View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 11:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
While that may be true, we must be very, very careful about assuming anything about the causes and triggers for mental health difficulties. While I have not got a BPD diagnosis, I have seen psychiatrists about self harm. I will never forget one asking about sexual abuse in childhood, and when I replied that, thankfully, that has not happened to me, she asked ‘are you sure?’, and when I confirmed that I was, she wrote that I was in denial about childhood trauma.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am that they mentioned that at all.
As a psychologist myself when trying to diagnose BPD it is standard for one to ask about early childhood abuse. If this is denied by the client, that should be the end of it and other diagnoses should be considered. For example, I have had many cutters as clients and they were all profoundly severely depressed. One should not be pigeonholed into a diagnosis just because they meet ONE criteria. For that matter, no diagnosis should be made until several tests, observations, and interviews are conducted. A diagnosis should NEVER be made from one answer to a question.