View Single Post
Old 13-03-2020, 22:33
Winterlover

Huh... the songs you think they're gonna hate they absolutely fucking love and vice versa, case in point being roses in the hospital! I'm quite surprised at the lack of love for it and clearly the two strongest tracks on the album being hated (from despair to where) or getting a lukewarm reception (la tristesse durera). Speaking of the latter, wasn't the title the last words of van gogh to his brother? Oh, and if i'd been drinking tea at the moment i heard a comparison to the lighthouse family i most certainly would have ruined a keyboard, good lord...

However, the pod was redeemed by the life becoming a landslide segment: extremely entertaining so well done you. My admiration for that track came late to me but yeah, it's either amazing or ludicrously over the top. Although the crescendo is quite beautiful.

Couple other things i picked up on - i seem to recall that the yourself lyrics are a reference to american psycho and bateman's obsessive daily routine. I think the novel was an influence on richey and most likely a part of their group reading list. With regard to the mysterious percussion on nostalgic pushead, i'm going to agree with that person on twitter who said it's a pool ball hitting a frying pan, i seem to remember sean mentioning that in one of the many many magazine interviews.

I do like that you're providing context about where the band are at at the time they made these albums since it informs so much of who they are i think, never moreso than the holy bible after their visits to the concentration camps. Very curious about the other's thoughts on that unforgiving granite obelisk of an album. I think it's worth mentioning though that the manics are a very reactionary band depending on the last thing they recorded and how it was received, hence why i think they dropped the blouses, eyeliner and sloganeering with this album. And ooh boy, will the holy bible be a wholesale rejection of the fm rock of gold against the soul.

We're all aware of how our own personal manics fandom waxes and wanes over the years but this pod and the music snippets have been stoking it up again. Which is nice.

For the from despair to where haters (hard to believe, i know), here is furious james from reading festival '94:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAsqRC4_34
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.