View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 21:03
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Literally woke up with it in my head today. And it's not necessarily my favourite from the album.

The St. David's Hall version is wonderful, especially with James using the backing vocal sample for the chorus. Makes it absolutely pop. So good.

After listening to it about 10 times this morning, I went back to the PDF of the booklet and the lyrics are great too. Really like the chorus. I do wonder who is the "You" in the chorus that has the voice that Wire writes about. Would be interesting to know.
His mother.

When Wire introduced the song in Cardiff (2nd night, which I attended), he said it was about "the beautiful cadence, the joy and comfort I got from listening to my mother's voice"

https://youtu.be/HJR8Y_Rm0vo

I have to say, hearing him say that as the band then played it... I had a moment. I wasn't bawling or crying buckets, but there were definitely tears.

I lost my mother last year, just before the pandemic hit. As you can imagine that was tough and I've felt slightly adrift in the last 20 months. So that chorus resonated with me more than it did before.