Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Random Manics thoughts... (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56592)

Automatik 03-05-2016 14:20

Browsing a recent issue of Q (I know, I know), I chanced upon a photo of Kanye West (of all people) wearing a jacket onto which was sewn the Richey 4REAL image.

Now, presumably I'm not the only person on here to have noticed this, so: what's the backstory - if there is one?

wannagetout 03-05-2016 15:33

The jacket is by designer Raf Simons.
Music has formed an integral part of Simons’ work, with references to musical figures such as the Manic Street Preachers's Richey Edwards and Joy Division’s Ian Curtis and his Fall-Winter 1998 collection (Radioactivity) featuring members of German electro band Kraftwerk as models.
http://c.looklive.com/s/Manics-Camou...MzZmE2MjYwYw==

Automatik 03-05-2016 18:17

That's the one. Google has it coming up at over €4000 a pop.

Any idea what the band or the Edwards family think of this usage?

Anaconda Vice 07-05-2016 14:54

I wonder if Kanye even knows who Richey Edwards is? It's like a millionnaire version of the Ramones shirt worn by a non-fan.

I also wonder what his family thinks of it, especially in light of how his problems would escalate soon after. It is an iconic image and statement but it's the knowing somewhat where the story goes after that.

I was also bugged by the "What would Richey think?" stuff that came with the announcement of "Together Stronger" - the same Richey who was in a band that wanted to sell 18 million copies of "Generation Terrorists" then split up.

I wish people would stop holding Richey up as some kind of "Punk" icon like that. It sprang up when they did "Some Kind of Nothingness" on Strictly Come Dancing. Maybe Richey would totally have done it had it happened in 1992.

The self-appointed "Punk Police" are a weird sort.

Borderliner 07-05-2016 22:47

For the first time in my life I heard how James says 'ooh ooh agh agh agh' right in the beginning of Dead Passive just like he did in Buildings For Dead People.

Maaaan, I should listen to those tracks more often.

Nobody 12-05-2016 09:03

I've just noticed that the band vevo page has put up Faster, Grace of God and Let Robeson Sing from TOTP:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ManicSt...ersVEVO/videos
Quite an improvement over my old VHS copies.

Frozendiva 16-05-2016 03:39

I do promote the Manics to any and all North American folks. I am a regular poster at PreviouslyTV and I posted a link to '(Feels Like) Heaven. Probably gotten at least a few hits from that site.

Son of Stopped 20-05-2016 20:16

"Do they like the white background around Everything Must Go?"
I'm just checking now.
"IF they like the white from the cover they will like the white of Futurology!"
I still think you should get a second opinion on this Nicky!

Automatik 21-05-2016 12:12

Forgotten how much I adore the plaintive piano outro on Bad Boys And Painkillers (3.13 on). Gets me every time.

Automatik 21-05-2016 12:57

Does anyone know what the working title of SATT was?

Porco 21-05-2016 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatik (Post 2659005)
Does anyone know what the working title of SATT was?

No, but it's fun to speculate...

Not A Hull City Fan
Tony Off The Frosties Ads Can Do One
To Repel Cats
Panthera Tigris Excursion Project
If You Tolerate This, Your Cubs Will Be Next
The Big Cats Against The Fat Cats
Reformatting Volumes With Mac OS X 10.4 Installed

Automatik 21-05-2016 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porco (Post 2659008)

Genuine guffaw out loud when I read these two.

Bambi 21-05-2016 14:20

Quote:

Not A Hull City Fan
To Repel Cats

Porco has correctly identified that it was initially a concept album, with other tracks including Undercats, Your Fluff Alone is Not Enough and, my personal favourite, Impractical Bodyhair.

Porco 21-05-2016 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 2659011)
Porco has correctly identified that it was initially a concept album, with other tracks including Undercats, Your Fluff Alone is Not Enough and, my personal favourite, Impractical Bodyhair.

:lol:

The Second Greaaaaaaat! Depression
Roarrrrrndition

sculptureofabloke 22-05-2016 08:00

Quote:

Not A Hull City Fan
To Repel Cats

:mad: maybe see you next season, maybe not. Saturday will be an interesting day...