View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 18:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
In essence, a majority of online conversation is driven by a small but very loud group of people with exceptionally narrow viewpoints (says someone on an internet forum.) But companies these days are genuinley scared of anything that might give them a downtick in sales, so they firefight each social media shitstorm.

Half of the stuff that comes from the ethical foghorns is just folks getting angry about the thing they happen to disagree with that day. These people are no fun down the pub I assure you. And I bet 98% of people who buy from the Co-op would still shop there if the advertised in the DM. They just want a Fair Trade broccoli at a decent price.

You can see why people like Stephen Fry etc get fed up with online virtue signalling and end up binning the whole thing off.
Sure and this whole anti DM campaign came about because the group don't agree with Brexit....everyday the DM runs stories and images that are sexist, prejudiced, narrow minded - you can take your pick so why jump on this issue ..... it could be interpreted as the group themselves having a political agenda rather than simply calling out prejudice and hate....
Having said that I don't think it's wrong to ask companies to think about where they advertise. I know it's difficult to do that and ensure you're not curtailing free speech (though free speech is not the right to say whatever you want regardless of other people's rights....but I digress) and companies really just want to reach the largest audience they can rather than be seen as endorsing particular viewpoints....but they do get a lot of revenue from advertising so I can see why it's tempting to target companies and ask them to effectively boycott a particular paper...on the other hand who wants business to potentially lean on newspapers and be invited on to their editorial team through the back door.....yeah i think I've just talked myself out of it

(It's such a hateful paper though you can see the temptation to hit them where it hurts and that is via advertising revenue)
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson