Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum

Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Manic Street Preachers Discussion (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Liverpool Revisited - out 6th April (http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62791)

UEF 09-04-2018 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2671347)
The bit that appeared in the trailer is the most inspired piece of music out of all four songs so far and I love it, but it's a shame it's been surrounded by otherwise such a nothing of a song. And the "skie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ies" etc parts are just plain bad.

Really not confident about the album anymore, and that saddens me.

I've had a full range of emotions listening to it. It's a nice album. PFAYM 2 with some occasional bursts of brilliance.

Flint 09-04-2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2671348)
I've had a full range of emotions listening to it. It's a nice album. PFAYM 2 with some occasional bursts of brilliance.

I admittedly like PFAYM and you say this in an encouraging manner, but PFAYM 2 (or SATT 3, rather) is the very last thing I wanted this band to do so this isn't really getting my hopes up.

Porco 09-04-2018 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2671359)
I admittedly like PFAYM and you say this in an encouraging manner, but PFAYM 2 (or SATT 3, rather) is the very last thing I wanted this band to do so this isn't really getting my hopes up.

I think you can definitely make a case for it being like SATT and PFAYM in some ways, but it has its own identity too, and I would argue there are, in keeping with the themes of the album, fragmented pieces of broken nods to all their previous work, both musically and lyrically.

So my advice to everyone who hasn’t heard it yet is not to worry, and try not to prepare to judge it too much on your first listen either. I will be interested to see what everyone thinks of it, but I think I’ll be more interested to see what people think of it after a few days or a week or so... it’s at once brisk and pacey, but also quite densely layered, IMHO.

Son of Stopped 09-04-2018 14:05

Well they're getting the feet under the table I feel. We could have a really wonderful album nobody thought they were capable of in a few years.
RIF might not be that one, but it should be a pleasant enough listen.
Even if it turns out to be the GATS to what they do after it, that'd do me fine, thanks!

Europa Gluten Free 09-04-2018 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2671359)

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEF (Post 2671348)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 2671347)
The bit that appeared in the trailer is the most inspired piece of music out of all four songs so far and I love it, but it's a shame it's been surrounded by otherwise such a nothing of a song. And the "skie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ies" etc parts are just plain bad.

Really not confident about the album anymore, and that saddens me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porco (Post 2671361)
I think you can definitely make a case for it being like SATT and PFAYM in some ways, but it has its own identity too, and I would argue there are, in keeping with the themes of the album, fragmented pieces of broken nods to all their previous work, both musically and lyrically.

I'd love to know what people mean on here with the PFAYM and SATT references. I think different people use them in different ways.

For me, for example, PFAYM means over the top production and sheen and weak songwriting/inspiration.

This new album is not PFAYM 2. Neither in sound nor content. I think there is a lot going on for the first listen, and it can be difficult to digest the nuances in the songs. But with more listens you can hear that it is solid lyrics powering thoughtful well crafted songs. The guitar sounds are lovely (the only guitar I don't like is Vivian and Sadness) and there are some nice riffs and solos. But truly this is an album of melody.

I am possibly the most critical of Manics fans so I don't say it lightly but it really is a fantastic album and has nothing to do with PFAYM.

Flint 09-04-2018 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free (Post 2671363)
I'd love to know what people mean on here with the PFAYM and SATT references. I think different people use them in different ways.

To me it's a core concept of easy, radio-ready (at least for once upon a time), somewhat overly polished and eagerly edited 3½ minute rock anthems, where the aim seems to be to try to please an imagined audience and to recapture some old glories when the band soared the airwaves (without actually really grasping why the anthemic rock songs in EMG etc are great). It could work in theory (and personally I think PFAYM got close to it but very inconsistently), but it seems to come together with weak songwriting both lyrically and musically. The general feel for me is that when the band goes that route it's just not as inspired as when they express themselves without that audience in mind.

As Porco's pointed out the album's not out yet, I've not listened to anything beyond the four previews and I won't really have a "real" opinion until I've had the time to properly stomach the album, but the songs I've heard share that same core. The production may be marginally different but all the other elements are there.

hummingbird 09-04-2018 18:35

I've listened to it through tablet speakers so I'll reserve proper judgement till I can listen to it properly.
Judgement likely to consist of a couple of sentences. I'm
crap at articulating why I like songs. I'll just quote someone and say wot he/she said :)

someone, somewhere, soon 10-04-2018 09:25

for me, this one's the most b-sidey so far; a fairly rudimentary acoustic strumalong thingy, with well intentioned but heavy handed lyrics and a guitar solo that just doesn't seem to fit (sorry Nicky). would fit happily on CD2 of the second or third single off one of their late 90s albums.

Marconi Delorian 10-04-2018 12:10

The "ahhhs" now keep turning in to Dancing Queen in my head.

UEF 10-04-2018 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian (Post 2671407)
The "ahhhs" now keep turning in to Dancing Queen in my head.

Not the first time they've ripped that song off :lol:

someone, somewhere, soon 11-04-2018 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon (Post 2671403)
for me, this one's the most b-sidey so far; a fairly rudimentary acoustic strumalong thingy, with well intentioned but heavy handed lyrics and a guitar solo that just doesn't seem to fit (sorry Nicky). would fit happily on CD2 of the second or third single off one of their late 90s albums.

the song's made such little impression on me that it was only when it came up on the drive home last night that i realised it's nowhere near being the acoustic track i previously recalled.

it's not that it's bad bad - just seems to be, like, four or five 30 second segments of other songs sewn together. the solo is irritatingly familiar but i can't place where from.