View Single Post
Old 21-04-2019, 20:02
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
Oh, also, did anyone else get the distinct impression that Jo was not directly involved in this book? Which surely makes publishing her letters to Rachel an invasion of her privacy too?
She didn’t want to participate because, according to SHR, “she wanted to keep her memories of Richey to herself”, but if that’s the case, why allow personal letters he sent to be used if she wants to keep her memories of him to herself? As for Richey’s letters to her and quoting her letters to Rachel, apparently she gave them permission to use them, but the correspondences with Rachel seem to end in 1998. There was that part about what was in the box he left for her, but it’s hard to tell if it’s from a recent correspondence or before 1998. I got the impression she seemed kind of a little meh about what he left in the box (I actually dug the realness of her opinions relating to the books he left her. ) and “from memory” kind of makes me think she either put it away for safe keeping or she no longer had it. According to the authors, they spoke with her when writing the book, but were not allowed to quote her nor were they allowed to see the box or it’s contents. Presumably she agreed to chat with them because of Rachel’s involvement so why wouldn’t she allow them to see the box? Like I said, she probably doesn’t have it anymore. I mean, if that’s the case, no one can fault her for moving on. I do wonder though if she’s read the book and if she, like Richard Fry, feels as though she was misrepresented. I did feel like the authors and Rachel kind of laid it on heavy about his heartbreak over losing his girlfriend and that her refusal to marry him (smart girl!) played a huge part in his decision to leave.

As for whether he’s dead or not, I think he’s likely dead, but as I’ve always maintained, I don’t think he jumped from the Severn. It’s too simple. The fact that his body has never been found is the stuff of legends and myths which is something he probably intended. If he had jumped from the Severn, there’s no guarantee that his body wouldn’t have washed ashore. I think he went somewhere else, but has likely since died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4our5ive6ix View Post
Well, she did work for The S*n, so I wouldn't expect anything less.
True, but to claim you’re friends with the person and then to betray their trust like that? I mean, the guy had crippling trust issues too, but who cares about that because he’s probably dead? I’m still shocked that his sister allowed any of this to be published regardless of her motives.