View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 15:16
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
I'd love to know what people mean on here with the PFAYM and SATT references. I think different people use them in different ways.
To me it's a core concept of easy, radio-ready (at least for once upon a time), somewhat overly polished and eagerly edited 3½ minute rock anthems, where the aim seems to be to try to please an imagined audience and to recapture some old glories when the band soared the airwaves (without actually really grasping why the anthemic rock songs in EMG etc are great). It could work in theory (and personally I think PFAYM got close to it but very inconsistently), but it seems to come together with weak songwriting both lyrically and musically. The general feel for me is that when the band goes that route it's just not as inspired as when they express themselves without that audience in mind.

As Porco's pointed out the album's not out yet, I've not listened to anything beyond the four previews and I won't really have a "real" opinion until I've had the time to properly stomach the album, but the songs I've heard share that same core. The production may be marginally different but all the other elements are there.