View Single Post
Old 27-06-2019, 23:51
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post
I agree with those views about Lifeblood and it's why I tend to now look at Lifeblood as more of an era than just the album. Forever Delayed and There by the Grace of God could have comfortably fitted on to Lifeblood as Door to the River could have. Even some of the B sides like The Soulmates, Litany and Antarctic might have been a better fit for that sweeping sound you mention.

It isn't one of my favourite Manics albums, but it does irritate me a little when they trash it as there is some good stuff on there (1985, Song for Departure, To Repel Ghosts, Solitude Sometimes is and Cardiff Afterlife are particular highlights and I've always wanted to hear a studio version of the heavier Empty Souls they did live a few times). When you add in the songs mentioned above, it could have been one of their strongest bodies of work.
Interesting so how would your Lifeblood/FD/GSTM combined tracklist look? I revisited Lifeblood and it's marginally better than I remembered and I really wanted it to be great. I have a affection for the idea and attempt at the icey synth sound, but some of the songs feel underwritten. If you switched in save FD/Firefight, There by The Grace of God and Door to the River you are getting towards excellent.