View Single Post
Old 31-01-2019, 11:47
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Maybe it needed a more experienced writer/journalist?
Maybe Rachel felt she needed a friend to write it. You can see it’s hard though as it gives over your control. I can see why she’d be so fiercely controlling over who has access to his archives, who they get to talk to, wanting her brother’s memory to be reflected in the book but a writer can’t do that if they get too close. The portrait risks still being seen through a glass darkly albeit a different glass so to clumsily speak
Sure, an experienced journalist could write a book but what would it achieve? They would be following all the same rules as other biographies, but sometimes a more unusual perspective can illuminate something a standard approach would not.

Maybe that's more what Rachel was interested in, as she would probably know what a book by an experienced writer or journalist would be like. Perhaps she wanted the passion of someone not willing to accept established interpretations of an individual's story, wrapped in a Manic-shaped bag.

Despite that, I haven't made my mind up on the author. But if the work brings up just one fresh avenue that sheds new light on Richey then it may still be worthwhile.

She may have upset people with her theories and behaviour on FD. But she may also have been using it as a tool for debate rather than friend making. Lots of people are ruthless professionally but lovely in person.