View Single Post
Old 16-04-2018, 19:52
Born to end

Totally agree - International Blue is such a classic bit of Manics and a really inspired song for a band working on their 13th album. Having listened to the record a few times now front to back, one thing that has surprised me is that I *really* enjoy The Left Behind, which wasn't a track that I seemed destined to appreciate based on album reviews and my feelings about other Nicky-led tracks. I don't dislike all of them (I really love Williams Last Words and Holy As the Soil), but the ones I rlike tend to have some great JDB vocal moments as well, which TLB doesn't have.

I'd say the worst track for me is A Song for the Sadness - it's pretty derivative of In Eternity and doesn't really do anything for me. A few other songs are simply average, but in general, I like the record a lot. Sequels of Forgotten Wars roars in a way that is pretty notable for a band this far into their career. But International Blue is by far the best track and will go down as one of the great Manics singles of all time...but hopefully not their LAST great single!

Also, Distant Colours works much better for me on the record than it does as a single. People Give in is a great opener that is reminiscent of Solitude Sometimes Is. And Hold Me Like a Heaven is a major grower.

Heard a rumor the Manics will be coming to US shores in November - hope that happens! It'd be great to see them cranking out IB live.