View Single Post
Old 28-01-2019, 14:27
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post

If I was to speculate about where a rift came from, it might have been the focus on the band rather than the family in the first years following Richey's disappearance. Quite a few raw things were said by both James and Nick that they would probably have not made public today. The family were ignored back then and it's only since around the mid 2000s did Rachel step up to claim his cause.
I think the rift came from the sense that the band accelerated Richey's issues. I think Nicky has mentioned this himself over the years. I'm sure the thought is there if he had never joined the Manics, he would be still around. And that's a plausible argument.

I also do wonder if the success of the band makes his sister feel that they profited from it. And you could argue that they have profited. The Manics have always been about rock n'roll mythology, and Richey's disappearance, the book he left behind etc etc is building up that myth. What if Richey just left in 1995? What would have happened? They wouldn't have had that emotional wave to ride on to produce an album like EMG. With a song like DFL it would have still been successful, but it wouldn't have been the same album.

It's a very difficult situation.