip it

Agreed on both counts. I have to say I really disliked YLAINE as a song before I really thought about it as a concept, then I gave it another listen and loved it. Sometimes the chorus still grates on me though, and I have to skip it.

Grant 02-11-2011 11:08

I found my Gen Terrorists cassette in my brother's room.
Since when was he allowed to have good taste!?

:p

The Gutless Wonder 02-11-2011 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by crush_my_bones (Post 2378853)
I found my Gen Terrorists cassette in my brother's room.
Since when was he allowed to have good taste!?

:p

Ha! Ha! That's just the beginning...........................!!! :lol:

culture of destruction 02-11-2011 14:09

Boxes and Lists would have been a better single than YLAINE

three_days 02-11-2011 14:29

For me the most dramatic drop is Robeson. That one's just really bland while YLAINE is at least meaningfully poppy.

Manic Street Mike 02-11-2011 14:46

YLAINE was the first one I heard so I have a massive soft spot for it, but it's not brilliant.

There By The Grace Of God is a triumph.

Son of Stopped 02-11-2011 17:51

And the random CD I found shoved into the Manics section in Birkenhead's HMV today is... JETHRO TULL THE COLLECTION. If I had the cash (it'll probably be gone by tomorrow) today I would of bought it myself.
But I wonder what the significance is? Does the person who put it there think Jethro Tull are more 4 Real? Was it placed there by a mentally ill person?
Or is it a private joke that us lower mortals are shut out of?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SHARE YOUR "JETHRO TULL IN THE MANICS CD SECTION" JOKE WITH THE REST OF THE CLASS? *end Headmaster role.

Bobafettish 02-11-2011 17:55

YLAINE is so difficult for me to define. I think it's their most bland single, their cheesiest, their most desperate. It's just a paint by numbers song. That said, it's why they're here now, it's why I started investigated them, cos I'd heard they used to be better than they were ;)

The Gutless Wonder 02-11-2011 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobafettish (Post 2379154)
YLAINE is so difficult for me to define. I think it's their most bland single, their cheesiest, their most desperate. It's just a paint by numbers song. That said, it's why they're here now, it's why I started investigated them, cos I'd heard they used to be better than they were ;)

Yeah, but like Jeff Lynne once said.................................. ;)

starryknight 02-11-2011 22:32

YLAINE...you are the audio equivalent of a lump of turd on a clean white marble floor in this CD. I wish they'd released some JFPL as singles now to balance out this latter dross.....

The Gutless Wonder 02-11-2011 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by starryknight (Post 2379451)
YLAINE...you are the audio equivalent of a lump of turd on a clean white marble floor in this CD. I wish they'd released some JFPL as singles now to balance out this latter dross.....

How very dare thee! :mad: :mad: :mad:


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.