View Single Post
Old 25-03-2020, 22:01
Winterlover

I enjoyed listening to your passion for this album and that, along with the pod in general, has reminded me why i fell in love with this band in the first place. The album opened up a big old can of issues though huh? As it should, i suppose, but it's not easy to get into so i'm not surprised rob'tman didn't, i didn't myself for several listens. It's an uneasy, off-kilter, discordant thing that you need to be in the right frame of mind to tackle, once it does work its way in though then it really latches on and won't let go. I don't think it's at all boring musically, it's not as polished (the US mix proves it shouldn't be, though i love the version of she is suffering) but there's so much going on. I think the studio they recorded it at has long been torn down as well, which feels somewhat appropriate.

The release of this is fascinating, i mean it comes out at the height of britpop from a band dressed in military gear and an album full of songs of humanity at its absolute worst. They're surrounded by bands singing about wanting to get high and not giving two fucks about anything other than where the next spliff is coming from. I love the idea that Yes (MSP - the band that likes to say YES. 100% artificial insincere hypocritical guarantee) was potentially going to be a single.

Where do you really stop covering this album though? I fully appreciate why you wanted to go over it line by line as it feels like that's what it deserves yet you're aware this two part pod is barely scratching the surface; i seem to remember reading about the full page ads just reprinting the lyrics. You could quite easily write a thesis on the album and people have - triptych, the book of essays, being a good starting point.

Couple things i picked up on.

On the issue of an intervention, i'm pretty sure the band spoke to richey about removing himself from touring and whatnot and just focusing on writing lyrics but richey was against that. Until it eventually got so serious he had to be checked in and i think that reading festival clip i linked to last time was without richey onstage for the first time, no wonder james is so antagonistic.

The other thing is giving due credit to sean for the musicianship, i was glad to hear you bring that up but too often james has been credited with all of it.

Looking forward to the next part.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.