Thread: Distant Colours
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2018, 18:09
Winterlover

The nice thing about both tracks, is that they have little details in the music that make it more than just a rinse and repeat. There's a nice bit in Int. Blue where the chords repeat twice under the solo - the only time it happens in the solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
These days putting a song out for the radio and online video channels is much more important than actually selling them in terms of singles.....
Yup. The whole single-album-single-single-single thing is long gone. The first song off a new album is pretty important - you need a slick release with a vid, get the thing on Spotify the job lot. Everything after that can be whatever you want. Remixes, slow versions (as they have done with IB.) Some artists release a track a week, some release 4 at once, some release the whole album in a drip.

I know some have said that this one is a bit weak, and I'd tend to agree in the main. I think the verse on this track feels a bit weak, but it recovers at the end, and again there are some nice little flicks that make it interesting. Hopefully that's a trend that continues throughout the record. That said, whether it's a good single or not is about as irrelevant as the pop charts themselves. Sure, it's a bit of a weird track to choose. But why not experiment with your singles when 2nd/3rd singles don't matter that much anyway?