View Single Post
Old 24-08-2020, 19:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Reading the comments on the manics podcast twitter thread about zeitgeist it's amazing to me that people still can't give credit to the album because of nicky's voice. I mean when you think of the decades of songs/albums where the singer didn't technically have a great singing voice you have to wonder whether these people dismiss those too. Nicky's voice wouldn't be at all appropriate for the songs on the great western but it's absolutely suited to the lo-fi sound of zeitgeist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
I agree with you, Tim.
But, honestly, I see nothing wrong in Nicky's singing voice either. I mean, he's not James, but so what? He doesn't have to be.
What's wrong is he can't sing...ha...and I have all the time in the world for Nicky so mean no disrespect There are many who can't sing but they have something distinctive, a character to their voice if y'like..Bob Dylan, Tom Waits are maybe the obvious...so I agree it's not necessary but depends on what you be trying to convey...I can do without Nicky's voice normally...but...I do love As Holy as the Soil...which is very emotional and wouldn't be the same without Nicky's voice so it ain't all about being pitch perfect (but you wouldn't want me as a guest vocalist on owt...suicide is preferable...I mean painless maybe)

Whilst musing aimlessly it can go the other way too...singer's with incredible voices who rarely find their chance to really own it...I always find George Michael's rendition of Somebody To Love incredibly moving and read he got very worried and nervous he wouldn't do it justice but it was incredible and at the other end of the spectrum Courtney Love ain't blessed with the best tune carrying but if you want sheer grrrl rage she's incredible

Other singers like Whitney sing such bland songs that to be frank it takes someone trying to cover them for you to appreciate just how gifted they are ...

Ramblings
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson