View Single Post
Old 18-04-2018, 12:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I don't know if we're going to be looking at PFAYM3 you know.. My biggest disappointments from this album is there doesn't seem to be much fire in there, it's quite tame. I mean I love their more introspective and tender moments, This Is My Truth is probably my joint second favourite behind Holy Bible...

I don't know what I was expecting really, was hoping for it to be more defiant than resigned but suppose that's just life. People get tired, people get old eh. I dunno though... Alright, I've got no more idea what it's like growing up in the valleys in the 80s than they have the struggles people face today and alright I was 9 in 92 but feel like there must be more fucked up shit in the world to get pissed off about today than there was then. Maybe it's just a primacy/recency thing, and the fact I was 9..

I do take encouragement from a few things. They've got form for reacting against themselves anyway so wouldn't expect the next album to be in a similar vein to this. Read a bit the other day about Wire waxing lyrical about Stormzy's performance at the Brits and even though what I've heard of his music isn't my thing, I loved the passion and energy of it and if that's going to inspire Nicky I think that's got to be a good thing. Then there was the Absolute Radio thing with James doing Garageland - the lad looked absolutely in his fucking element, still got the punk in him, maybe it'll come out next time.
To be totally honest, I wasn't really so sure about the title of the album and cover picture at first, but after reading and hearing the various interviews (great to have so many to work through) I guess they sum up the place Nicky Wire in particular finds himself in.

He has said in interviews, things that are very close to him in his life life have changed and are changing in unimaginable ways, much like the Japanese samurai in the cover picture. I guess there comes an acceptance that trying to resist those changes is indeed futile, but that there can still be a sense of defiance and pride.

I think the album perfectly captures that conflict of acceptance / rage that he has written about before.