View Single Post
Old 14-10-2010, 10:21
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
Matthew did mentioned earlier that "they felt like the end of something" - did anyone else who was there feel like that?
I vividly remember turning to the people I was with after the final night and saying: "wow, that was like it's the last gig they'll ever do". I've been kind of haunted by that ever since, because although I have generally seen them at least once on pretty much every tour since, in some ways it still feels like it was.

My other memories are pretty scattershot and too personal to be of much use. I remember staying on in London after my college term finished for Christmas and walking to the Astoria each night from Kilburn. I remember wearing army surplus and too much eyeliner. I remember the band (Nicky) being on edge, which I've since put down to the sound issues they were having. I remember my rather beautiful companions dancing in high heels on the tables they used to have upstairs but, strangely, not whether I joined in. I was at the very least stood on my seat! I remember getting very excited when James played Bright Eyes. I remember buying an 'I am hypocrite whore/stud slut cunt/cock piece of 20th century motherfucking shit' T-shirt. I remember sitting on the steps in the venue bar after the last gig, not engaging with anyone else apart from my friends (not that I was very outgoing anyway), and then leaving quite early, so it was definitely an odd night. I still have the ticket stubs/aftershow pass at home. After one night I bought a massive poster outside of the Faster/PCP single sleeve that I wish I still had, it took up most of a wall in my flat at the time.

I persuaded one of the girls I went with (both of whom were more committed fans than me in 1991-94) to go to her first Manics gig since the Albert Hall in 1997 when they played the Astoria again in 2007. She had such a good time that we went to see them at Brixton that winter as well. That made me very happy.